Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Austin TX new website

On AFD's new website it says under minimum qualifications Certification - In order to be certified as eligible for a beginning position with the Austin Fire Department, the applicant must meet all legal requirements necessary to become certified by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection Personnel Standards and Education, and must meet the minimum requirements of the Texas Department of Health to become certified as an Emergency Medical Technician. If you have questions about your ability to become certified, please contact the Texas Commission on Fire Protection or Texas Department of Health.

I am a little confused by this are they saying that you need to be certified or not?

Forum Member

Sounds like you basicly have to be certified or for firefighter gone through the course and just waiting for someone to pick you up

Did they ever hire from the last mess???

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like they mean u cant have a criminal past that would keep u from being certified by the state. ie, sex offender, felony, stuff like that. Sounds like a weed out. Austin would b awesome!

Forum Member

does austin have FF/EMT only or are there personnel paramedics too?

Forum Member

anyone on here work for AFD or went through their process before?

Forum Member

I think it means you must be able to pass the course and be legally eligible to receive the certifications by Texas law, like what markus1990 said.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to be pre-certed.

Forum Member

read through this post and you may find your answer

unless they change the process this time

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...ghlight=austin

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by markus1990 View Post
    Sounds like they mean u cant have a criminal past that would keep u from being certified by the state. ie, sex offender, felony, stuff like that. Sounds like a weed out. Austin would b awesome!
    I emailed AFD with this question and this pretty much what they told me. which is a relief since AFD is on top of my list of places to apply.

Forum Member

heard it was a great department to work for. It's the only department I'll relocate from dallas for in texas

MembersZone Subscriber

AFD hired 40 "laterals" in October and they graduated last month and are on probation. They get paid the same as a 3 year FF. They had to be certified as a FF, worked 3+ years at a career department and have their EMT. A second class of "traditional" cadets just started last week and they will go through EMT and Fire school. I'm not sure if there are future plans to hire laterals or not. AFD should continue to hire 40+ a year I would guess due to retirements.

AFD runs first response at the EMT-B level. There are several paramedics on the department, but they don't function as medics unless they are system cleared through the medical director (not many are). Medic response is provided by Austin-Travis County EMS which runs with 2 medics on the ambulance.

Thread Information