Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice needed- would you buy my brownies if I came to your department?

My brownie business has begun! My first weekend was a success. I made three dozen and my brother took them to work. They have a sort of lunch buffet on weekends where people can buy a cooked meal for lunch so he wanted to sell my brownies. They sold very well! ( I made several batches previously and he took them to work and put them out on the buffet for free and they disappeared!).

My brother thinks I should take some over to the fire department near me and sell them to the firefighters. He seems to think they would be a good market. I would make a few batches first and drop them off for free with my business card in them if they wanted more. This station is one I pass everyday on my morning jog so it is fairly close by.

I would be more than happy to make some and give them to the firefighters for free. My question to you is, if I came to your department, would you buy my brownies? The ones I made this weekend were 2" square, about 2.75 ounces each for the regular brownies and about 3.5 ounces each for the brownies with walnuts. They sold for $2 each which is a reasonable price for a fresh baked brownie made with high quality ingredients.

I would greatly appreciate any constructive feedback you can give me as I am not sure if the crews would buy any.

Thanks

Yes, and our address is :

Sylva Fire Department
    24 Municipal Dr. Sylva, NC 28779

Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Don' need no steekeeng fire department to say "YES!! Of course, and how soon can you get here? However, I personally get my deserts home made for the price of purchasing the ingredients. But on behalf of my Brothers, yes.

Yes in a heart beat I would and would enjoy every bite too.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

YES. You had better figure out some sort of shipping. How about putting them in one of those kitchen food sealer deals and a cheap tin. There is a store in Chinatown the largest part of their inventory is stuff like that.

Oh. I want some mocha brownies too, and how do we pay?

Oh. I want some mocha brownies too, and how do we pay?

Actually, I have a new recipe for espresso brownies that would probably satisfy your need for mocha brownies.

As for shipping, apart from one special request that I will be fullfilling, I don't have the means to ship orders yet as shipping rates are high. However, I will figure out something.
    Last edited by cheffie; 01-18-2012 at 04:05 PM.

I've checked my in box twice already, nothing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    I know I am good but I can't bake them that fast Miller.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by cheffie View Post
    I know I am good but I can't bake them that fast Miller.
    Hey you guys... dont you let Cheffie under-rate herself. She IS VERY GOOD and she knows how to meet deadlines. hahaahahhhaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    I tried to send the espresso brownies to your inbox but there seems to be a glitch. They won't go through. I added cappucccino chips to give it even more of a mocha boast. They came out great! Next on the test batch menu, butterscotch-chocolate brownies. The bottom layer is fudge brownie and the top layer is butterscotch brownie that is more of a cake brownie. Any butterscotch fans out there?
    Last edited by cheffie; 01-19-2012 at 05:57 PM.

LOVE butterscotch!

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    LOVE butterscotch!
    Umm I do as well.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cheffie View Post
    My brother thinks I should take some over to the fire department near me and sell them to the firefighters. He seems to think they would be a good market. I would make a few batches first and drop them off for free with my business card in them if they wanted more. This station is one I pass everyday on my morning jog so it is fairly close by.
    Short answer - no. We are always happy to take freebies. But it is tradition here for a FF working overtime or detailed (working a firehouse/platoon other than his own) to bring a treat. Usually this takes form of cakes, cookies, ice cream, donuts, bagels, water ice, soft pretzels or Tastykakes. We average SO many of these overtime/detail FFs that it seems we subsequenly throw out more junk than we eat.

That being said, do you have any sugar-free/diabetic recipes?
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Short answer - no. We are always happy to take freebies. But it is tradition here for a FF working overtime or detailed (working a firehouse/platoon other than his own) to bring a treat. Usually this takes form of cakes, cookies, ice cream, donuts, bagels, water ice, soft pretzels or Tastykakes. We average SO many of these overtime/detail FFs that it seems we subsequenly throw out more junk than we eat.

That being said, do you have any sugar-free/diabetic recipes?
    Thank you for your feedback mrpita. I appreciate you taking the time to post.

Unfortunately, right now, I don't have any sugar-free/diabetic recipes. That may be something to look at further down the road but I have not been able to find any really good recipes for brownies without sugar to date. the ones I have tried in the past were rather bland.

What makes a brownie so good is all the butter, sugar, eggs, and chocolate.
    Last edited by cheffie; 01-19-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Honestly, not for long. If you baited us with a batch of free brownies, then came back once a week and banged on the door asking two bucks each, it would get old, quickly. Not saying you won't sell anything, but two dollars seems a bit extreme to me. Heck the Mexican lady sells burritos off the truck all day for $1.25.

You might have better luck talking to one of those coffee kiosk guys to see if you can keep some stock there. I paid two bucks for a bagel at the one in front of UCSF once, and it wasn't the greatest.

I'm assuming you're still in the city.

Good luck!
    IAFF

Thanks snowball. I have not been able to convince my brother that the FD near here would not be a good market for buying brownies as most departments get enough freebies they would not buy them. (my brother has been funding some of the costs to buy ingredients which is why I have to defer to him sometimes).

I think a better trade would be a batch of fresh baked brownies for a department patch.

I am going to try peanut butter chocolate chip brownies next.

Thread Information