Forum Member

Default Uniform Policies?

Does your volunteer department have uniform policies? Is it different for calls? training's? meetings? events?

Let's talk fire trucks!

We have Class A, B, and C uniforms.

Class A is a long-sleeve formal shirt and blouse, "bus-driver" hat, dress trousers, polished Clarino shoes, polished Clarino belt, black socks, and rank-appropriate badge. This is used for formal events a handful of times a year.

Class B is a gray polo shirt with the department emblem embroidered on the front left chest, navy blue pants, black boots, and duty belt. This is the uniform we wear for duty nights, most fund raisers, most public events, etc. Depending on the venue or event, the company officer may elect to allow members to wear a T-shirt in lieu of the polo.

Class C is just a department T-shirt with either blue jeans (in good repair) or blue duty pants. We wear this on a couple of our fund raisers that we know we're going to get dirty at.

We also have bright yellow shirts that have the department logo on the front and "EVENT STAFF" on the rear that we use several times a year at some of our fund raisers (assist with rodeo organization four times a year, and our big fund raiser is a massive 4th of July celebration with bands, rides, kids stuff, etc).

We don't require uniforms for in-house training or meetings. However, when we go to outside departments for training, we expect members to be in Class B.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

We're a combination department and the uniform policy is the same for all members. All members are issued pants, department T-shirt, job shirt, a C-shirt (duty uniform), and a Class-A (formal uniform).

While 'on duty' members are required to be in the issued pants at T-shirt/job shirt. For volunteers this is primarily when staffing the station during Duty Crews, not home response or cover assignments.
    If the crew is going out in public or out of town then the members wear the class-C, which is a navy blue (FF) or baby blue (LT/CP) buttoned shirt.
    Class-A is reserved for formal events.

I, personally, wish we'd adopt the polo shirt as the class-C. It can look just as presentable and is much more comfortable in the summer. Members are allowed to wear blue cargo shorts while staffing the stations but have to change to a full class-C (pants/shirt) when leaving the station for anything except calls. If the polo shirt was the uniform then the shorts could be kept. I've seen other departments do this and it still looks good and far better when the temps are 90+.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Class A for formal events.

Class B (blue duty uniform) for trainings out of town, PR events, fire prevention.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

My Combo department (full-time gig) issues 1 polo shirt, 1 t-shirt, 1 baseball cap and 1 dress shirt per volunteer member. If they are officers or senior firefighters, they are also issued 2 long-sleeve shirts, collar brass and ties. If they are riding out for a shift, they are expected to be in the polo shirt, along with blue pants and black boots. Many of our volunteers have purchased blue work or EMS pants that we issue to career personnel as the offical work uniform, and black boots.

If they are attending an outside school or training, especially one that is purely classroom, they are expected to look professional, and while the blue pants and black boots are not required, they are strongly encoraged.

When wearing the blue button down shirt, members are required to wear a blue dress, work or EMS pant, and black shoes or boots.

As far as runs, our only policy is that they are not to make EMS runs in flip flops, shorts or inapproitte shirts, which includes shirts with offensive lanaguage or alcohol brands, as well as wife-beaters.

We have no specific dress requirements for in-house training.

My VFD isues t-shirts to firefighters, and t-shirts and one polo shirt to officers. We have no specific uniform standards.

My previous VFD issued a full Class A uniform short of the blouse to all members, including 2 pairs of dress pants, 2 long-sleeve and 2-short sleeeve dress shirts. dress shoes, ties, belts, collar brass and dress hat. we also issued 2 long-sleeved and 2 short sleeved button down work shirts and 2 pairs of work pants, which were expected to be worn to all in-house and outside training. 3-season jackets were also issued.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have LS and SS class A uniforms that are worn to special events.

We also issued Blue and Grey job shirts that are issued to the members.

As for day to day operations we are not required to wear a uniform, due to the fact that we are 100% vollie dept and the guys respond from work, home or where ever they are when the call come out. This day and time, we are just glad to have a good turn out for a call and do not worried about that the guys are wearing.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Border Patrol

We have both Class A (Dress) & Class B (Drill) uniforms. We are an all volunteer dept.

Attached is our SOG covering uniforms & appearance.

(Note: Highlighted sections are changes from the last revision of this SOG.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    MIf they are riding out for a shift, they are expected to be in the polo shirt, along with blue pants and black boots. Many of our volunteers have purchased blue work or EMS pants that we issue to career personnel as the offical work uniform, and black boots.
    Just curious. Why does your department issue the work uniform to career members yet make volunteer members pay out of pocket?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

My department does not have a formal dress code for anything at the moment. But we are currently ordering allot of new shirts, and the department itself is buying everyone a shirt. So I'm going to push at the next few meetings that during all "Out-of-station" Training events, meeting events, and classes, that these shirts are worn. My department has no formality, and Some of us are getting sick of it.
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

Unfortunately with limited funds we can't afford any type of duty uniform. I wish we could. Most of the time we are in blue shirts and blue pants that we have to buy on our own funds.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Just curious. Why does your department issue the work uniform to career members yet make volunteer members pay out of pocket?
    I really can't answer that except to say that since the career members are required to wear uniforms while on duty, it is an expectation that the department will provide the initial uniform package, and provide a uniform allowance each year there after. Most combo (and volunteer) departments in this area provide less than what we do to their volunteer personnel.

There is no written requirement that volunteers riding out will have the same uniform as the career staff, however, many of the volunteers that spend a lot of time around the station (especially juniors) have made the decision that they want to dress like the career staff and have purchased the EMS duty pants and duty boots themselves. The SOP simply states that members will be dressed in a manner that looks professional with a department (which we provide) or blank blue t-shirt. and recommends a blue pant other than jeans (unless they are in good shape and not faded) and "sturdy shoes or boots which protects the members in non-fire environments".

While we do require a blue pant with the button-down uniform shirt, a simple Dickey meets the requirement. We do not require that they purchase an standardized expensive uniform or duty pant.

Given that we have over 80 fireground volunteers plus 10 dispatchers, providing uniforms for all of them would be a fairly costly proposition.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information