Forum Member

Default Paging Fire and EMS

My department is looking at putting together a policy and procedure on how to page volunteer fire and EMS. I am checking to see what other departments have for SOG's or SOP's. Some of the questions I'd like to know about are:

How long before you send out 2nd and subsequent pages when departments that are paged donít respond.

When to page another department when the department you paged does not respond after multiple pages.

Do you page (automatic mutual aid) a full time staffed fire department to respond or a volunteer department next to district when the department you have paged does not respond.

How long before a A.L.S ambulances (staffed) are paged out when (non-staffed) B.L.S ambulance does not respond to page in their district.

Any and all information and or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    FDLE416

Forum Member

Hello...I currently work for a 911 center that dispatches for 2 counties..37 agencies to be exact..all fire/ems/police...

for your first topic..our agency dispatches a "2nd page" after 3mins if we have not heard a unit go responding, the truck go awaiting crew, or the truck itself responding. If after that 2nd page we wait an additional 3mins and still hear nothing, we dispatch the closest fire dept for a fill in. We drop the original depts tones and then the fill in dept tones so that the dept being filled in for hears it a third time.

And for the EMS side..we pretty much do the same..after 3mins if the ambulance has not went responding we hit them again....usually dont have a problem with this tho

hope this may help you in your quest to put something together..if you have any other questions i might be of help to..let me know

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by FDLE416 View Post
    :
    How long before you send out 2nd and subsequent pages when departments that are paged donít respond.
    6 minutes.

When to page another department when the department you paged does not respond after multiple pages.
    If the primary department doesn't respond within 6 minutes, they're re-activated, and the second-due company is automatically added. This process would be repeated at the 12 minute mark if it ever came to that (the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd due companies would be dispatched.)

We dispatch three stations for working fires, and if one of them had failed to respond at the 6 minute mark, the 4th company would automatically be added.

Do you page (automatic mutual aid) a full time staffed fire department to respond or a volunteer department next to district when the department you have paged does not respond.
    If the neighboring career department happens to be next due to that area, yes, but that's the exception rather than the norm.

How long before a A.L.S ambulances (staffed) are paged out when (non-staffed) B.L.S ambulance does not respond to page in their district.
    Our ambulances are staffed 24/7, with a mixture of ALS and BLS providers. Your scenario doesn't really fit our dispatch model, so I can't really provide comment.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

we operate much like BoxAlarm. We have 5 minutes to respond, if no response, the next due is dispatched until somebody makes it to the scene. During the day, priority medical problems automatically get 2 stations dispatched. Departments that routinely have problems can also be put on double dispatch so that a second station is dispatched on all but minor medicals.

This operates the same way for a fire dispatch. For house fires, 4 departments are dispatched for engines. If one doesn't mark up within 5 minutes, they are replaced with the next due.

We don't have ALS ambulances. ALS in our county operates with chase vehicles. If a medic unit is not available, one can be dispatched from a neighboring county. Medics also have the option to meet up with a BLS ambulance and use the ALS gear on the ambulance.

We don't have any paid departments in the county, but there is no problem dispatching a paid department from a neighboring county if they are the closest department.

Forum Member

Thank you everyone for your responses and information. Does anyone have a specific Policy and Procedure that they use?

FDLE416

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDLE416 View Post
    My department is looking at putting together a policy and procedure on how to page volunteer fire and EMS. I am checking to see what other departments have for SOG's or SOP's. Some of the questions I'd like to know about are:

Any and all information and or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    FDLE416
    Our dispatch center for the county is set up in a large city police department. Their main priority in order is the City Police, Paid Fire Dept, Sheriff's office, and then the rest of the county which includes 4 other fire departments. My fire department shares a large building with our town's community ambulance which is an ALS transport. We have had so many issues with the dispatch center because of what I mentioned above. They show no interest in learning about the things you have mentioned in your post. We are currently on automatic aid for a small department to our west for structure fires since they have minimal staffing, and the ambulance service is the same way. It seems like it is hit and miss with dispatch. Sometimes both departments get paged out at the same time...and other times the page may come a few minutes afterwards, but by that time we are already responding. For 10-50's, fire and ambulance is supposed to get paged out at the same time but that never happens. They page out the ambulance a majority of the time, but fire knows to respond. A lot of the time when we have traffic for dispatch we won't get a response for awhile because we are not a priority to them. But like you asked above, we have to request anything that we want dispatch to do even though all of our departments SOP's are on their dispatching screen for instances like automatic aid or paging a second time if a crew doesn't respond(which only happens for EMS). Compound that on top of the radio issues we have been having and you are looking at a potential disaster.

Forum Member

This may be a little late with the comment but we wait 3 minutes between each page and usally how it works here is we switch over to P.D. Frequicy and say were awaiting a crew if we do not respond after 5 to 7 min theyll page the next closest dept. to the scence. Then our mutal aid is requested by the cheif when he gets on the scence. Here our ambulance dispacth is ran seprate from P.D and F.D. so they only page on our request.

Thread Information