Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    FIREMECH1 these frist two pictures are for you, they are of the pump, I thought that you might enjoy them.
    Nice... I could sleep in there, as well, get to everything. Gotta love the pipe clamps compared to every pipe being threaded. Giant PITA.

The joystick was a "tongue to cheek" comment.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

I like it! Although I agree with the other guys on the looks of the stick, as I run a Seagrave and our's is MUCH Heavier looking. I'm proud to see a company swap over to a truck. Compartments certainly look small as said!

Good luck with it! I hope you guys enjoy it!
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Putting full depth on one side doesn't replace the compartments on the other side.
    So two half-depth compartments don't equal a full depth compartment?
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Maybe it is because I am used to the nice, wide, aluminum E-One ladders, but just by loooking at the tip, that ladder looks like someone made it in their backyard. If you removed the waterway I would have never guessed it was a fire service ladder. Speaking of, is the waterway pinable? Also, what is the purpose of the large box that seems to be surrounding it?

On the price point, who else did you guys get quotes from? I am sure Sutphen was no where close, just wondering who (if anyone) was competitve.
    This is a steel RK ladder which I believe is model after a Smeal, so it is no where near as beefy as a Sutphen (the best made ladders ever) or even a KME. We were playing around with the truck tonight at the Fire House and I noticed that when I climb to the top even at a 75 degree angle the tip seemed to have more of a twisting motion than a side to side or up and down motion. But then remember I not small. (6'2" 240 lbs). I still had plenty of room at the end and did not feel squeezed.

Yes, As IronsMan53 stated you can pin the waterway, see the pictures below. As to the Large Box at the end, that is just the way RK makes their ladders.

As best as I remember the bids were as follows, HME $545,000 follow by E-ONE, Ferrara, Smeal, KME around $550,000 to $575,00. Pierce & Sutphen were around $625,000 and then Seagrave at $825,00. Per Town policy we had to go with the lowest bidder.

I'll say this I wanted the Sutphen, I was very impressed with their truck(love the engine that we already have) and their ladder (3 to 1 safety 750 lbs at the tip flowing 1500 gal a minute and 1000 lbs dry. Can you say tough!). People in hell want ice water. The guys from Smeal were a close second, in that they were on the top of their game and really knew their stuff. Hell one of the owners stop by to pitch their truck to us. I had spoken to one of their guys at a trade show in Jan. of 2011 and told them we were in the market for a ladder truck and what we wanted on the truck. When we open the bidding process 6 months later, the guys from Smeal already had a game plan from what I had told them and were ready to go. I was impressed because I'm just a lowly FF but they remembered everything that we had spoken about. Great group of guys.

While the HME was not my 1st choice, I'm impressed with the truck and pleasantly surprised! Will wonders never cease!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by BULL321; 01-10-2012 at 01:42 AM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are a few more pictures of truck that I took today/tonight at the fire house. As you can see the LEDs on the ladder are very nice in that they let you see where you are going without being to overpowering.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    I like it! Although I agree with the other guys on the looks of the stick, as I run a Seagrave and our's is MUCH Heavier looking. I'm proud to see a company swap over to a truck. Compartments certainly look small as said!

Good luck with it! I hope you guys enjoy it!
    Thank You!

Yea we lost some compartment space with the side hose bed, the large water tank and the tandem axle. But we will not be running this truck as a light/medium rescue, so that will save us some space for the other tools and equipment. We figured that being 1st out, we needed the larger water tank. The side hose bed makes loading the supply hose a lot easier and living/working in the mountains we decided to go with the tandem axles.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Nice... I could sleep in there, as well, get to everything. Gotta love the pipe clamps compared to every pipe being threaded. Giant PITA.

The joystick was a "tongue to cheek" comment.

FM1
    If you ever make down this way, I'll not make you sleep in the there. I'll put you up in the bunk room or at the house if my wife will let me.

As to the joystick comment, I figure that your were making reference to that "fight stick pro" controller that you've got on the turn table your new rig. But does your truck have a remote?
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    So two half-depth compartments don't equal a full depth compartment?
    Um, are you serious? NO, they don't. Try putting a PPV fan or a smoke ejector in a half depth compartment. Even 2 half depth compartments won't make that work.

I like the quint that Bull's FD has received, they got what they needed for them. But I can tell you straight up my career FD could not come close to fitting on it what we carry on our 75 foot Seagrave quint. On ours, the compartment behind the pump panel is full height and full depth on the driver's sides of the truck, and full depth lower and normal depth upper on the officer's side. On the driver's side the 2 compartments over the wheels are full depth, the rear compartment is also full depth. The driver's side rear of the rig has a full depth compartment. The officers side of the truck over the wheels has 2 normal depth compartments, and the compartment behind the wheels is full depth.

Again, I like the quint Bull's FD got. It would work out super for both of the POC FDs I am on. But the lack of compartment, space due to the side stacker, would not make it suitable for the amount of equipment my career FD carries.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Um, are you serious? NO, they don't. Try putting a PPV fan or a smoke ejector in a half depth compartment. Even 2 half depth compartments won't make that work.

I like the quint that Bull's FD has received, they got what they needed for them. But I can tell you straight up my career FD could not come close to fitting on it what we carry on our 75 foot Seagrave quint. On ours, the compartment behind the pump panel is full height and full depth on the driver's sides of the truck, and full depth lower and normal depth upper on the officer's side. On the driver's side the 2 compartments over the wheels are full depth, the rear compartment is also full depth. The driver's side rear of the rig has a full depth compartment. The officers side of the truck over the wheels has 2 normal depth compartments, and the compartment behind the wheels is full depth.

Again, I like the quint Bull's FD got. It would work out super for both of the POC FDs I am on. But the lack of compartment, space due to the side stacker, would not make it suitable for the amount of equipment my career FD carries.
    I don't think you understand what I am getting at.

We both can agree that with a traditional hosebed setup that a quint has a hose chute on the driver's side (more than likely for 2-1/2") and a hose chute on the officer's side (usually for 5").

This would cause the upper compartments on both sides of the rig to be half-depth compartments due to the hose chutes that are behind them. Agreed?

Now, imagine taking the hose chute from the driver's side and add it to the officer's side. What happens is you lose the half-depth upper compartment from the officer's side. But that half-depth is now added to the driver's side because there is no hose chute behind the compartment. Therefore you have full depth upper compartments on the driver's side. There is little-to-no change in total square footage of compartment space. You're just taking it from one side and moving it to the other.

In my last post I was simply asking if two halves equal a whole.

The biggest thing that cost Bull's dept compartment space is the tandem axle, but I do believe that it was a good choice for loading and braking purposes.

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.

Forum Member

I don't think you understand what I am getting at.

We both can agree that with a traditional hosebed setup that a quint has a hose chute on the driver's side (more than likely for 2-1/2") and a hose chute on the officer's side (usually for 5").

Um, no we can't agree on that. Our quint doesn't have chutes that take compartment space. The hose bed is under the turntable and ladder, in fact, if you took the ladder off the hosebed would look like a shallow engine hosebed.

This would cause the upper compartments on both sides of the rig to be half-depth compartments due to the hose chutes that are behind them. Agreed?

Nope, not on our rig.

Now, imagine taking the hose chute from the driver's side and add it to the officer's side. What happens is you lose the half-depth upper compartment from the officer's side. But that half-depth is now added to the driver's side because there is no hose chute behind the compartment. Therefore you have full depth upper compartments on the driver's side. There is little-to-no change in total square footage of compartment space. You're just taking it from one side and moving it to the other.

Because our quint is not built tlike this, and I believe most Seagrave Mean Sticks aren't built like you describe your scenario doesn't apply.

In my last post I was simply asking if two halves equal a whole.

NO THEY DON'T! Because unless you are going to cut large pieces of equipment in half to accomodate the 2 halves making a whole your comment is actually kind of silly.

The biggest thing that cost Bull's dept compartment space is the tandem axle, but I do believe that it was a good choice for loading and braking purposes.

I agee that cost compartment space where the second axle is, but I will continue to disagree with you saying the side stacker didn't cost compartment space when I have proven you wrong.

We will have to agree to disagree on this, because since you are wrong, and refuse to see, it it is pointless to go on.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

We will have to agree to disagree on this, because since you are wrong, and refuse to see, it it is pointless to go on.
    You know what... You're right, I'm wrong. Just like everybody else that disagrees with you. I see that our conversation has gone the way of countless other ones that others on this forum have had with you. Have a nice day.

Forum Member

Bull, I am sorry if my earlier conversation has taken away from your thread. Please accept my apologies.

From your new pictures I see that RK has changed the waterway design to a lever release from a pin like ours. That is an improvement. That pin is a PITA if it's not lined up just right.

You guys are new to ladder trucks but you might have already thought of this. Keep that waterway set for rescue. In a rescue situation you need it NOW. Defensive ops with aerial master streams afford you the time to switch it over.

Forum Member

You know what... You're right, I'm wrong. Just like everybody else that disagrees with you. I see that our conversation has gone the way of countless other ones that others on this forum have had with you. Have a nice day.
    Sorry that your vision of quints only allows for hosebeds with chutes. As I stated earlier the quint I ride on doesn't have a chute so your premise is wrong in my case. IF the style of quint you run on, or have seen, has either a chute or side stacker then you are correct.

You can stop holding your breath and stomping your feet now.

You have a nice day too!

BULL,

It is a beautiful rig and like I said would serve both of my POC FDs well. One of them runs a heavy rescue, and the other runs a rescue pumper so if this was our quint it wouldn't have to be loaded to the gills with rescue equipment. Just standard truck and engine equipment.

I too apologize for the side track this topic took and my involvement in it.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 01-10-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

No worries Brothers, having a little back and forth with each doesn't bother me in the least. If you think this is bad you should have seen us when we were specing this truck!
    Last edited by BULL321; 01-10-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Sorry that your vision of quints only allows for hosebeds with chutes. As I stated earlier the quint I ride on doesn't have a chute so your premise is wrong in my case. IF the style of quint you run on, or have seen, has either a chute or side stacker then you are correct.

You can stop holding your breath and stomping your feet now.

You have a nice day too!

As per usual your maturity astounds me.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    I agree. Damn Fyred, learn to relax a little bit and not get into so many arguments.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Thanks...Join in and pile on me. I have big shoulders I can take it.

Either way, 2 normal depth compartments will never equal a full depth compartment. It is really that simple.

Have a glorious day!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I agree. Damn Fyred, learn to relax a little bit and not get into so many arguments.
    I completely relaxed. Hell people, if you want to believe the same equipment that requires a full depth compartment will fit into 2 normal depth compartments more power to you.

Sorry that the facts are so unsettling to some of you.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Thanks...Join in and pile on me. I have big shoulders I can take it.

Either way, 2 normal depth compartments will never equal a full depth compartment. It is really that simple.

Have a glorious day!
    Seriously brother, let it go. I was actually advocating that with the sidestacker you were getting one full depth compartment instead of two half depth compartments. It seems that you just can't see that for the sake of arguing. Give it a rest please.

Let's talk fire trucks!

I completely relaxed. Hell people, if you want to believe the same equipment that requires a full depth compartment will fit into 2 normal depth compartments more power to you.

Sorry that the facts are so unsettling to some of you.
    I could care less about the compartments, my statement was more general in nature...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Seriously brother, let it go. I was actually advocating that with the sidestacker you were getting one full depth compartment instead of two half depth compartments. It seems that you just can't see that for the sake of arguing. Give it a rest please.
    I would be glad to let it go if you can realize that on my quint we have 4 FULL depth compartments on the driver's side(2 uppers, a lower and a full height), 3 upper half depth, and 2 lower full depth compartments on the officer's side, and a full depth compartment in the center rear.

The premise presented is that ALL quints have either side stacker hose beds, or chutes, and my quint has neither. The hose bed is under the aerial and if front of the turntable. The hose comes out just outside the turntable and has no effect on compartment size.

So I guess in reality we are BOTH right...shocking isn't it?
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I could care less about the compartments, my statement was more general in nature...
    Relax Dude, it is only the internet.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Relax Dude, it is only the internet.
    Wait, you didn't just say that. Pot, meet kettle.

Forum Member

Wait, you didn't just say that. Pot, meet kettle.
    I didn't get upset. I just wasn't going to agree with something that isn't 100% true. Sorry that wasn't palitable for you.

Before you call "Pot, meet kettle" on me, check yourself in the mirror.

Now, if you guys can get over me not agreeing with what I know isn't always right, we could get back to admiring Bull's shiny Yellow quint, the original topic of his post.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

Now, if you guys can get over me not agreeing with what I know isn't always right, we could get back to admiring Bull's shiny Yellow quint, the original topic of his post.

That Bulls shiny "ALF Chrome Fire Engine Yellow", Quint!
    Last edited by BULL321; 01-11-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information