Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HuntPA

Thread: Hose bed cover question

Forum Member

Default Hose bed cover question

I'm going to Pierce next week for a pre-build conference and I wanted to ask you all a question about hose bed covers. Just off the bat, no, we can't afford the diamond plate covers. My question is do any of you have the webbing or mesh rear flaps on yours? All the vinyl ones I've seen tend to wear quickly from the constant flapping, even with bungees to hold them. We asked the dealer if we could get either mesh or webbing on the rear so the air would flow through and not cause it to wear faster. We were told the couldn't do it, but I can't see any reason it can't be done, especially since that's what they use for the cross lays'. Any of you have this setup on your trucks? If you can post a pic that would be great. Thanks.

Forum Member

All our Engines are Pierce and they all have nets on all the hosebeds. I will take a picture of one tommorow. If Pierce will not do it, their are quite a few aftermarket companies that will for a reasonable price.

Forum Member

These guys offer many versions: http://<br /> http://www.dscustomco...bed_covers.php

Tell Pierce to order them for your rig and throw them into the price. They can do it with all the other add ons, why not hose bed covers?

Forum Member

We make the crosslay and hose bed nets out of 100% Polyester seat belt webbing with easy to open stainless lift lever buckles. Each net is custom made for your rig. Check us out and let us know if you have any questions. http://www.firegearpros.com/hose-bed-nets/

Forum Member

Question Anyone using a net on their supply hose bed?

Anyone using a net on the back?

How well does it work?

The one example used straps on the top, any issue with catching the straps when a couplings pass under?

Our tarp gives enough for couplings to pass but we are in need of a new tarp.

Forum Member

We got a hose bed end net cover from this company. We're well pleased with it. It attaches with seat belt buckles. We drilled a hole in each buckle and put pull lanyards on them so that they can be unbuckled and the cover released by a firefighter standing on the ground.

D&S Custom Covers, Inc.
    3055 Kingwood Rd.
    Rockwood, PA 15557

Phone: 814.926.4075
    Fax: 814.926.3320
    Email: davew@dscustomcovers.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    We got a hose bed end net cover from this company. We're well pleased with it. It attaches with seat belt buckles. We drilled a hole in each buckle and put pull lanyards on them so that they can be unbuckled and the cover released by a firefighter standing on the ground.

D&S Custom Covers, Inc.
    3055 Kingwood Rd.
    Rockwood, PA 15557

Phone: 814.926.4075
    Fax: 814.926.3320
    Email: davew@dscustomcovers.com
    ditto -(except for the lanyard part)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post
    Anyone using a net on the back?

How well does it work?

The one example used straps on the top, any issue with catching the straps when a couplings pass under?

Our tarp gives enough for couplings to pass but we are in need of a new tarp.
    We use a modified pick-up bed net across the back of one of our engines. It's removed right to left, so the coupling won't catch in the web. It's functional, not the best, not pretty, but everything stays inside, now. It was installed after losing a load of LDH returning from a run.

Forum Member

Heard a call from dispatch center the other day to a fire dept out in lakes region asking if they meant to lay in 1500 feet of LDH on the main highway???
    The crew answered NO ::: where is it???
    Sheepishly they had to leave the response and return to load their LDH from along Rte 302 while everyone watched as traffic was stopped with a hose load in the middle of the road. OOOPS

We have a solid vinyl cover with weighted back seam and have a bungee strap on the ends of all hose loads to keep them in place with all the frost heaves we have to drive over.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 03-01-2015 at 04:46 PM.

Forum Member

Vinyl hosebed cover with web netting on the ends, also for the ends of the crosslays.

It all sits up in the attic....cam with the truck and was removed the day the truck arrived.

# of times we have accidentally laid hose....0
    # of times the companies around us (with covers) accidentally laid hose....2

If you use them, spend some time and research the one that will work best for you.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We went to the Amish. They make a good vinyl cover. They will also get it so that it will attach any way you want (snaps, Velcro, bungee, etc.). Gave it to us for the cost of the materials.

Everyone should have a local Amish population.
    islandfire03 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    We went to the Amish. They make a good vinyl cover. They will also get it so that it will attach any way you want (snaps, Velcro, bungee, etc.). Gave it to us for the cost of the materials.

Everyone should have a local Amish population.
    Forgive me for being a little off topic here (my department doesn't use hosebed covers and ever since I got hired I've been assigned to truck companies...so I have ZERO to input on the original topic). But seriously, I completely agree with Hunt's comment. Our local Amish community makes virtually everything for our station (chairs, tables, workbenches, gear lockers, ****ing everything) and it's incredible the work they do. Whatever product they end up making is of a much better quality than you could EVER buy and for literally 10-20% of the cost.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    Forgive me for being a little off topic here (my department doesn't use hosebed covers and ever since I got hired I've been assigned to truck companies...so I have ZERO to input on the original topic). But seriously, I completely agree with Hunt's comment. Our local Amish community makes virtually everything for our station (chairs, tables, workbenches, gear lockers, ****ing everything) and it's incredible the work they do. Whatever product they end up making is of a much better quality than you could EVER buy and for literally 10-20% of the cost.
    Uh, WHY don't they use hose bed covers?? Keeping the hose secured is now an NFPA standard, and bad things can happen if it isn't. I've seen a truck lay a 1000' feet of 5" on a busy interstate because it didn't have a cover. It's a good thing there wasn't a major pile up.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

My #2 POC FD just received a new engine delivered with crosslay pre-connects with no end cover on the hose beds.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    My #2 POC FD just received a new engine delivered with crosslay pre-connects with no end cover on the hose beds.
    Did they sign a waiver?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I haven't a clue, but my guess is no. The chief asked Chenzo where POC FD #1 got there hose bed cover and he told them they came with the engine.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Uh, WHY don't they use hose bed covers?? Keeping the hose secured is now an NFPA standard, and bad things can happen if it isn't. I've seen a truck lay a 1000' feet of 5" on a busy interstate because it didn't have a cover. It's a good thing there wasn't a major pile up.
    I have no idea. I'm one line Firemedic in a department of over 350. That decision is about 25 steps above my pay grade.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    I have no idea. I'm one line Firemedic in a department of over 350. That decision is about 25 steps above my pay grade.
    I'd refuse to drive an engine without a hosebed cover. I'm not going to be the cause of a serious accident if I can help it, and there's plenty of previous incident's to back that up.

Thread Information