Forum Member

Default Massachusetts hiring question

I am told most MA departments give residency preference. Does anyone know what departments do not give preference? Civil service depts or non.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrm1202 View Post
    I am told most MA departments give residency preference. Does anyone know what departments do not give preference? Civil service depts or non.
    From what i have heard, most Civil Service departments give residency credit. But are you asking which departments give credit for being a resident or make it a REQUIREMENT to be a resident?. My department gives Residency credit, but if someone interviews better who lives outside the town, they get hired instead of a resident. The residency credit comes down to when you have two equal candidates and need a tie breaker.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    From what i have heard, most Civil Service departments give residency credit. But are you asking which departments give credit for being a resident or make it a REQUIREMENT to be a resident?. My department gives Residency credit, but if someone interviews better who lives outside the town, they get hired instead of a resident. The residency credit comes down to when you have two equal candidates and need a tie breaker.
    I didn't realize that there were still departments requiring specific residency. So in response, I am looking for both. I am told in places like Boston and Cambridge, residents get immediate preference despite scores.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrm1202 View Post
    I didn't realize that there were still departments requiring specific residency. So in response, I am looking for both. I am told in places like Boston and Cambridge, residents get immediate preference despite scores.
    That "immediate prefferece" can be superceeded by a special need. Case in point, Boston hired 20 (i think it was 20) Spanish speaking non veterans over veterans because it needed them at the time. And many departments will hire Paramedics only at times. So in that instance....

Lets say you are #1 on a list in a resident preference town but you are only an EMT.

Now that department needs to hire 2 people but they want both to be Medics. You will get jumped on the list because even though you are a resident, you do not meet the criteria for what they want. Same thing happens often with Veterans.

Forum Member

Most civil service towns do give you the credit. Some small town will over look it if your a EMT or Vet( Hanover,MA was one).

Thread Information