MembersZone Subscriber
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Well so far no 1199 or DJ on mine.
    Have 2 that I helped with already awarded and one more thats an unknown so far.

I guess thats a good thing

Still hanging out at the bar!

Forum Member

Ed, just a whole lot of time with no sleep and the apps themselves. All the stats are right there that the computer sees. It's what it does with them that no one is allowed to know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Ed, just a whole lot of time with no sleep and the apps themselves. All the stats are right there that the computer sees. It's what it does with them that no one is allowed to know.
    So this was raw data from the apps you compiled for clients? Or is there a source for all apps buried somewhere in the AFG's website?

Forum Member

Raw data from our apps. Technically all apps are FOIA, so if you really REALLY had a lot of free time on your hands you could get copies of all of them, retype data, compile, and all that fun stuff. But I'm not seeing anyone's better half letting them out of sight for that long. Mainly started with similar departments with one funded, one Peer and not funded, and one CDJ'd. Haven't done it on a large scale in a while, but as everyone alludes to it will come down to 1 call, a small population difference, or even a 1 year difference in vehicles. Hence the reason you learn what you can, make the best apps at the time, and dust off when needed. And just like everyone else I'm bittersweet about it, we had a lot of denials too but also threaded some needles and set some records for funding levels and coordination among regional partners. And also hit some trucks and other apps that people have been trying for years to get. I just keep moving onward, there's more of other people's money out there for who we work with, so we'll tap as much as we can. Best we can do is build the app, press Submit, and then move on to the next one.

Forum Member

What is automated assessment based on? Who decides what the eligibility requirements will be? I would like to have a one on one with group/person and let them know my thoughts.

Forum Member

There's a panel convened of members of the major fire service organizations, NVFC, IAFC, IAFF, etc, etc. Main priorities were developed many moons ago, refinements have been made as issues developed. Like the changes coming to 2012 where the projects themselves will receive more consideration than the population, call volume, etc. So more PPE apps will go through for smaller departments than have in the past. If you have thoughts, get them through to the various organizations and state your case. That's how most of the changes have come around.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Got my DJ today.

I thought I made a pretty strong case for RIT equipment, bail out equipment, and training for my POC FD. Especially thought I did a good job of pushing not only making our RIT available to our mutual aid partners, but also offering training to make them integral to our team.

Oh well, there is always hopefully next year to try again.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Found our DJ today, guess I need to sharpen my pencil and try to tighten up the app. for next year.

Forum Member

Yesterday I saw we had a message, it was a ding letter, I went back within 2 hours to print it off and it was not there anymore and checked today and still not there, whats going on??

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wlfire55 View Post
    Yesterday I saw we had a message, it was a ding letter, I went back within 2 hours to print it off and it was not there anymore and checked today and still not there, whats going on??
    If you go to the upper right hand corner of the status page, and click on the "mail center" tab.
    When the new page comes up, click on "old messages" on the tabs at the top of the page.
    See if the letter is there.

Forum Member

There's a panel convened of members of the major fire service organizations, NVFC, IAFC, IAFF, etc, etc. Main priorities were developed many moons ago, refinements have been made as issues developed. Like the changes coming to 2012 where the projects themselves will receive more consideration than the population, call volume, etc. So more PPE apps will go through for smaller departments than have in the past. If you have thoughts, get them through to the various organizations and state your case. That's how most of the changes have come around.
    I understand our peers help make up the rules, but feel the peer group is more bias towards the career department needs. I would like to know out of the actual members that make the recommendation, how many work with budget less than $50K.

Forum Member

More than you would think. More are up there at Peer from combo/vollie than anything else.

MembersZone Subscriber

Brian, can you provide any more info about the changes for 2012? Just got DJ for 14 coat/pants that are over 10 yr old (out of 24 total) A cost benefit of $.65. I can't change population, calls, area served, etc. Already elliminated boots and everything else to get cost as low as possible ($28,400).
    Thx

Forum Member

Not really, specifics will never be released and some of it's still unofficial info based on talks I've had with the right people. But that's basically what they're shooting for is making sure that they can identify people with gear much older than 12 years and ensuring they get their fair shakeout.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Ed. I got your email last week about Tim getting his tanker award this year. I think he was about ready to give up if you had not helped him. Goes to show you never give up.
    Haven’t got a DJ on mine yet but AT&T is having connection problems so not celebrating making it to peer quite yet but hopeful.
    Good luck everyone.
    dfd701

Forum Member

They wanted to make sure I was notified my request for a TIC was denied. Got a letter dated 1/11/12 and again today 01/19/12. At least I got hope for my Brush truck for third try.

Forum Member

That would be the "we can do it right the 2nd time" email they're getting good at...the software people not DHS...

MembersZone Subscriber

Got mine for equipment but not for my truck yet.

Forum Member

I just received our email notification that both our grants were denied. I dunno what we're going to do about this narrow banding that goes into affect next year. We can't afford the 800 mhz radios. I guess we'll be contacting our Congressional delegation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Got ours

Got ours, no pumper.
    Malcolm Cunningham
    Fire Chief - Hardin FPD
    Hardin, MO

MembersZone Subscriber

Got ours today, no new tanker denied two years in a row

MembersZone Subscriber

Unless I am wrong, you do not have to transition into 800Mhz radios to narrowband. All you do is narrowband your frequincy and your current radios. No need to buy new one unless your radios are extremly old.

Forum Member

Our dispatch is contracted through another municipality that is larger and has the funds to switch and will be doing that in the next 90 days. Since they are going to 800 they are forcing us to go 800. Same problem is happening to our PD. We'd have no problem to narrow band our current radios but they won't do it. Our grant was 150k for preps, mobile, base. Our total yearly budget for FD is only 120K.

Quote Originally Posted by morgancity View Post
    Unless I am wrong, you do not have to transition into 800Mhz radios to narrowband. All you do is narrowband your frequincy and your current radios. No need to buy new one unless your radios are extremly old.

Forum Member

Dang! Cant even get a single TIC for a district without one and 20 minute mutual aid responses. Fire & ems responses 50-80 per year, but have had white cloud years the last two of about 35.

Thread Information