Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCBA Jump Seat Question

We have 1998 Engine with SCBA Jump seats and the brackets that hold the SCBA have a nylon strap that goes around the pack and then locks into a latch. The strap has a release line that you have to pull in order to free the SCBA from the bracket.
    My question is how important does everyone feel that these straps are used? I know they are meant to keep the SCBA from flying out in case of an accident but they are a pain in the "Butt" to use. Also if you are wearing your seat belt doesn't that do enough to keep us safe in case of accident. I have also seen the newer brackets that have strapless setup, seems they would be much more user friendly. I wasn't sure if this was the correct place to post this but I would appreciate any input.

Stay Safe

js

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of our newer brackets with the straps will not hold the SCBA upright, the older version utilized the spring clips with would hold the pack nicely, though I certainly wouldn't want the straps undone while no one rode in the seat. On the other hand, releasing the strap wile boarding always made more sense to me as the pull string didn't get caught between your back and the SCBA, probably not the manufacturers intention but...

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

I'm of two minds here. After putting on the pack with the strap still attached a few times they can be a real pain.. on the other hand, not as painful as getting clocked in the head with one in the case of an accident. There was a video around somewhere that showed what happened to a fire helmet in an accident.. now imagine that happening with an SCBA.

As you said, if someone is sitting in the seat.. with the pack on, and seatbelt on then the strap is not necessary. It's when the seat is vacant that the strap is vital to keeping the pack in place.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

We have these on our older engine. We put the "safety" pull strap over the pack and the straps. When a guy goes to sit down, he pulls the cord and sits. That way, no one is putting a pack on and forgetting the pull strap. That style of SCBA bracket does not, in our case, replace seat belts.

Our newer engine, we went with Bostrom brackets. Much "friendlier" to use and more secure.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    When a guy goes to sit down, he pulls the cord and sits. That way, no one is putting a pack on and forgetting the pull strap.
    In my case I pulled the release, sat down, put on the pack, put on my seatbelt and secured my radio. When I went to get up I found that said strap, SCBA straps, seatbelt, radio mic, and truck intercom headset had formed a Gordian Knot of epic proportions. I'm sure my suspenders would have been involved too if I wasn't wearing the jacket over them. Yes, it was truly one of my shining moments.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

As you said, if someone is sitting in the seat.. with the pack on, and seatbelt on then the strap is not necessary. It's when the seat is vacant that the strap is vital to keeping the pack in place.

I would agree with what you said. Our SOG for putting the pack on while in the jump seat is to first pull the release for the strap, enter the cab, put on your seat belt, then the shoulder straps and waist strap for the SCBA. We are then to attack the face piece to the regulator.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    In my case I pulled the release, sat down, put on the pack, put on my seatbelt and secured my radio. When I went to get up I found that said strap, SCBA straps, seatbelt, radio mic, and truck intercom headset had formed a Gordian Knot of epic proportions. I'm sure my suspenders would have been involved too if I wasn't wearing the jacket over them. Yes, it was truly one of my shining moments.
    Too Funny!!! Sometimes I think we forget how many cords are attached to us.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

when the pack is strapped in, i usually place rthe shoulder straps in the nylon security strap. that way the ff who will be sitting in the seat knows before they sit down and get enroute, that they need to release the strap and then don the scba.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

That particular SCBA bracket was the worst piece of garbage every produced for the fire service. Our dept. temporarily replaced them with the old spring clips style. Those things are gonna hurt somebody someday (if they haven't already) or cause a FF to go full bore postal. Replace 'em.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    That style of SCBA bracket does not, in our case, replace seat belts.
    Is there anyone or any company saying you can skip the seatbelt when using the SCBA straps? I'd be surprised if anyone allowed this or advocated it in any manner!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool SCBA Straps

In my FD I have only witnessed (1) older Captain get hung-up in a "Super Secret Granny Knot" that happened while he was getting dressed enroute to a call.

We have these straps on all of our primary response Units and how I get dressed is: Turnouts on, shoulder strap loose, waist strap loose and once I'm done with my Radio Report I exit the cab, put my helmet on and tighten the straps on the BA. I've never had an issue, but by typing that I may have just screwed myself. LOL.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Quote Originally Posted by JSMV72 View Post
    We are then to attack the face piece to the regulator.
    Why would "attack" the face piece? What did it do to you?
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Why would "attack" the face piece? What did it do to you?
    Opps, wrong word, LOL. Maybe attach would have worked better.

Quote Originally Posted by JSMV72 View Post
    Opps, wrong word, LOL. Maybe attach would have worked better.
    I know, I was just busting you chops!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Yep, I been there did that, but I took it to the next level. I released the seatbelt and started to hop out. I looked like some sort of spidey prize dangling halfway out the door.

We keep the release hooked on the side of the seat and I put the BA on leaving the retaining strap between the pack and my back and as soon as I hit the ground tighten the straps on the BA. Works out good for me.

Personally, instead of locking straps and seat belt/SCBA compatibility issues, I wish they would just start putting the air packs back in the compartments and just put it on when you get there.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Personally, instead of locking straps and seat belt/SCBA compatibility issues, I wish they would just start putting the air packs back in the compartments and just put it on when you get there.
    You know, 21 years ago when I started we only had one engine that had SCBA seats. Guys were so used to jumping out, putting them on, and grabbing hose that there was no delay between guys climbing out of the "new" truck with 'em already on vs. guys jumping out.

I bet now there would be a delay because we just are not used to putting them on standing up anymore.

Something to be said about that my friend!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Our engine's have these straps and I think they are the most annoying things ever. haha. I tiller on a truck company and none of our trucks have these. Our packs are in compartments. So, if i have to fill in somewhere and use these I ALWAYS forget to pull the strap to release the pack.. Slightly embarrassing. haha.. But I guess its "safe"
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Thread Information