Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Dallas Fire-Rescue 2012!

Forum Member

Thats what I was told when I called to find out my number, they told me I am #70...they asked me to send them more copies of my transcripts, but that was the last I've heard from them...same here with the soon...I've looked at the forum for the previous year and those that started the academy in march of 2012 were contacted around this time...so, hopefully soon really is soon since I have to move from San Antonio...

Forum Member

@devil_doc.....do you have a place to stay and if you do are you looking for roommates???

Forum Member

I dont have a place yet...Ive been looking, but haven't really found anything yet...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by devil_doc2/4 View Post
    I dont have a place yet...Ive been looking, but haven't really found anything yet...
    Read back through the posts and maybe pm some of the earlier class to see if they still have a room

""""Congratulations for those who have been given an offer! Dallas is one of the best and I'm proud to work here. For people moving out of state check out The Reserve at White Rock, good prices and about ten mins from the academy. Let me know if you need details, I live here and about ten other guys who got hired last year""""

Forum Member

Hey @fire49, I live in Addison now, and I was thinking about moving close to the Academy, if ithere are about 10 of u guys already live at Reserve At White Rock, it would great to live there too R u plnning to still stay there or after the Academy u guys r planning to leave?. Can u plz give me some info about the place, especially the price!! I would really appreciate it. I should be starting with the March/April guys too. Thx

Forum Member

Sorry I was trying to say check back through the postings, a number of people in current or past classes seem to live there, and pm them

here is the one that posted that::

ThunderDome7

do a search using white rock and reserve

i do not live there

you might even call the reserve and ask them nicely, to hook you up with dallas firefighters that live there, and they may pass your name around

Forum Member

There are also some guys in the current class that are living in some apartments called Lakewood Greens. They are around 15 mins away from Dolphin Road. I don't know any more about them, so your best chance is looking them up. The guys that live there told me that they like them. Good luck. Not much longer guys/gals. March will be here before you know it.

Forum Member

If anybody is interested in trying to get 3 or 4 guys together please let me know. You can either pm me or text me at 281-974-8744. I am currently living in Waco and looking to stay close to the academy. Sounds like The Reserve or Lakewood Greens are close enough to the academy.

Forum Member

If anybody is interested in getting 3 0r 4 guys together please either pm me or text me at 281-974-8744. Im moving from Waco and want to stay somewhere close to the academy. Sounds like The Reserve and Lakewood Greens both fit that criteria. The sooner we can get something nailed down the better. April will be here before we know it.

Forum Member

Got my call the other day regarding my job offer So excited and ready to start I seriously cannot wait!!!

Forum Member

My friend received a call. His fingerprints are scheduled for February.

Forum Member

Halfway done, and about to start EMT school. I'm looking forward to getting through EMT and seeing you guys/gals back home at 5000 Dolphin Road. It'll seem like forever for it to get here, but it'll feel like a blur when you're done. Get ready to make some of the best friends you'll have the rest of your life, and train to work for the best FD around.
    Novasdaddy and sam88 like this.

Forum Member

Got my call probably same day as Novasdaddy..I can't wait to start either.. I can't wait for this..

Forum Member

Guys I would reconsider working for Dallas it seems all good but I have worked for
    DFD for 7 years and have had one raise. We (the department) actually took a pay cut
    And I am only now making more than a brand new recruit. You can go to any other major city in the state and make more than we do. Also it's not just the pay you also have to ride an ambulance and we have historically had the busiest ambulances in the state and some of the busiest In The u.s. just an FYI for all of yall that are gungho about working for the big "D".

Forum Member

surely you have your paramedic by now.. why are you still there if you dislike it so much??

Forum Member

This is a repost that I wrote in the 2013 thread, but I feel it needs to be said again.

If you're going to be a firefighter, in any city, for the paycheck, you're in the wrong line of business. Dallas does not make it any secret that a majority of their work is on the box, and they make their pay scale public as well. I work for Dallas because I love the city, the history, and what DFD stands for. I joined this department to help people, and one of the best ways to do so is on the ambulance. If you're coming to Dallas to fight a lot of fire, you might be disappointed. However, if you want to join Dallas to become a part of something bigger than you, then you're in the right place. Go to work with a positive attitude, ready to help people, and you'll be happy. On the flip-side, go to work mad, because you haven't gotten a raise, other cities make more, and you have to ride the box....then maybe one of those other cities is better suited for you. Good luck to everyone in the hiring process. This is an awesome job and an awesome city. Don't worry about what a few bitter people say.

Forum Member

Haven't been on here in a while. I called recruiting and had confirmation on a start date set for March 27th. Still have to say, this is all seems to good to be true. The realty of it all is slowly beginning to sink in. I cannot wait to get started! I seriously can't imagine a better job that suits my character and lifestyle. With this career I will have the honor of serving others while continually being challenged to grow and elaborate on my strengths as well as become aware of my weaknesses. In turn, sharpening the image of the man I aim to become. Not only for myself but for my family and God. Working for the FD is a much greater privilege than I truly deserve. Which is why I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity. We represent all those that have come before us and all those that will come after. There are plenty of careers I could have chosen that would provide a much larger paycheck. The FD pays you back with something far greater than money, in fact I would say it truly is priceless. Just my opinion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bill white1234 View Post
    Guys I would reconsider working for Dallas it seems all good but I have worked for
    DFD for 7 years and have had one raise. We (the department) actually took a pay cut
    And I am only now making more than a brand new recruit. You can go to any other major city in the state and make more than we do. Also it's not just the pay you also have to ride an ambulance and we have historically had the busiest ambulances in the state and some of the busiest In The u.s. just an FYI for all of yall that are gungho about working for the big "D".
    I am not affiliated with Dallas in anyway, however I felt compelled to respond to this post. If you are a FF in any large city, expecially a major metropolitan city like Dallas you should be honored, this doesnt take away from any FF volunteer or paid working for small departments around (every city needs ff and not everyone can work in NYC) my point is riding the ambulance is part of it, same as washing dishes. Who cares what you do, be honored that you are one of the few privied to enjoy the title of Firefighter. sorry if there are any spelling mistakes

Forum Member

Don't get me wrong I love my job it's the best job in the world. The only thing I'm trying to say is after being beat down on the ambulance for nearly 6 yrs it would be nice to have the city have our backs and give us a raise, I still think Dallas is a great place to work im just trying to let these guys testing there are other cities in this great state that are willing to compensate their employees better. And when I got on I was not worried about the money this is what I have always wanted to do, but more money makes life easier. Plus I have the excellent pension to look forward to but these new guys get a crappy pension the same as tx municipal retierment system. I am proud to work for a big city and I still love my job, just trying to inform the next generation, and hopefully this will help them to make a more informed decision.

Forum Member

Got a call for my fingerprints and physical on Monday @ 11! The day I thought would never come is almost here! can't wait to meet you guys/girls that are going to be there in March!

Forum Member

Same here! WCMedic, a few of us have already met and have been keeping in touch the past few months. Feel free to shoot me a message on here and we can exchange info. Congratulations on making the cut! On that note, if there is anyone else who will be starting in March and would like to get to know a few of the guys that will be in the class, send me a message.

Forum Member

Hey guys! I was hired on the department in December of 2011 and will have two rooms opening up in a three bedroom apartment at the end of May - The Reserve at White Rock. Nice apartments only 10 min from the academy. About 8 of us now live here from classes that have graduated within the last year. Rent would be $425 (+ utilities, cable/internet). Usually comes out to about $500 a month with everything; 7 month lease. PM if you want any further details and I can get you my contact information. Good luck to those of you starting in March. This is without a doubt, the best job in the world!

Forum Member

Do you March guys know your exact start date? Have y'all gotten all of your gear?

Forum Member

Academy starts the 27th, however, I'm set up to be a sub so we (subs) will start on the 20th. They have already handed out congratulatory letters and uniforms. How has the academy been for you guys, Kcam?

Forum Member

If you need to prepare for the CPAT/PAT, FAST Fire Fitness has a brand new program in Grand Prairie (I-30 and MacArthur proximity). We are committed to all firefighter recruits doing their best as it is our mission to build a great reputation in supporting firefighters as well as assisting candidates in reaching their dream of becoming a firefighter and helping them maintain the superior and unique level of fitness required. Please contact me if you are interested in further info.

Thread Information