Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Who pins the badge?

I'm finishing up the training academy and will be graduating at the end of the month. I have a question about the ceremony. Who, traditionally, should pin the badge on the new firefighter? I was thinking my wife would do it, which I'm sure she'd be honored. But then I was thinking it should be my brother, he's currently on the department who's training academy I'm graduating from, and a big reason I'm in this city at all, not to mention he'll be there in attendance and in his class A's. Then there is my step-father who is a retired Chief and another huge reason I'm in the fire service.

I guess what I'm asking, is if there is a tradition as to who pins the badge? If not, I'll probably ask my wife.

MembersZone Subscriber

We usually leave it up to the recruit to choose the most influential person to pin on his or her badge. It sounds like you have three significant people in your life. Just a thought for you would be to have your stepfather pin the badge. He is certainly the oldest of the people you mentioned and will most likely be the first to go. Ideally you will have a Captain's promotion down the road and you can select the next worthy recipient.
    Whatever you decide, it's a great challenge to have. Congratulations on your success!

Lastly whomever to do NOT select, I recommend you have a word with them prior to the date. You do not want to hurt anyone's feelings.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

I think I would go with the one I sleep with

Let your wife do it, but have the other two up there and introduce them

Having had several badges pinned on my coat, I had a girlfriend do it once. I had my Daughter pin once and then my wife pinned at another time. Others I was just handed the badge and pinned the thing on myself.

BE sure that whoever you get to do this, that they do not pin the badge upside down. I've seen this happen!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Default Badge

I have to go with have your Wife do it. She is the one who did everything while your were in Drill School and she is your rock......That would be my choice. Of all of the badges I had pinned on it was my better half who did the pinning.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I had a girlfriend do it once. I had my Daughter pin once and then my wife pinned at another time.!
    That must have been awkward having all three there at once.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    That must have been awkward having all three there at once.
    Yeah it was, but different times and different ranks too! Over a period of years also.

Default Badge

I'm sorry I had to respond to @ OTs' response. Wife #1 pinned my Fireman's Badge on after Drill School. We we're divorced a month later. Wife # 2 pinned my Engineers Badge on when I was promoted to Engineer and sadly she passed away before I retired. When I retired I had wife #1(who I remarried) 23 years later @ my retirement dinner. I now refer to wife #3 as my first and very last wife. So you never say never in the Firefighting world...
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    I'm sorry I had to respond to @ OTs' response. Wife #1 pinned my Fireman's Badge on after Drill School. We we're divorced a month later. Wife # 2 pinned my Engineers Badge on when I was promoted to Engineer and sadly she passed away before I retired. When I retired I had wife #1(who I remarried) 23 years later @ my retirement dinner. I now refer to wife #3 as my first and very last wife. So you never say never in the Firefighting world...
    I think a few beers at the bar would make for some interesting listening with you....
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Default Beers

Hell..I'll even buy.LOL
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I think a few beers at the bar would make for some interesting listening with you....
    A few?? Man I'll need several rounds of Makers to get all that injested.

Default Beers

OT...I'd even start a tab if you were there.....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I was honored to pin our son Rob's badge both wearing class A's. It was emotional. I felt he got his badge and a degree in one swoop.

His wife was going to pin his captains badge but was delayed by traffic. I was honored to again step up and do the honors.

You can check out the full story with photos here:

http://www.eatstress.com/robbadge.htm
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

I just graduated last year and I had my wife do it. As others have said, she stood by me during my years of applying and through recruit school.

Forum Member

I am torn about this, too.
    I'll be graduating in the near future and have no idea who I want to pin me. My parents, obviously, have been there since day 1 and supported me in every way possible. My g/f has been with me the last four and a half years and has supported me in every way she could. I can honestly say that I owe everyone for where I am at today which makes this a tough choice...

I am probably going to propose shortly after graduation though, so maybe let the g/f sit out of the pinning. We'll see.

Any advice?

Forum Member

For my recent promotion I had my daughter do the badge exchange. She is only 10 and very proud her dad is a firefighter. I wanted her to share in the joy and excitement of the day and not just sit there until things were over. My wife was also by my side, assisting if needed.

Thread Information