Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine operator

Forum Member

Cool Engine operator

How long does it typically take for a new fire fighter to go from firefighter to driver?

Is everyone who works for the station qualified to be a driver?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

It simply depends on the department. In some departments, it's a promotion to be a driver, in others, it's a requirement. Everyone in my department is required to be a released engine driver within 1 year of completion of recruit school.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Like Box said, all depends on the department. City of Philadelphia- all probies hitting the street have had driver/pump training and it is up to their Company Officer to continue to train them to proficiency so that they can fall into the rotation- in Philly, all FF's rotate through all positions.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Default Engineer

As it has been mentioned before most departments require that you stay at firefighter for a number of years . Of the departments I worked for one had you stay at Firefighter for a minimum of four years,one had said at least one year as a Firefighter before you can move up. The current department says when there is an opening and had at least one year on as Firefighter you can take the test.

There are also times when the time limits may be waived due to heavy retirements and personnel needed for the position. I must say however during Drill School we had to know how to drive and pump so any rookie out of our Drill School could in an emergency drive and pump the engine.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    As it has been mentioned before most departments require that you stay at firefighter for a number of years . Of the departments I worked for one had you stay at Firefighter for a minimum of four years,one had said at least one year as a Firefighter before you can move up. The current department says when there is an opening and had at least one year on as Firefighter you can take the test.

There are also times when the time limits may be waived due to heavy retirements and personnel needed for the position. I must say however during Drill School we had to know how to drive and pump so any rookie out of our Drill School could in an emergency drive and pump the engine.
    So everyone knows how to operate the pup and engine but not everyone has the job title basically?

Default Engineer

That is correct.....To be an Engineer you are a Firefighter for four years take a test get promoted. In emergencies anyone can pump...let me say it again only in emergencies.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

All departments have their own sort of "path" or standard. In mine, the senior most guy drives and pumps...if he is out sick or vacation then the next guy...and so on.

I don't think anyone should drive unless they have at least a year on the job. And I think they should be well versed in the pump operations. Some crews do it differently within our department, which is a nightmare and should be standardized. I wish our department did an engineers test. Oh well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikecarroll84 View Post
    So everyone knows how to operate the pup and engine but not everyone has the job title basically?
    Pretty much..

Some departments clump the driver as "second" in charge of the house... If the officer is off, then the driver would "ride-up" and then a SR firefighter would step up and drive...

MembersZone Subscriber

In my department everyone is qualified to operate every piece of equipment. We all have assigned spots however we can take over time in pretty much any spot. For instance i am a paramedic assigned on the ambulance however I am expected to be able to operate the engines and the ladder with some degree of proficiency. I am also able to take overtime shifts on those apparatus. The only way to move into an operators spot full time is for someone to retire or be promoted and then there is a bid process to get to that spot.
    FF II, EMT-P, Hazmat Tech

Thread Information