Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19262728293031 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Dallas Fire-Rescue 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterfromTexas View Post
    Is DFD still sending everyone hired to get their paramedic? If not how is this affecting the rotation on the rescue units for those that are coming in with a paramedic card, or are already working for DFD?
    Everyone who gets hired must complete paramedic training and certification/licensure as a condition of employment.

If you are already a paramedic, you must still jump through all the hoops as a newly-trained, yet awaiting certification firefighter with the exception of attending the entire paramedic training program. You must still complete a bridge course, protocol exam, hospital internship, and paramedic internship (as a third person on an MICU).

Depending on how you perform in the bridge program, the department reserves the right to send you through the entire program just as a new person off the street would have to attend. History has shown that alot of folks who get hired and are already have their paramedic certification bring with them habits that are counter to the way DFD wants things done.

Good, bad, or indifferent - that's just the way Dallas does it.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

I think with the amount of people they have hired the last few years the rotation into paramedic school will be awhile.

I know someone that has been on shift since June and he has not been given a date to attend paramedic school.

Forum Member

Hello all,

I just recently found out about the website. I am currently #62 in the 2012 class and will be attending the academy in April. I'm living in Waco right now and I was looking for a roommate or 2. Let me know if anybody is interested by either replying to this thread or private message me. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aggiejake05 View Post
    Hello all,

I just recently found out about the website. I am currently #62 in the 2012 class and will be attending the academy in April. I'm living in Waco right now and I was looking for a roommate or 2. Let me know if anybody is interested by either replying to this thread or private message me. Thanks
    You might read back to about July, and pm some of the people that are in the academy now, to see if they still have room.
    Suggest you stay near the academy, because of the traffic

Forum Member

Congrats AggieJake05, on making the cut. I am in the current class, and don't know that any of the guys need more roommates. Also, Fire49, if traffic is a concern, I can assure you that there's little to no traffic at 5:00-5:30am. :-) I live an hour from work, and haven't ever had traffic. (knock on wood). Now, going home is a different story. Hope everyone in the March/April class is getting ready. It'll come quicker than you think. Happy New Year.

Forum Member

Kcam23

Can you give me a rundown on the typical schedule that you are following at the academy? I've been doing a bunch of cardio but is there anything else that I need to focus on??? Thanks

Good practice would be running stairs in your PPE with something on your back to simulate the weight of your SCBA. Additionally, carry a 25- or 35 lb weight in your arms as you run. Run at least 6 stories up and down five (5) times.

Get a tractor tire (or several car tires), attach an appropriate diameter rope to it, and drag the tire(s) back 50 feet one way (and 50 feet back) while wearing PPE. Work yourself up to 8-10 sets (back and forth).

Work on running some distance. If you can run 5 miles, you are in good shape.
    Last edited by dfwfirefighter; 12-28-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    DFW

Forum Member

I am new to this Conversation. I am currently a Firefighter in Nebraska. I am looking to apply for Dallas Fire Rescue this next go around and I have a couple of questions. First question is, is it hard to get reciprocity with both fire and Medical Certifications for outside of Texas Residents? Second question is, how many people applied last time they did the process and how many people made it all the way through the process? Third do they ask for College Transcripts right off the bat or do they wait until the end for them? I wasn't the greatest student when I first started college took some time off and came back and have made it through both EMT and Paramedic school since then with decent grades, how much weight does College grades affect where you are on the list? Thanks for your replies.

Forum Member

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certificat...ansferring.asp

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Cannot speak on medical, call tdhs

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraum...s/NewCert.shtm

Since you have paramedic, would suggest bypass Dallas and test at a Texas dept that requires paramedic, you more then likely will be testing against 100 or less people, instead of a thousand or so

Forum Member

Can someone confirm for me that Dallas does fight fire from the ambulance/rescue/box? I don't mean automatically being rehab or RIT either. I mean, pull up on a fire in your first due, pack out and actually work.
    I ask because I only assume that you spend at least half of your time, if not more, on the box.

Can someone confirm for me that Dallas does fight fire from the ambulance/rescue/box? I don't mean automatically being rehab or RIT either. I mean, pull up on a fire in your first due, pack out and actually work.
    When you are assigned to ride the box for a shift, you do not routinely "fight fire". Once a fire is "upgraded" to a "working fire", an ambulance is added to the assignment. Once you arrive, fire suppression efforts are well underway. The firefighter/paramedics riding the box will remain in a "standby" status in order to provide immediate medical care to an injured firefighter or civilian. Although you carry SCBA and your PPE while riding the box, you will rarely use it because your primary responsibility for that shift is EMS.

I ask because I only assume that you spend at least half of your time, if not more, on the box.
    You will spend at least 50% of the time on the box (on a "per shift" basis). On a 24/48 schedule, you work an average of 10 24-hour shifts per month. Typically, you will have a day off per month so lets say you average nine (9) 24-hours shifts worked per month. Of those nine shifts, at least half of those will be assigned to ride the box for 24 hours. So in the case of nine shifts per month, you will ride at least five (5) of those on the box. A good month would give you three or four 24-hour shifts on an engine or truck.
    DFW

Forum Member

Dallas doesn't allow Paramedics to fight fire anymore. They don't even carry their PPE and SCBA. If you're on the box, you are just fire scene support and medic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcam23 View Post
    Dallas doesn't allow Paramedics to fight fire anymore. They don't even carry their PPE and SCBA. If you're on the box, you are just fire scene support and medic.
    When you are assigned to ride the box for a shift, you do not routinely "fight fire". Once a fire is "upgraded" to a "working fire", an ambulance is added to the assignment. Once you arrive, fire suppression efforts are well underway. The firefighter/paramedics riding the box will remain in a "standby" status in order to provide immediate medical care to an injured firefighter or civilian. Although you carry SCBA and your PPE while riding the box, you will rarely use it because your primary responsibility for that shift is EMS.
    DFW

Forum Member

Has anybody from the March/Arpril class heard anything new yet??...

Forum Member

I called a few days ago. The receptionist said they would be calling soon.....whatever "soon" means is beyond me. That could be tomorrow or it could be March. It would be nice to have a a couple months notice for current employers. @devil_doc, are you scheduled to start in April?

Forum Member

Thats what I was told when I called to find out my number, they told me I am #70...they asked me to send them more copies of my transcripts, but that was the last I've heard from them...same here with the soon...I've looked at the forum for the previous year and those that started the academy in march of 2012 were contacted around this time...so, hopefully soon really is soon since I have to move from San Antonio...

Forum Member

@devil_doc.....do you have a place to stay and if you do are you looking for roommates???

Forum Member

I dont have a place yet...Ive been looking, but haven't really found anything yet...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by devil_doc2/4 View Post
    I dont have a place yet...Ive been looking, but haven't really found anything yet...
    Read back through the posts and maybe pm some of the earlier class to see if they still have a room

""""Congratulations for those who have been given an offer! Dallas is one of the best and I'm proud to work here. For people moving out of state check out The Reserve at White Rock, good prices and about ten mins from the academy. Let me know if you need details, I live here and about ten other guys who got hired last year""""

Forum Member

Hey @fire49, I live in Addison now, and I was thinking about moving close to the Academy, if ithere are about 10 of u guys already live at Reserve At White Rock, it would great to live there too R u plnning to still stay there or after the Academy u guys r planning to leave?. Can u plz give me some info about the place, especially the price!! I would really appreciate it. I should be starting with the March/April guys too. Thx

Thread Information