Thread: Any chance?

Forum Member

Default Any chance?

That my department would be able to get a truck grant to replace a 1977 brush fire unit? I dont know much about grants (actually nothing at all), but i do know our grass unit has hole s in the floorboards and breaks down constantly.

My department runs about 250 calls a year, but only 20 or so are actual brush fires.

Forum Member

Seems pretty likely just with that information, but your overall fleet and age may come into play. Give us a better picture of your department's fleet and many of us here will try to guide you in the right direction.

Forum Member

Our newest truck will be a 2012 Eone 3000 gallon pumper tanker that is replacing two 1970's era homemade tankers. The truck is expected in Feb.

We have a 2007 squad which the fire department recently purchased and paid off.

Our Engines are a 2004 Eone and a 1991 KME. Our Heavy Rescue is a mid 90's model International.

And the aforementioned brush truck is a 1977.

Forum Member

from experience, your fleet is too new and funding a brush unit is unlikely due to that fact....but apply anyway, you never know.....I'm assuming if your department can afford a 2012 and 2007 apparatus it can afford to replace a brush truck.....

I don't agree with all of the Quick Attack / Brush Trucks that have been funded over the years (hundreds of them), my opinion is that the majority of departments can afford to replace these types of apparatus due to their relatively low price....Engines, Tankers and Aerials should be the only apparatus funded, again, just my opinion......

MembersZone Subscriber

You should also check with the state forest service. They have a couple programs where they lease forest service trucks to volunteer departments. I know some departments that have been using forest service equipment for years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lump532 View Post
    You should also check with the state forest service. They have a couple programs where they lease forest service trucks to volunteer departments. I know some departments that have been using forest service equipment for years.
    Its called the Federal Excess Property Program (FEPP). Its a great program and your state program is probably administered by the DNR. There is also cost share funding to apply for. This can pay a portion of renovating a FEPP vehicle (repaint to fire service colors, tires, etc.). Purchasing a pump/tank skid is also a potential cost share expense. Its worth checking into.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another thing to check on is with your local banks. If your organization is well established in your community and you have a history with a certain bank or a new bank is looking to get established, they may finance you from 0 to 2%. Interest rates are so low now that they are not making much and it may be more beneficial for them to get the good press. In 2003, we bought a '99 quint that way with 0% interest over 5 years.

Figure out what you can pay per month, document your need, make an appointment to see the president (a loan officer or branch manager cant make this deal) or a high-ranking vice-president, go to the bank with your case ready, dressed in Class A uniform or suit and tie. The worst they can say is no, but even then, they are good people to get to know.

Forum Member

Thanks guys.

Were going to be making payments on the Tanker for awhile, the squad took 3 years to pay off but it only cost $70,000. The Tanker was $220,000.

Forum Member

The Department of Defense program has changed from the FEPP (Federal Excess Property Program) to the FPP (Firefighter Property Program) and should be administered through your state foresty service. We still have two 2.5 ton trucks we received under the old FEPP program. We will have to return them if we no longer wish to use them. Under the newer FPP program, we get title after a year and the truck is ours to keep, sell, or salvage. We can get 1 truck a year free, and the Texas Forest Service will deliver it to us. Our cost in the unit is limited to paint and outfitting, which is not a lot.

We have also purchased trucks from the Texas Facilities Commission, which is the state agency that handles state and federal surplus property in the state of Texas. We can go buy an ex-military truck in good shape there for around $6,000. We just bought one for $6,100 with the big singles, automatic transmission, automatic tire inflation, new tires, and less than 3,000 miles. We are working on converting it now. It should be a very nice unit when we are done.

Those old military trucks aren't pretty and they aren't fast, but they can carry a lot of water and put out a heck of a lot of fire when they get there. They are cheap, reliable, and relatively easy to work on. They are about the best brush trucks out there, and by far the most cost-effective.

MembersZone Subscriber

The FEPP program has not been replaced. The FPP is simply another program.

We were in a discussion yesterday - some equipment will still ONLY be available on the FEPP program, such as Humvees.

Forum Member

We no longer have the option of FEPP here. From the Texas Forest Service:

"The acquisition of excess military vehicles and equipment has transitioned to the DOD Firefighter Property Program. "

Texas Forest Service FEPP

We are no longer being granted requests for FEPP equipment, and some of our FEPP equipment has been collected and taken to auction.

Thread Information