MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sylva Fire Dept. New 78' Ladder Truck

Today we took delivery of our new HME 78' Ladder Truck! She has a 500hp Cummins motor, with a 6 man cab. 600 gal. of water/40 gal foam cell and a 1500 Hale pump. Of course she was painted ALF Chrome Yellow! She is the very first ladder truck our dept has ever had and we feel very lucky and proud to put her into service today.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are some more pictures
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

And some more!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Congratulations. Don't turn the wheels until your butt is out the door!
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Congratulations. Don't turn the wheels until your butt is out the door!
    Yes, Sir! BTW is that some hard learned advice?
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Yes, Sir! BTW is that some hard learned advice?
    Some of our houses used to have horse drawn apparatus running out of them, so the doors are narrow. When you have trucks with 8' plus past the rear axle, it is beaten in to you to wait until the rear duals drop into the gutter before you turn. That still hasn't stopped the shop from replacing lights, bumper boxes, and even rear body panels. Hasn't happened to me but I've been there to pick up the pieces! We are considering going back to tillers.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Rig

Nice looking rig.

Snowball's advice can apply to shorter trucks, too, especially if a department has a mix of custom and conventional cab apparatus, or a new custom/cabover rig. The drivers get so used to turning at a certain point with the conventional cab that they forget they're sitting ahead of the front axle and need to delay their turn just that much...
    Last edited by tree68; 01-07-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Formatting
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Great looking truck!

Forum Member

Nice looking truck. Congrats!

Back In Black

Congrats, good luck to you guys!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Some of our houses used to have horse drawn apparatus running out of them, so the doors are narrow. When you have trucks with 8' plus past the rear axle, it is beaten in to you to wait until the rear duals drop into the gutter before you turn. That still hasn't stopped the shop from replacing lights, bumper boxes, and even rear body panels. Hasn't happened to me but I've been there to pick up the pieces! We are considering going back to tillers.
    We used to have kinda the same problem here. There used to be horse shoe shape bumpers between each bay at around 2 1/2' out from the building. One of the guys cut it to sharp coming out one day and took out the side of the engine. Long story short, the bumpers all got cut down and moved all the way up against the building.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Hey Bull,

What is your first impession of this rig? I know you had some hesitations about getting an HME.

Just to satisfy my curiousity, what is the ladder compliment on board?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

yes i am curious of the ladders and the saws you will carry.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Nice rig Bull. Hope it works out well for you guys.

What.... no joystick....

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

HOw much did it cost?

Forum Member

I am NOT an HME fan, but that is a good looking truck. Only question I have is, knowing what we carry on our ladder, where are you going to put everything?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Who made the ladder?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Who made the ladder?
    It looks like an RK ladder.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Hey Bull,

What is your first impession of this rig? I know you had some hesitations about getting an HME.

Just to satisfy my curiousity, what is the ladder compliment on board?

I was impressed with the fit and finish, so far. Its very quiet in the dog house, much more so that our older trucks, even with 500 horses under the cab. She drives/rides very smooth, great turning radius plenty of power and she stops on a dime, so to speak.

Packing hose is going to be "fun" the preconnect above the pump panel could stand to be 3" higher. and the rear hose bed is very tight.

We going to have to add "SYLVA" to the front of the rig under the windshield. And we are trying to talk the Chief into calling the truck "Ladder 1 or 3" instead of Ladder 358, and put the lettering on the passenger doors also.

Ladder wise I believe that she got 1- 34' 3- 24' 2 - 16' & 1 - 14' roof ladders and one attic ladder. I'm working tonight at the Office, so I'll ride by and check.

Saw wise it will have 2 chain saws and at least 1 k-12. maybe 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Nice rig Bull. Hope it works out well for you guys.

What.... no joystick....

FM1
    That cost extra, and we're on a tight Budget!
    Hell I don't even know if that was an option.

Quote Originally Posted by auxman View Post
    HOw much did it cost?
    As seen without any of our equipment on bord at or around $545,000

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I am NOT an HME fan, but that is a good looking truck. Only question I have is, knowing what we carry on our ladder, where are you going to put everything?
    That is a very GOOD question.

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    It looks like an RK ladder.

FM1
    It is a RK ladder.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    I was impressed with the fit and finish, so far. Its very quiet in the dog house, much more so that our older trucks, even with 500 horses under the cab. She drives/rides very smooth, great turning radius plenty of power and she stops on a dime, so to speak.

We have had no complaints after 5 years with fit and finish. Ours however is VERY loud inside the cab and we were told that the issue was the type of fan on the motor. If we had gone with a different style of fan it would have been much quieter, and we would of had we known. Our HME is an engine with a 2000 gpm pump and 1000 gallons of water with a 370 Cummins and it has more than enough power. Just like yours the turning radius is amazing.

Packing hose is going to be "fun" the preconnect above the pump panel could stand to be 3" higher. and the rear hose bed is very tight.

One thing we did, and if my head would have been in the game better for you I would have suggested this to you too, we sent 2 inch hose with our salesman and said the bumper crosslays have to be able to carry 200 feet each with a nozzle, and the crosslays need to be able to carry 300 feet each with a nozzle. Because they had the hose they had no excuses if it didn't fit.

We going to have to add "SYLVA" to the front of the rig under the windshield. And we are trying to talk the Chief into calling the truck "Ladder 1 or 3" instead of Ladder 358, and put the lettering on the passenger doors also.

Geez Bull, how about a little NIMS compliance? It is a TRUCK! Man, you can buy them the vehicle but you just can't get them to name it right!

Ladder wise I believe that she got 1- 34' 3- 24' 2 - 16' & 1 - 14' roof ladders and one attic ladder. I'm working tonight at the Office, so I'll ride by and check.

My guess is a 35, either 2 28's, or a 28 and a 30, and a 24, the roof ladders it is hard to guess but usually on a truck they are 16's and 20's.

Saw wise it will have 2 chain saws and at least 1 k-12. maybe 2.

Good choices, the more the merrier if you have room for them.

That cost extra, and we're on a tight Budget!

Hell I don't even know if that was an option.

Geezus, a joystick? Why not just have it so you can run it off an iPhone for crying out loud!

As seen without any of our equipment on bord at or around $545,000

Dude! That is less than my career FD paid for their last rescue ENGINE!

That is a very GOOD question.

The side stacker is a sweet option for loading hose but it sure steals a lot of compartment space. Trade offs, there are always trade offs.

It is a RK ladder.

They have used RK ladders for years.
    It is a beautiful rig and I would love to have it in either of my POC FDs. Having looked at the pictures I would only make one change and that would be to go wth the bumper crosslays like we have on our HME.

Your committee did a really nice job and I think you should be proud.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 01-08-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

It is a beautiful rig and I would love to have it in either of my POC FDs. Having looked at the pictures I would only make one change and that would be to go wth the bumper crosslays like we have on our HME.

Your committee did a really nice job and I think you should be proud.
    We put a trash line crosslay on the which hold 150' of 1 3/4" but it like the other cross lay for the other two 1 3/4" (200') and 3" (150' w/blitz fire) is very tight with the nozzels.

I went by the fire house tonight while I had some down time in between calls and took a look at the ladders, she's carring 1- 35', 1 - 28', 2 - 24' ladders along with 2 -16', 1 -14' roof ladders and a 10' attic ladder.

NIMS compliant, what is that? No the County rescue squad runs "Trucks" and we don't want to be confused with them! (just kidding) Plus this the south everybody knows that she's a truck. No need to muddy the water.

Its funny you mention a joy stick or running the ladder with an iphone, I forgot that we order the truck with a remote control for same. Its bigger than a iphone, but it is still pretty damn cool!

Thank for the compliments, I know the truck committe was somewhat nervous going with HME but for the price we could not turn it down. Only time will tell on how good the truck will be but it's looking good so far.
    Last edited by BULL321; 01-09-2012 at 02:53 AM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

FIREMECH1 these frist two pictures are for you, they are of the pump, I thought that you might enjoy them.

The last two are of the new girl sitting next old faithful, our 93' Sutphen. (Boy, they good sitting next to each other, even in the rain/fog!) She's kinda taking hard that she not going to be first all of the time now, but I told her that it would be ok and that she was still very important to us and that we still love her.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Maybe it is because I am used to the nice, wide, aluminum E-One ladders, but just by loooking at the tip, that ladder looks like someone made it in their backyard. If you removed the waterway I would have never guessed it was a fire service ladder. Speaking of, is the waterway pinable? Also, what is the purpose of the large box that seems to be surrounding it?

On the price point, who else did you guys get quotes from? I am sure Sutphen was no where close, just wondering who (if anyone) was competitve.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

The side stacker is a sweet option for loading hose but it sure steals a lot of compartment space. Trade offs, there are always trade offs.
    Actually, you don't lose any compartment space due to the side hose bed since you have full depth compartments on the other side because of no chute.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Maybe it is because I am used to the nice, wide, aluminum E-One ladders, but just by loooking at the tip, that ladder looks like someone made it in their backyard. If you removed the waterway I would have never guessed it was a fire service ladder. Speaking of, is the waterway pinable? Also, what is the purpose of the large box that seems to be surrounding it?

On the price point, who else did you guys get quotes from? I am sure Sutphen was no where close, just wondering who (if anyone) was competitve.
    That is the same ladder on our quints. I have found that the RK ladders are a little more on the 'flexible' side. The tip is a bolt-on replacable piece in case of damage.

The waterway should be pinnable. The box around the waterway you noted is the pinnable mount that slides on the fly rails.

BTW, nice looking rig Bull.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    Actually, you don't lose any compartment space due to the side hose bed since you have full depth compartments on the other side because of no chute.

How do you figure that? The quint I ride on at work is a 75 foot Seagrave with the hose bed under the aerial. We have full depth compartments on one side and normal depth compartments on the other. So do tell how having the side stacker doesn't take compatment space. Because even as cool and convenient as it is it takes the entire side of compartments with hosebed.
    Putting full depth on one side doesn't replace the compartments on the other side.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information