Forum Member

Default Ideas for this type of training?

So This weekend we are able to get ahold of a few old Section 8 houses. Apparently the idea here is we are going to burn wet hay and pump the smoke into the buildings to create a real-life like conditions (minus heat obv.). Other then running drills as if its the real thing from start to finish with the good ole' Box light in a traffic cone fire, what other ideas do you have for this?
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

Do some RIT/MADAY training. Simulate fire fighters being trapped & the appropriate way to activate the RIT/MADAY/Emergency Traffic protocol. This will be great training for not only the fire fighters inside but command as well. We use "PLAN" when activating MADAY: Personnel, Location, Action, & Needs.
    Here are a few things that my fire dept has done are
    1. Simulate Getting Trapped in Wires, teach the techniques to self rescue & activation of RIT. Take any type of wire or String and run them across a hallway.
    2. Simulate a Calapse, Take a Piece of Ply wood and put it on top of fire fighter(s) have them try to self rescue & activate RIT
    3. Simulate being stuck in a Room and have them breach the wall to escape to another room & activate RIT.

If you would like more ideas, let me know.

Hope This Help
    Stay Safe

FM.BOB22

MembersZone Subscriber

We recently used a torpedo heater and smoke machine in a structure. The smoke machine creates the smoke, the torpedo heater creates some heat inside.

MembersZone Subscriber

Agree with the RIT/FF rescue stuff. In addition:

1) The art of moving hose is something where you can get alot of bang for your buck. Getting the nozzle to the appropriate location in a rapid manner in a building you do not know the layout can be difficult without practice, but a little bit of practice and some good tips can change that dramatically.

2) Require some critical thinking. For example, once the hoseline gets to the "fire room" tell them that they cannot see any more fire in the room, but the heat is increasing rapidly. What should they do? Give them 5 seconds to make that decision. Give them scenarios where they have to use not only their hands-on skills, but they have to use their situational awareness as well and make it time sensitive.

Good luck and enjoy. I am jealous!

Forum Member

Spencer although that is an awesome idea, espically the second one, I'm a truck company member, and we carry no hose lol.

I love the idea of the RIT, that I will certainly get done. I know only one person in our department has officially called a mayday, but even that was a long time ago. I'll definatly have the guys run that, myself aswell, I only expirenced a mayday once or twice. (Thank god)
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    Spencer although that is an awesome idea, espically the second one, I'm a truck company member, and we carry no hose lol.
    (Thank god)
    I had seen your username, but it blew right by me. Truck Company, then that is easy, Tear **** Up!

Forum Member

Haha! We do enough of that! Last house we had we cut vent holes, both hori and vert; took windows and frames, pulled ceilings, ripped apart walls, forced doors, the works! But I feel like we need more tactical training. Sadly I'm not very creative.

I know I wan't to do a drill where its a normal call, everyone sits in the truck, is dispatched by command, goes to work, Someone sits upstairs in a room with a TIC, pulls a partner away from his lead and see how everyone reacts, as if you lost your partner, can't get him over radio, no Pass activation.
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Thread Information