Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Tanker Dump Options

Ok guys, we're in the process of specing a 3000 gallon tanker. We currently have a 2000 gallon tanker with 3 newton dumps.

We are in the process of a debate between the 3 newton dumps vs a rear swivel dump.

Looking for personal experiences and opinions.

Thanks

We have three different dumps.

I don't think there are really many pros/cons. It is probably more of a budget issue.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

We too just spec'd a tanker, but ours is an engine/tanker. Ours will function as both, depending on crew and what kind of fire it is. We spec'd 3 Newton dumps because they will not get in the way if we have to lay LDH. The thing you need to ask yourselves is how are you going to use the truck? If it's stricktly a water hauler, what's the easiest method for unloading? How much manpower do you need vs how much will you have? Is price a consideration? And can the swivel be operated from the cab by the driver? You probably are the best one to answer your own question.

The swivel dump is a means to save money, but I would prefer three separate dumps if it were up to me... The swivel makes the chute lower than it would be otherwise when using conventional dumps, which could cause issues with clearance over dump tank sides. The swivel is also at the rear of the rig, where it will pick up road grit and so forth. Having sold rigs with both, unless you need to do the swivel to cut costs, I'd do three dumps.

Never timed one, but I would think the extra bend with the swivel and the 90's would slow down dump times as well.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I would further ask will the dump be manually operated by those outside the cab, or power operated by the driver from inside the cab?

Our tanker pumper/tender engine has 3 dumps, one on each side behind the cab, and one at the rear. They are all manually operated but if we were designing this rig today I would have the side dumps be power opeated fom the cab. We tend to do the majority of our drop tank ops as drive along the side of the drop tank dumping. A power operated dump that the driver could operate without ever leaving the cab, or having to place a firefighter in between the tender and the drop tank, would be safer and far more efficient.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

If money is not an object, then remote power operated dumps is what I would also want. We have them on both sides and rear.

Operator doesn't get out of the cab, during most evolutions. As Fyred points out, if you are side dumping, then you aren't backing and it is much much safer.

http://www.njfirepictures.com/NEW-JE...3819&k=XfDMKNs

The only thing I would add to this apparatus is a rear camera.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

I would echo the in cab controls for individual dumps. You can reduce the necessary manpower by one. By having the driver able to dump reduces the cycle time because he pulls up, extends the chute, and dumps. Otherwise, the ground man (unnecessary with the 3 dumps) has to extend / position the dump and operate the valve. This generally means that they will be between a 50,000 pound truck and portable pond. For the extra money, you are saving time and greatly reducing risk, especially if you tend to have slippery roads and night time operations. But even if you get a swivel, it is always better/safer/faster to drive beside than back up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Swivel dumps are certainly a money saver. All dumps are higher than a portable tank which is usually no higher than 30". The length and width may change based on capacity but the height stays the same. Swivel dumps can have electric valves as the valve is on the main valve and not on the swivel. Moving the swivel to the needed side is easy, but maybe not as convienent as an electric side dump. If money wasn't an issue, two electric remote valves (L/R) would be my frst choice, with an additional electric valve at the rear next. If cost was an issue, the manual swivel works just fine. We have both on tankers and we use them all without any problems from either. Every portable tank operation I've been at has people around the tanks doing various things so operating a manual dump valve isn't an issue. Put a water level gauge on the rear of the truck near the direct tank fill and add 12v scene lights over the side valves. We have found those things really help the operators during a shuttle. Have a safe day out there.

Forum Member

Our tanker now has 3 newtons that are controlled from both the rear and the cab. Every dealer we've spoken to says the rear swivel can dump electrically but there is no electonic devices to move it aroud, it has to be done manually, which is not a problem as we always have someone at the drop tank.

I'm looking for some information mostly with dumping times on the swivel. Dealers are telling me it's slower, but I can't seem to get any good info on how much slower.

Forum Member

We have a swivel dump. One unexpected advantage we've found is that it allows you to be a little "sloppier" when backing up to rear dump, since if you're not aligned exactly square with the tank you can swivel the chute to compensate. Ours is a manual dump so someone has to be back there to dump it anyway.

I don't see any reason why a swivel would dump slower than any other type except for the initial dump where you set the chute into position (left, right, or rear). After that, you shouldn't need to move it unless you're switching between side and rear dumping every time, which would be a little unusual.

The one thing I don't like about ours is that the extensions out the side aren't very long, but I'm sure we could fabricate something to add on if we wanted to.

Andy

Forum Member

We just ordered a new tanker and are putting 4 dumps on it, controlled from the cab. 2 on each side. Our neighbor department has this and the dump time is fantastic. No rear dump, don't like seeing tankers backing during emergency situations.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Chief1120, can you provide a photo or link showing the dual dumps that you've described?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Lightbulb another thought

Pumper/tenders have a pump and if you have a large enough pump and a large enough tank to pump you could pump through a short piece of 5 inch with a difuser to avoid the cost of three + power dumps.

I have trained crews on both the swivel & standard dumps in my area. I do like the no backing up idea, the problem is NFPA still requires 270 degree dump capability.

Great discussion and i have printed it off for my next water movement class.

Our 2010 Peterbuilt 2500 gal pumper/tender has 3 dumps with air operated valves and air operated extension chutes that are controlled from in the cab or the rear of the truck. Pretty slick setup. I would say to get a tank level gauge on the rear by the tank fill, that's one thing we did not do on this truck that we should have and will have retrofitted in the future. We also have a power fold rack for A 3000 gal portable tank on this rig making it easier to handle a large drop tank like that.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I would further ask will the dump be manually operated by those outside the cab, or power operated by the driver from inside the cab?

Our tanker pumper/tender engine has 3 dumps, one on each side behind the cab, and one at the rear. They are all manually operated but if we were designing this rig today I would have the side dumps be power opeated fom the cab. We tend to do the majority of our drop tank ops as drive along the side of the drop tank dumping. A power operated dump that the driver could operate without ever leaving the cab, or having to place a firefighter in between the tender and the drop tank, would be safer and far more efficient.
    Yup, "Drive by" shooting from the cab is the way to go.

We just purchased a tanker (thank you FEMA) and speced a swing dump on it. We put a lot of thought into it, and made the choice on these thoughts.

1. Backing if you have to, you don't have to align as carefully.

2. Cost

We have a water control person when we deploy portable ponds, and that person can swing the chute in either direction just as quickly as using a side dump.

3. 1 chute requires less maintenance than three - although maintenance is almost minimal.

We also decided to go with manual chutes. Maintenance was a BIG issue, as was the fact it would not save us any time with the water control person sitting there.

MEPOFIRE made a good point about the rear tank gauge. I had them take the small panel indicator that normally goes on the pump panel on the rear, then put two large indicators on each side of the truck, just back from the rear of the cab.

We also used a manual tank holder, maintenance being the biggest concern. Everything I do I try to plan for future, and we are a very rural and underfunded department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by getasupply View Post
    Pumper/tenders have a pump and if you have a large enough pump and a large enough tank to pump you could pump through a short piece of 5 inch with a difuser to avoid the cost of three + power dumps.

I have trained crews on both the swivel & standard dumps in my area. I do like the no backing up idea, the problem is NFPA still requires 270 degree dump capability.

Great discussion and i have printed it off for my next water movement class.
    I understand the NFPA requirement, but that standard needs to be really looked at.

They still want you to carry a 2-1/2 gal. water can on a tanker, Don't you have enough water within the tank

Quote Originally Posted by chief1120 View Post
    I understand the NFPA requirement, but that standard needs to be really looked at.

They still want you to carry a 2-1/2 gal. water can on a tanker, Don't you have enough water within the tank
    comes in handy for priming portable pumps when the tank is empty. Not sure if a portable pump is in the spec or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MEPOFIRE View Post
    comes in handy for priming portable pumps when the tank is empty. Not sure if a portable pump is in the spec or not.
    So does a bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    So does a bucket.
    I have never been able to prime a pump with a bucket.

Name:  bucket.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  7.8 KB

Thread Information