Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Dallas Fire-Rescue 2012!

Forum Member

@TheHulk86 If we don't make the cut for Apr., then I believe we just have to do everything again from the start.

@clf0144 I was told that we can call to check our rank around the 15th. Seems like a long time, but it's less than 2 weeks before we know.

Good luck to anyone who still has their interview left.

Forum Member

Anyone know what physical requirements there will be for candidates who are hired? I've heard 1.5 mile under 13:30 mins, and 18 flights of stairs with full gear on (timed), but does anyone know any other things that we might be able to work on while we wait to find out? I know it's best to be working out already, so I just thought it wouldn't hurt to test myself.

Forum Member

check youtube, and if you are not emt already, may want to set down with some one and start preping for it.

I think that is where most stumble

yes stay in shape

Forum Member

Run as much/far/often as possible.
    Don't worry too much about weight lifting.
    Do a lot of push ups. If you can crank out 50-60 at a time you'll be good. Get your core in shape too. Do 6 inches a lot. Sit up's. Etc....
    If you're gonna lift weights....focus on legs and back/shoulders.

There will be days out there that will work you no matter how good of shape you think you're in.

As far as prepping for EMT class....might not be a bad idea. If you are new to medical stuff....it comes real fast. That said, everyone I went through with passed the class.

Forum Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I hope I get the chance to get my butt kicked every once in a while. Nothing like getting in better shape, all while training to begin your career.

Forum Member

You can check your ranking on or after the 24th

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlee363 View Post
    You can check your ranking on or after the 24th
    A lot of the interviewees, including myself, were told to call around the middle of the month. Did you speak with someone who told you to wait til the 24th?

That doesn't even seem like it would be two week's notice. Does anyone know when the Academy starts?

Forum Member

When I was there earlier this week, I overheard the lady saying next week is the last week they are doing interviews.

Forum Member

They told me the 24th last wk before my interview. I believe they're interviewing the out-of-towners this wk. last day of interviews should be this Friday.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kcam23 View Post
    A lot of the interviewees, including myself, were told to call around the middle of the month. Did you speak with someone who told you to wait til the 24th?

That doesn't even seem like it would be two week's notice. Does anyone know when the Academy starts?
    I will probably end up calling next week sometime. Not sure about the academy start date but I thought the official hire date for Oct. was on the 1st but who knows I guess.

Forum Member

I would think that they'd at least provide a two week notice for us to tell our current employers.

Forum Member

If you read through the last classes that went through, you still have medical and getting bunker gear, so yes you will have a little advance notice

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t118936-77/ (Dallas fire rescue hiring 2011!)

Forum Member

Last years thread had them finding out their rank and class date on the 24th. I bet it will be closer to to that this go around. Im getting pretty exctied! Its been a long process since march, ha!

Forum Member

I would think that they'd at least provide a two week notice for us to tell our current employers.
    I was hired in the last go around in Oct 2011 and they called me 9 days before I had to report to the academy. And I was moving across the country. Still the best decision I've ever made though!

Forum Member

Hard not to burn bridges with current employers with a 9 day notice, but I'll do whatever I have to, in order to do this. I can't wait for that phone call. I keep hoping for some reason that they'll call early, by accident. I bet I check this thread once every 2-3 hours for updates. Hang in there guys...It'll be soon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    check youtube, and if you are not emt already, may want to set down with some one and start preping for it.

I think that is where most stumble

yes stay in shape
    Im expecting the workouts to rough at first if I make it to the academy. As far as the EMS training goes this is where most people fail, and failing = fired, although they may put you on a rehire list if you go pay for your own medic school and pass your National Registry. I had 2 ex DFD members in my class when I finished. One I know has been rehired and the other Im not sure about. Only thing that really helps with this before you start the class is learning A&P. Mainly Sympathetic and Parasympathetic nervous system.

Forum Member

Default I got the call!!!!!

Well, my patience got the best of me and I called this morning to check my rank. The lady that answered said that she did not know, and that they'd start calling within the next 2-3 weeks. I was pretty bummed that we were going to have to wait that much longer, but around noon I got a call from a 214 number. It was a different lady, and she congratulated me and said that I was in. She said I was in the Oct. class and that I'd get a call from her within a week or so, and she'd set me up with my fingerprint, drug test, etc... I can't wait to get started, and look forward to meeting you guys. Good luck to everyone.

Forum Member

@Kcam23

Did they give anymore info? What r ur certs?

Forum Member

No certs at all. All they told me was to wait for her call to let me know when to get my fingerprints/drug test/etc...

Forum Member

Default Polygraph?

I know this is off the current topic but did anyone else that is currently going through or has previously gone through the hiring process have any issues with the any of the technician that administered the polygraph? I only ask because it has been bothering me ever since I took the polygraph how the technician that performed mine was very unprofessional and in some instances disrespectful and rude.

Forum Member

I just called and was told to call back on the 24th for ranking.

Forum Member

@JCamo, Did you take your poly here locally, or are you out of area?

Forum Member

I took it here at the Ruiz Protection Services office by Harry Hines. It was just really messed how I was treated. He kept messing up the wording on a question and then he would get angry when I kept telling him no and it was the simplest question too. He eventually yelled at me and cursed at me for his mistake. To top it off, I have a scar on the inside of my wrist that is from an accident where I broke the bones in my forearm and had to have surgery and he had the balls to ask if I tried to kill myself and chuckle.

Forum Member

wow. That's pretty unprofessional. I took mine at the same place we had the interview just down the hall. My technician was extremely down to earth, professional and very welcoming of any questions and very helpful calming me down and answering any questions. Could not have asked for a better person.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCamo View Post
    I took it here at the Ruiz Protection Services office by Harry Hines. It was just really messed how I was treated. He kept messing up the wording on a question and then he would get angry when I kept telling him no and it was the simplest question too. He eventually yelled at me and cursed at me for his mistake. To top it off, I have a scar on the inside of my wrist that is from an accident where I broke the bones in my forearm and had to have surgery and he had the balls to ask if I tried to kill myself and chuckle.

Forum Member

No certs at all. All they told me was to wait for her call to let me know when to get my fingerprints/drug test/etc...
    Are you from out of town or local? Do you know of anyone else that received a call?

Thread Information