Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which Chassis -International w/DPF or Freightliner w/DEF

Forum Member

Thumbs up EVS 3000 Automatic Trans

You will be happy with your new apparatus with the Auto tranny, we had two Mack CF fire apparatus with standard trans, with about 8-10 feet of linkage between the gear shifter and the trans. which made it diffacult to find the right gear at times you would hear a lot of grinding from some drivers. And also what builder got the contract to build your new pumper ?
    Last edited by Woodbridge; 04-07-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    And also want builder got the contract to build your new pumper ?
    Well it came down to two, Forstner and E-ONE. They speced out virtually the same truck and the bids were $150 apart. We took a vote and E-ONE was the winner. I voted for the Forstner, but I'm happy with the E-ONE.

It will be a Tradition series with a top-mount pump panel. Nothing fancy at all, swing-style doors, no foam, no overhead ladders, no bells and whistles at all; but that's exactly what we wanted and it will serve us very well. E-ONE's spec said delivery in 200 days but their rep thought that they'd be able to do better than that. I'll try and put some pictures up when we do get it.

Forum Member

Nice! It's always exciting to buy a new rig- even more so when you haven't had one in a loooonnnng time. Congrats!!

To add to what Rescue101 said, the vast majority of big rigs out there (in North America)are conventionals- and they can put engines in them to pull however much weight you need moved. 600+ hp is not a problem. You'll not be able to get by with the cheaper, lower end chassis- those simply aren't made for that- but you can get a conventional (commercial) chassis with all the balls you need. As a bonus, Freightshaker and corn binder dealers/shops are EVERYWHERE.

Also, for those with SCR engines- see if you have a truckstop nearby. Many, like Pilot, Loves, and Flying J now sell DEF fluid right from the pump. Beats the hell out of pouring jugs into the tank! These companies are used to negotiating discounted prices with trucking companies- you may be able to work out a nice contract price for your diesel and def fluid.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF715MRFD View Post
    Well it came down to two, Forstner and E-ONE. They speced out virtually the same truck and the bids were $150 apart. We took a vote and E-ONE was the winner. I voted for the Forstner, but I'm happy with the E-ONE.

It will be a Tradition series with a top-mount pump panel. Nothing fancy at all, swing-style doors, no foam, no overhead ladders, no bells and whistles at all; but that's exactly what we wanted and it will serve us very well. E-ONE's spec said delivery in 200 days but their rep thought that they'd be able to do better than that. I'll try and put some pictures up when we do get it.
    gotta ask -for $150 you went with a large builder as opposed to a small "local" builder? I just wonder if any of the guys that voted for eone complain about walmart?
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    gotta ask -for $150 you went with a large builder as opposed to a small "local" builder? I just wonder if any of the guys that voted for eone complain about walmart?
    Well like I said, I wanted the Forstner and the Chief also wanted it. The last engine we got (21 years ago) was what our BOD wanted and they gave very little say to the FD, needless to say that caused some bad blood so this time around they left it up to the Chief as long as he stayed in budget and the Chief let the FF's decide what they wanted and that is about all I can say there.

The E-ONE did have a better warranty and a shorter delivery time, and there was some discussion as to whether or not Forstner would still be around in 25 years to support its product and I think that affected the way some guys voted.

Forum Member

I wasnt being critical, I am just a big fan of the small builders.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF715MRFD View Post
    Well like I said, I wanted the Forstner and the Chief also wanted it. The last engine we got (21 years ago) was what our BOD wanted and they gave very little say to the FD, needless to say that caused some bad blood so this time around they left it up to the Chief as long as he stayed in budget and the Chief let the FF's decide what they wanted and that is about all I can say there.

The E-ONE did have a better warranty and a shorter delivery time, and there was some discussion as to whether or not Forstner would still be around in 25 years to support its product and I think that affected the way some guys voted.
    As far as being around 25 years from now, why would one think E-one would be here and forstner wouldnt? Anyone with even minimal knowledge of the industry would realize size doesnt matter in that regard.

Forum Member

You made a good choice with the International chassis but I'd say if you were to choose the Freightliner chassis I think you'd be just as happy. Both make a great product!

Who did you choose to build the body?

Best of luck with your new apparatus! :-)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZMastr28 View Post
    You made a good choice with the International chassis but I'd say if you were to choose the Freightliner chassis I think you'd be just as happy. Both make a great product!

Who did you choose to build the body?

Best of luck with your new apparatus! :-)
    Thank you! The apparatus is an E-One. There is a link a few posts up to the thread I started with the details and pictures of it.

Forum Member

I agree with ZMastr, they're both good chassis. I've driven several apparatus several thousand miles on both, and enjoyed the ride on each. One thing to take note of if this hasn't been built yet: Navistar was not able to get the Enhanced EGR system perfected, so they made the decision to go to SCR like everyone else. Beginning in about April or so of 2013 they will start producing SCR engines. I understand that they will begin with the MaxxForce 13 and bring the other engines on after that. They have a deal with Cummins to provide their technology and components. So I would have to guess that it depends on when your engine gets built as to what system you will have. Good luck with it, whatever it is!

Forum Member

I agree both good builders, also with Hebe gone Navistar can only get better. They are calling it a retirement

Thread Information