Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Brevard County Fire Rescue

PPH
    Forum Member

Default Brevard County Fire Rescue

What's the perception of this department? Good? Bad? Ugly? Any Central FL guys familiar with them? I don't really see much mentioned on here about them. What's morale and working conditions like? I hear there is a lot of turnover there, any truth to that?

PPH
    Forum Member

No one?????

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by PPH View Post
    What's the perception of this department? Good? Bad? Ugly? Any Central FL guys familiar with them? I don't really see much mentioned on here about them. What's morale and working conditions like? I hear there is a lot of turnover there, any truth to that?
    Not good. As a medic, and I think they still require you to have you medic, or get it within a certain period of time, you are gonna be stuck on the box. For years and years. They have no Driver position, and when you promote to Lt, guess where you go? Back to the box. There have been several Lts promoted without seeing much engine time, let alone any fire, other then standing outside, or so I have been informed.

They are turning a corner, they just (2 years or less) got Truck Co.s (41, 48, 82) and staff then like they should be (4). Pay is low, no Kelly Day, and the impression I got from doing my medic clinicals there, and taking medic with 30 or so BCFR guys, was most of them want NOTHING to do with EMS, and wanted off the Rescue forthwith.

I know what I just wrote was pretty brutal, but it was straightforward, and I don't hold back. Things very well may have changed since I took medic, but the guys I know weren't happy, and I saw a LOT of familiar faces when I tested with OSCFR.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    I know what I just wrote was pretty brutal, but it was straightforward, and I don't hold back. Things very well may have changed since I took medic, but the guys I know weren't happy, and I saw a LOT of familiar faces when I tested with OSCFR.
    What's up bro? Brutal, no. Honest, YES. I don't know many firemen(there is a difference between firefighters and firemen) who like being on the nurse wagon. I must say that I've done all kinds of cool $hit on the Rescue, but it was right place right time. Don't get me wrong, I like being a medic but I would MUCH rather be on the Engine. I have been acting officer a lot for the past year and have to say that the Engine is the place to be!

Now to the OP, who gives a fu#k what the guys that work there think. A JOB IS A JOB right now. Don't worry about dept politics, pay, benefits etc. If you want to get on the job then take what you can get. Palm Beach County was suppose to hire right around 100 this year, now they have scrapped any hiring and are going to 2 man engines and adaptive responses instead of overtime. Adaptive response means that you have 2-3 guys and an Engine and Rescue. If a fire call come in you take the Engine, if a medical comes in you take the Rescue. SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Pay is around $35k, right? Isn't that pretty much the norm for most of FL? Low-to -mid $30k's to start?

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    What's up bro? Brutal, no. Honest, YES. I don't know many firemen(there is a difference between firefighters and firemen) who like being on the nurse wagon. I must say that I've done all kinds of cool $hit on the Rescue, but it was right place right time. Don't get me wrong, I like being a medic but I would MUCH rather be on the Engine. I have been acting officer a lot for the past year and have to say that the Engine is the place to be!

Now to the OP, who gives a fu#k what the guys that work there think. A JOB IS A JOB right now. Don't worry about dept politics, pay, benefits etc. If you want to get on the job then take what you can get. Palm Beach County was suppose to hire right around 100 this year, now they have scrapped any hiring and are going to 2 man engines and adaptive responses instead of overtime. Adaptive response means that you have 2-3 guys and an Engine and Rescue. If a fire call come in you take the Engine, if a medical comes in you take the Rescue. SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Living the dream bro. Got picked up by Osceola, riding backwards for now, loving life. I LOVE being on the Engine, but now and then, I get the urge to be a Medic again. No BLS like here, but run just ALS calls like I did up north. Great learning experience, low burnout. You can only take so much B(L)S at ohdarkthirty,

You are 100% on the last part. Get hired somewhere, get in the pension system, and start learning. VERY few people get hired with their dream dept on the first shot. I started elsewhere in Fla before I landed at my current job (thanks to who ever posted that Osceola was hiring here, I never woulda known!), and I LOVE it here!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Not good. As a medic, and I think they still require you to have you medic, or get it within a certain period of time, you are gonna be stuck on the box. For years and years. They have no Driver position, and when you promote to Lt, guess where you go? Back to the box. There have been several Lts promoted without seeing much engine time, let alone any fire, other then standing outside, or so I have been informed.

They are turning a corner, they just (2 years or less) got Truck Co.s (41, 48, 82) and staff then like they should be (4). Pay is low, no Kelly Day, and the impression I got from doing my medic clinicals there, and taking medic with 30 or so BCFR guys, was most of them want NOTHING to do with EMS, and wanted off the Rescue forthwith.

BINGO
    Went to medic school with a bunch of Brevard guys. They seemed happy when talking about work so they must have had a good shift/crew.

Brevard is dying financially as well, you can't forget that.

Forum Member

A job is a job. Even if it takes running 2-3 men and deciding whether to take the engine or rescue to a call. Your still getting experience and doing what you love to do. I would be grateful for any opportunity that is given to me even if it is being on the rescue for years till getting an engine gig.

PPH
    Forum Member

According to the union contract they have online, they require you to get your medic within two years of finishing recruit school. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not being picky or anything...I'm definetly taking it and am excited about the opportunity. Getting a job offer here in FL is nothing to slouch at no matter where it is or what the pay. I'm gonna make the best of it regardless of what its like there or what others think of it. For all I know I'll love it there! Just looking to get a heads up on what I'm in for is all.

What's up guys? I work for Brevard County and have for the past 5 years. Can't complain really. As many others have said, a job is a job. Is there department's with more prestige out there? Sure. Is there departments that have really jam up guys that know there stuff? Absolutely. Is there departments out there that have lazy guys who don't like to do anything? You better believe it.

Basically, people can bad mouth any department, and they can also say what is good about them all. Face what the fire service is about Florida, medical calls 85% of the time. Soon enough everyone will have to be a medic. Does riding a rescue suck? Sometimes, but it puts food on the table.

The quicker that you realize that every department has the same problems, the better off you will be.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by PPH View Post
    According to the union contract they have online, they require you to get your medic within two years of finishing recruit school. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not being picky or anything...I'm definetly taking it and am excited about the opportunity. Getting a job offer here in FL is nothing to slouch at no matter where it is or what the pay. I'm gonna make the best of it regardless of what its like there or what others think of it. For all I know I'll love it there! Just looking to get a heads up on what I'm in for is all.
    If you get picked up, lemme know. I live here in Brevard, we are looking for new FOOLS members!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by SBoneMcGilicudy View Post
    What's up guys? I work for Brevard County and have for the past 5 years. Can't complain really. As many others have said, a job is a job. Is there department's with more prestige out there? Sure. Is there departments that have really jam up guys that know there stuff? Absolutely. Is there departments out there that have lazy guys who don't like to do anything? You better believe it.

Basically, people can bad mouth any department, and they can also say what is good about them all. Face what the fire service is about Florida, medical calls 85% of the time. Soon enough everyone will have to be a medic. Does riding a rescue suck? Sometimes, but it puts food on the table.

The quicker that you realize that every department has the same problems, the better off you will be.
    You speak the truth, Brother, but a lot has to do with the perception that your fellow members put forth. When they are in charge of precepting EMT and Medic students, and they don't put forth an effort, bad mouth their own dept, etc, it sets a bitter taste in mouths.
    I for one hope and pray that the crews at 63 WANT to be medics, and practice fireground skills often, since I am in their first due. I hope you guys get more Truck Co.s and more manning. I will be at every County Commission meeting and I will show up do help your Union convince the County and the citizens realize what is best.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Floater for life!!

(thanks to who ever posted that Osceola was hiring here, I never woulda known!), and I LOVE it here!
    Your Welcome

Forum Member

Does anyone know when they will be testing again?

Well, we just released a new hire group about a month ago, and we have 20 guys or so starting this upcoming week. I'm not sure if the list is exhausted, but if it is, I would imagine they will be making another around summertime.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFemt1991 View Post
    Does anyone know when they will be testing again?

Not for a while. They just hired a class and have a list compiled that they will pull off from for at least 1 more group.

PPH
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMCFF View Post
    Not for a while. They just hired a class and have a list compiled that they will pull off from for at least 1 more group.
    The current list expires in June 2012.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by e10pvmt View Post
    Your Welcome
    Toot...toot... that's the sound of your horn touch tizzle!

Floater for life!!

Quote Originally Posted by layinonair View Post
    Toot...toot... that's the sound of your horn touch tizzle!
    Shouldn't you be on baby duty right now. I am sure there is a diaper with your name on it
    42-B "The Night Train"

Forum Member

Default spring 2014 hiring

was told they're hiring 33. any idea how long they usually take to make their calls? I've heard 2-4 weeks

Thread Information