Forum Member

Default Apparatus grant question

We may possibly be receiving an AFG apparatus grant (we received an 1199A but no award notification yet) and I have a question concerning the details on the truck we are allowed to purchase.

In the grant it was wrote that we would be requesting a 2000 gallon tank, 500 gpm pump and crew cab. Now does this mean if we are awarded the money that we are not allowed to get a 2500 gallon tank and/or 750 pump if we are able to get it for the same price as the 2000 gallon tank 500 gpm pump truck we had priced?

I was unable to find the answer to this question via search so hoping someone has some insight. We are new to getting an apparatus award so we want to make sure we follow all rules.

Forum Member

When we received our apparatus grant the amount awarded was less than we requested. after appealing their reduction, which we lost, I called the grant person in charge of our grant. I explained that with the reduction we would not be able to purchase the cab we had asked four, four door cab, but instead would have to purchase 2 door cab. The price was thousands less. I was told that was okay as long as we purchased a tanker truck. I would suggest calling after you are awarded to make sure, but I see no problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mach158 View Post
    We may possibly be receiving an AFG apparatus grant (we received an 1199A but no award notification yet) and I have a question concerning the details on the truck we are allowed to purchase.

In the grant it was wrote that we would be requesting a 2000 gallon tank, 500 gpm pump and crew cab. Now does this mean if we are awarded the money that we are not allowed to get a 2500 gallon tank and/or 750 pump if we are able to get it for the same price as the 2000 gallon tank 500 gpm pump truck we had priced?

I was unable to find the answer to this question via search so hoping someone has some insight. We are new to getting an apparatus award so we want to make sure we follow all rules.
    They usually do not ever give you an problem about "increasing the capability"; the problem would come if you are trying to deviate down instead of up in terms of capacities.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

mach158, the only thing you can't do is go bigger than 750gpm on the pump capacity, per the rules that takes it into the pumper category so you'd wouldn't be buying what you applied for. The tank size can go as big as you want, we've had people get awarded going after 2 door single axle 500gpm/2000gal tankers and end up buying custom 4dr 750gpm/3500gal war wagons because the prices dropped after the award and competitive bidding, and a little extra matching. Buy the best you can get at the time, and as long as the truck isn't the object of the lien, you can finance the matching portion. Most vendors now are doing unsecured financing because of the federal regulations, but considering the amount of cash they're getting up front from the award it only makes sense.

Forum Member

Sounds good. Thanks everyone for the information.

Thread Information