Thread: IAFF Membership

Forum Member

Question IAFF Membership

My employer has threatened our line officers with formal discipline (termination/demotion) if they join our newly-formed local.

Can a municipal government legally forbid line officers from joining an IAFF local?

We've been through the discussion of creating a second local for the officers. However, we are a small department and would rather not pursue this option.

FYI, we are not afforded collective bargaining rights.

Thanks for your input.

IM22

Forum Member

If it's written into the job description that certain positions fall outside of the bargaining unit, then they probably can. That would also likely preclude chartering a seperate local for the officers. Researching that is your first step.

After you figure that out, your best bet is to contact your district VP for guidance.

Good luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan22 View Post
    My employer has threatened our line officers with formal discipline (termination/demotion) if they join our newly-formed local.

Can a municipal government legally forbid line officers from joining an IAFF local?
    While it's possible that these position could be ineligible to join your Local, I'm pretty sure that the employer is not allowed to threaten discipline for joining a union.

In addition to contacting your District VP, consulting a labor attorney and the local Labor Relations board for guidance could be beneficial. You may have an Unfair Labor Practice in progress because of this.

If it helps any, there a many small Locals in my state in which everybody except the Fire Chief is in the Local.

Have they given any reason for their opposition?
    Last edited by FireMedic049; 01-17-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Forum Member

They want nothing to do with the IAFF. As soon as our town manager caught wind of the plan, he instructed the chief to put an end to it. It was an effective tactic. All of our company officers suspended their membership as a result of the decree.

We were very disappointed with this decision because we had no intention of creating an adversarial relationship. We hope to find an amicable solution to the problem.

IM22

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan22 View Post
    They want nothing to do with the IAFF. As soon as our town manager caught wind of the plan, he instructed the chief to put an end to it. It was an effective tactic. All of our company officers suspended their membership as a result of the decree.

We were very disappointed with this decision because we had no intention of creating an adversarial relationship. We hope to find an amicable solution to the problem.

IM22
    Did you mean that they stopped seeking membership rather than suspending their membership?

I'd still discuss the matter with the people suggested because this sounds very much like intimidation and possibly coercion on the part of your fire chief and employer and should not be just ignored. If this is the case, you don't necessarily need to fully pursue charges on them. Just making them aware that they committed a serious violation of labor law and that you are considering filing charges could be leveraged to your advantage.

Forum Member

It is illegal for the employer to threaten anyone during the formation of a Union of any sort. This is protected under Federal Labor laws. I would contact the IAFF directly and let them handle this. This is the sort of "sensational" thing that they love. Good luck.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

You need to find out if you have any friends in city hall, get them on board. Also the citizens as well. And I'm sure other local's that are near you ( and maybe even some that are not ) would show up to meetings to show support. Don't back down.

Thread Information