MembersZone Subscriber

Default Spokane conditional letter

I recived a conditional letter from the city of Spokane and am a little confused on the meaning of it. It starts off with:

Congratulations, you completed the interview process for the position of Firefighter and have been placed on our list for further processing.

As part of this conditional offer of employment you will be scheduled for an appointment at OA for a pre-employment physical and drug screen.

Another part of this conditional offer of employment is scheduling you for a pre-employment psychological evaluation

That part is understood but the last line of the same letter is:

Acceptance of this opportunity is entirely voluntary. [U]This opportunity should not be construed as an offer of employment[U].

So to my question, Is this a job offer as in if I pass I get the job or would you read it as if you pass you move on to another list?

Thanks for the help,
    MB

Forum Member

Conditional offer isn't an offer for employment. You have to finish the process then you get the unconditional offer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbcolt45 View Post
    Another part of this conditional offer of employment is scheduling you for a pre-employment psychological evaluation

That part is understood

MB
    I hope you really understand. This can be a big land mine. Because 20 to 40% fail the psych evaluation. As you prepared in advance for every step of the hiring process to get the conditional offer, you need to prepare in advance for the psych to pass it the first time out.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

First, congrats on making it this far. I am very familiar with Spokane's process. It is a conditional offer, in that if you pass both the Physc and the Medical you will have the job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for the replies. I'm starting to physc my self out thinking I read in to it to much but now I think I'm overthinking it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbcolt45 View Post
    Thank you for the replies. I'm starting to physc my self out thinking I read in to it to much but now I think I'm overthinking it.
    This is common. It can be caused by not feeling prepared. Getting prepared will reduce the stress. Yes, you can prepare on what to expect.

You can gain some information to pass the psych the first time out on this previous page:
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...ns-HELP!/page3
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

mbcolt45 congratulations on the conditional job offer. It is very exciting and nerve racking at the same time. The advice that Captain Bob is very very good advice. I would strongly reccomend you look into Captain Bob's material on the psych. It is worth every penny. I have used Captain Bob's information many times and just yesterday received an unconditional job offer, after passing the psych test using the info I got from Captain Bob.

Forum Member

Congrats on obtaining a COH!

Bring your A-game to the psych. Captain Bob and Don McNea provide valuable information on the exam. You can also do a google search on "MMPI-2". That is most likely what you will encounter.

Forum Member

I received the same type of letter from a different city. I read it as, if you pass the drug screening, psych test, and physical then you will be in our academy at some point in time. It's not an offer of employment because you must pass the above test. If it didn't say conditional then they would have people quitting their current jobs etc etc. Make sense?

Thread Information