Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Forum Member

Kurt,

If that is the case and only 4000 grants remain in play, what are the odds of getting funded? I know there were stats on here but I cant find them. I have a vehicle grant for a pumper @$325,000. Any Ideas or insight to this? Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by capt2363 View Post
    Kurt,

If that is the case and only 4000 grants remain in play, what are the odds of getting funded? I know there were stats on here but I cant find them. I have a vehicle grant for a pumper @$325,000. Any Ideas or insight to this? Thanks for your help.

I am at my desk call me at 863-551-9598 and I'll go over that with you again.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone who requested more info from AFG as to why they got a computer DJ received a reply yet?
    Last edited by BB3939; 03-31-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Typo
    BB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BB3939 View Post
    Has anyone who requested more info from AFG as to why they got a computer DJ received a reply yet?
    Yeah, there was a letter in my mailbox at the fire hall...it basically just was a longer winded version of the one they emailed.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    Our dispatch is contracted through another municipality that is larger and has the funds to switch and will be doing that in the next 90 days. Since they are going to 800 they are forcing us to go 800. Same problem is happening to our PD. We'd have no problem to narrow band our current radios but they won't do it. Our grant was 150k for preps, mobile, base. Our total yearly budget for FD is only 120K.

Put up a bridge between the 800 Mhz talkgroup they give you, and your VHF system. Cost is minimal.

Forum Member

Just checking to see if anyone has received their Peer Review DJ notifications ? We requested SCBA upgrades and multiband communication handhelds that would allow us to communicate with the neighboring depts that are on 700/800mhz.

Stay safe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pyromedic802 View Post
    Just checking to see if anyone has received their Peer Review DJ notifications ? We requested SCBA upgrades and multiband communication handhelds that would allow us to communicate with the neighboring depts that are on 700/800mhz.

Stay safe.
    Nothing yet. The silver lining is that we can at least get copies of the commentary this time around and see where we went wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Station 49 View Post
    Nothing yet. The silver lining is that we can at least get copies of the commentary this time around and see where we went wrong.
    Who sold you that bridge? They're not releasing Peer Review comments. The automated comp DJ letters are the lone feedback other than the usual Peer DJ letters that are also automagically written. Won't be any more info this year than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Who sold you that bridge? They're not releasing Peer Review comments. The automated comp DJ letters are the lone feedback other than the usual Peer DJ letters that are also automagically written. Won't be any more info this year than any other.
    Was wondering that myself. I agree with bc79er here. I don't see anyway possible that they could give you individual peer commentary.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    I thought we could always get commentary on why the grant wasn't graded well in peer review.

How in the hell are we supposed to know why our grants don't get approved then? What a crock.

Chief49 you can get a general commentary which usually cites areas that were weak but, your original post suggested that you were going to receive "individual commentary from the reviewers" and that would be impossible to do given the scope and magnitude of this program.Its worth asking for the letter but, be advised that the responses can be pretty generic in nature. I do offer a solution for that if you care to give me a call.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Nope, never could. Only thing that's ever sent out is a form letter with some sections of the PG copied and pasted into it based on the relative scores of each section. If it mentions something about Financial Assistance, then your score in that section was below the average of those awarded. Some insight, but that algorithm also sticks that statement in if the average was 23 and you got a 22.5. Doesn't distinguish between close and way bad.

But those sections not mentioned means they were decent. Doesn't give any insight into what they liked and didn't like, but then again you have a bunch of humans up there. No idea what they were thinking as apps came across the table to them. I've got apps that weren't changed much other than mentioning current call stats and budgets from year to year and went early Peer one year to a first round award the next. Peer comments aren't very insightful either, most of the time there aren't any, just the scores.

Well from all indications, and multiple sources, it appears that the fat lady will sing late this afternoon for the remaining 3699 applications that made it to peer but did not manage to get an award this year. Chin up folks, you almost made it, try again! For those trying to figure out what you did wrong I have several classes still open for students prior to the June opening of the 2012 AFG.I can guarantee you that you will get far more insight into what you are doing wrong than waiting on that form letter they send from AFG.
    Kurt Bradley

I take it they didnt drop yesterday?
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Well sitting here this morning with a big washcloth wiping the egg off my face. Can' t beleive that two of us, with seperate sources both had wrong information. I did notice yesterday at 3:00PM that there was a 20-30 minute period of time where you could not log onto the portal; maybe that had something to do with it. Suffice it to say that although we missed the time hack mark, they are coming and I would be very shocked if it did not happen before the end of this week.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Kurt you were only off by a day. Got a Peer DJ this morning at 0827. Came to both my personal e-mail and through the FEMA portal
    Last edited by chief14oc; 04-19-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief14oc View Post
    Kurt you were only off by a day. Got a Peer DJ this morning at 0827.
    Well that was good to know; needed to wash my face this morning anyway. Condolences to those with DJs in their mailboxes. Mosy on down to Brokenheartsville Saloon and have a stiff one or two then go sleep it off and start buffing it up for next year... its only 60 days out right now.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Dear John... You suck! Got ours today. Ya!

Forum Member

Received this morning. $136k for SCBAs and RIT pack. 0-4 now for FEMA grants.

Thread Information