MembersZone Subscriber

What problems so I can be planning?

MembersZone Subscriber

You got that straight there sonny (as I shake my walker at you)

Forum Member

Deleted Post

Forum Member

My department purchased a Pumper/Tender back in 2003 and we decided that we needed the capability to dump from either side and the rear. We do everything we can to avoid backing up to the dump tank but there are those times when you can't utilize side dumps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    So does a bucket.
    I'm guessing what you MEANT to say was that a bucket comes in handy to prime the portable pumps.
    And I'm guessing that with said bucket you would fill it from the tank water in case you needed it.
    But wouldn't that essentially be the same as carrying a can of water on the truck in the first place?
    And like LVFD, I have never been able to prime a portable pump with just a bucket...but I have been trying real hard lately.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Head View Post
    I'm guessing what you MEANT to say was that a bucket comes in handy to prime the portable pumps.
    And I'm guessing that with said bucket you would fill it from the tank water in case you needed it.
    But wouldn't that essentially be the same as carrying a can of water on the truck in the first place?
    And like LVFD, I have never been able to prime a portable pump with just a bucket...but I have been trying real hard lately.
    Yes, you figured it all out!

I think it would be infinitely easier to just scoop a little water out of that water source then use a PWC...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Yes, you figured it all out!

I think it would be infinitely easier to just scoop a little water out of that water source then use a PWC...
    I'm not sure if my Sea Doo would be able to operate properly on a scoop of water.
    But I'm willing to try anything twice.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Head View Post
    I'm not sure if my Sea Doo would be able to operate properly on a scoop of water.
    But I'm willing to try anything twice.
    I'll decode this for you. Pressurized Water Can.

Anything else in this thread got you confused, just ask. Glad to help.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I'll decode this for you. Pressurized Water Can.

Anything else in this thread got you confused, just ask. Glad to help.
    What is thread?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by getasupply View Post
    Well this has been a great thread with some great ideas; speaking of looking at the NFPA section.
    I have no influence there waht so ever but if I did:

A. right and left remote dumps for drive bys
    or
    B. Swivel only

Reason no more bagpipes for people backed over. This discussion brought me to this thought, many years ago north of here a father vollie backed over his own son at drill. One night I was finishing up a class for another agency and they got a call, a member was knocked down (NLTI) by an open comparment door. A few years ago drive through stations were the in thing for a reason.

Help me down off the soap box
    We have a camera spec'd on the rear of the tanker we just ordered. That should help with backing, but we also prefer to side dump as it's quicker anyway. But sometimes with narrow roads, we have to have the rear dump option. And most dept's around here are going with roll up doors instead of the old style hinged doors. One of the trucks at my full time dept. nearly brought down the roof over two bays when an open door took out the center support as they left the station. Good job bringing up the backing safety aspect though.

Forum Member

You're using the WRONG bucket. Or pump.

Forum Member

So now we are supposed to use septic systems for water supply? Would that classify as high protein foam? I smell ISO points!!!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by reaganfleming1 View Post
    A septic tank is a large tank meant to store sewage waste while it settles. The tank design is used by nearly a fourth of the population in the United States, and is also widely used throughout the world.
    The septic tank is one part of a standard rural septic system, the other part being the leach field. Sewage enters the tank from the house where it is left to separate. Heavy solids settle to the bottom, while the relatively clear water rises to the top where it is allowed to leach off into the earth. Once in the leach field, any remaining solids are taken care of, and the water rejoins the greater water table.
    Again, a totally idiotic post. Why are you here and why do you post totally irrelevant nonsense?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by reaganfleming1 View Post
    Rosenbauer's Maverick apparatus body offers the benefits of a short wheelbase rural tanker up to 2000 gallon tank, with the pumping capacity of a metro unit up to 1250 gpm. Over 104 cu ft. of usable equipment storage space allows your department to carry all the EMS gear used on 80% of calls and the flexibility of full pump and roll features of wildland units.
    Pump Ratings: NH 500 GPM at 150 psi, NH 750 GPM at 150 psi, NH 1000 GPM at 150 psi, NH 1250 GPM at 150 psi
    So do tell, where are you really from? Because I doubt very strongly that you are from the US.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Again, a totally idiotic post. Why are you here and why do you post totally irrelevant nonsense?
    It's a spam bot, essentially. It takes often used words in the thread, and finds similar information on Wikipedia-type websites. Then turns that into a post to simply get whatever they're trying to sell promoted (in this case, what appears as his signature).

Forum Member

I reported the spam bot to the webteam but obviously they care nothing about policing their own forums.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

You mean you guys don't agree with using a Rosenbauer Maverick to draft from a septic tank? I guess that changes our drill plans for next week. And here we had people excited about training again.

Forum Member

That septic tank water is great for "pretreating" exposures. Clings real well. Try it on your neighbors house>
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    So now we are supposed to use septic systems for water supply? Would that classify as high protein foam? I smell ISO points!!!
    If you are running a sanitary sewer sucker truck for a tanker you can.
    Right TIM?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Swivel vs. Triple Dump

Let me start off by letting you know I work for AH Stock Mfg, Manufacturer of the Newton Kwik Dump Valve.
    It all comes down to Flow rates. A square dump with out a swivel will dump the fastest.
    A square valve with our Newest version of the swivel is a bit slower but still better than a 10" round valve.
    I can post our test results from work tomorrow if you would like.
    Work hard Play harder!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Bendone,

Personally, I would love to see the results. Always good information to have when spec'ing rigs.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with BoxAlarm187 on on this, any "official" information is a benefit for future reference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here you go. I hope this helps you with your decision.
    These flow rates were achieved using a 4100 gallon tender with a 8x8 inch square vent.
    Your rates will vary based on tank size, vent size, and baffle configuration.

Name:  _20130610_05081101.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  43.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Bendone,

Personally, I would love to see the results. Always good information to have when spec'ing rigs.
    Work hard Play harder!

Thread Information