Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Looking for Narritive Help

I met with my chief lastnight to throw out some idea'son what to ask for in this years AFG. At this time 70% of our responding members turnout gear is 10+ yrs old. Also over the last 2 yrs we have been trying to buy new SCBA's, We have been replacing a couple at a time or as we can afford. Last year we bought 6 used bottles (5-6 yrs old) from a neighboring dept but this year we have 20 bottles needing replaced due to age with another 12 to be replaced in 2013 due to age. As of today we have only 4 "new" bottles, 6 newer used bottles and the rest of our 46 are either at that replacement age or just over. The cost to buy 20 new this year will take almost half of our yearly budget away from us that is needed for everything including fuel, apparatus maint. station's electric etc. Then if you follow it up with next years 12 needing replacement...again good chunk of our overall budget is gone.

So We would like to go for some new turnout Gear & Full SCBA's this year. Does anyone out there have and willing to share their narritive for either gear or SCBA's?

It is greatly appreciated. thanks & good luck to everyone out there on this years grant.

Forum Member

Guess No one has a winning 2010 narritive ?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not going to throw a narrative out there, but what I will do is give you some really great information. I have been in the fire service for five years now, and have been writing grants every year since.

I have had two off years so far.. That being my first year, and this recent year(fall) 2011.

The number one reason why almost everyone got turned down was because of either too new equipment(from what you are stating, this can not be the case).

The other reason is lack of training... This is probably the biggest mistake every department has. The training that you are required to do, is free, so no one can complain about the money.

It would be nice if you could put on your report that you have quite a few Firefighter certified people, but the main thing they are looking for is NIMS(National Incident Management System).

From what I know they usually like to see all firefighters have NIMS 700, 100, 200, and 800. Then try and have the Chief Officers have NIMS 300 & 400. You can do all of them online at www.fema.gov besides the 300 & 400 class which is a 2-day classroom course.

Good luck, and I hope this helped!
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Forum Member

Thanks. I wrote a AFG about 7 yrs ago. Last year I tried but failed to get the info needed from the higher ups, So this year will be my first in years. Like I stated all most all of our bottles/Packs need to be replaced in the next 2-3 yrs, starting with 20 after this year. Im incharge of the SCBA's and just finished our 6 month complete over haul of the SCBA's and some bottles date back to 1999 & 2000. Other then the 5 new bottles bought for our new Mini Pumper (4 bottles, 2 packs) the next newest bottles are 4 bought in 2004.We have 17 of our 19 responding members certified as FF1 and up, In order to ride you must have NIMS 100, 200, 700, SCBA Fit test, PPE class.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good, then as long as you write a good narrative that show the need, and make sure you stay consistent with NIMS training, then you should have a good shot.

Good luck!
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Forum Member

Thanks alot...

Thread Information