Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking to purchase pumper

My department just received our turndown letter on our AFG grant for which we were asking for a new pumper to relace a 41 year old truck. Due to the turndown, we feel that we will not be able to purchase a new truck. My question to you guys is do have any suggestions or know of a good place to search for a good, well-maintained truck around the 2003+ year range. Maybe one of you know of a truck that a dept has for sale that might not be listed. We prefer it to be a Pierce and with CAFS, to match our current primary apparatus, however that is not set in stone. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Daniel

Forum Member

Do you have a way to put out an email to the dept's within say, 100 miles of you? Just something to say you are looking? That way if anyone is getting ready to replace a truck they can keep you in mind. Other than that, search the web and used fire apparatus dealers. Let them know you are looking.

Forum Member

Daily dispatch through Western FIre Chiefs - most state Chiefs web sites also. Plus with feds downsizing fed surplus

Are you aware that you can lease a truck and pay on it up to 15 years? It's called a lease but at the end of the lease the truck is yours.

Forum Member

We were looking to go with a used truck until we started looking at prices. What we've found is that most of the used truck in the 2005 and up range are loaded up with fancy bells and whistles and the asking prices on them are the same as what a new one would cost. Sure, you can't put lots of fancy stuff on a new one to get that low price, but we don't need fancy in our dept. I would see if there are any Demo trucks or price out a new one that has only what you need, not lots of fancy extras.

MembersZone Subscriber

Will trucks built by other manufacturers fight fire in your dept. or is pierce the only brand that will work? What is the budget you are looking at?

Forum Member

What dollar amount do you have set aside? Contact your state fire marshals office and see if they may be able to put you in touch with another agency that has a surplus truck. What is wrong with the truck needing replaced? Check ebay and other online sources for used trucks. A decent truck will be around $40,000 thousand dollars.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFire View Post
    What dollar amount do you have set aside? Contact your state fire marshals office and see if they may be able to put you in touch with another agency that has a surplus truck. What is wrong with the truck needing replaced? Check ebay and other online sources for used trucks. A decent truck will be around $40,000 thousand dollars.
    Please tell me where to find a 2003 or newer Class A Engine for $40,000.

To the OP, did you decide what route you are going?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF715MRFD View Post
    Please tell me where to find a 2003 or newer Class A Engine for $40,000.

To the OP, did you decide what route you are going?
    I did not say a 2000 or newer truck could be had for 40K. There is some refurbished units from the mid 80's to late 90's that can be had for 40-50k. I think that from what the op stated a 90's vintage apparatus may be the best choice for limited dollars. The new apparatus is most likely going to be to much money with out a grant.

Thread Information