MembersZone Subscriber

Default Regional Grant Questions

Considering writing my first regional grant for the next AFG cycle and I have some questions.

What happens if we receive a grant and then one of the participating agencies decides to drop out? Are we on the hook for their part of the grant (and the match) or can we turn that money back in to the feds?

When purchasing equipment, does each agency make their own purchase or does everything get funneled through the host? If the later, am I correct to assume each agency would pay their match to the host who would then purchase the equipment and distribute it.

I understand the we need MOUs to spell out the details, but does anyone have some best practices on how to handle reporting, equipment accountability and audits? I have never administered a successful AFG grant so I am starting at square one with this part. I assume its a pain when the equipment belongs to your own agency. It must get worst when it is spread out among many.

In case it matters, we are thinking about a regional water supply/hose/extinguisher grant. It would replace hose, nozzles, appliances, couplings and extinguishers as needed for age or wear. It will also have the goal of increasing interoperability by standardizing water supply within the county. If we can't agree on a singe type and size of supply line (we have one department that loves their 3" supply lines) we will at least make sure everyone has the appliances necessary to work together. We may also replace portable tanks as needed.

Thanks for any help you can give me. If you need more information please let me know!

Forum Member

I have hosted a successful regional grant and the host will receive the funds and make the purchase, remember that the total population of the region will be taken into account for the match, my department is a 5% match, but when we went regional the census bumped us up to 20%. All of the other agencies were assessed the match based on the cost of their portion of the equipment. We have not been audited for this grant, but I have been audited for a vehicle grant and an equipment grant and it was interesting to note that the auditors were more concerned with the record keeping and receipts, they did not even want to look at what was purchased. The host of a regional is also responsible for the record keeping. you also need to be careful that the regional amount combined with your local department grant amounts do not add up to more than the AFG grant threshold per dept. Good luck

Forum Member

As far as an agency dropping out, you can return the money or talk to the program office for guidance or request a revision.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Lump532, good to see soemone form my old stomping ground in mile high ( go Tebo)! You are asking a lot of great questions here but most of them are more complicated ot answer than a simple "yes or no" and have many "what if's" attched to them. It woudl take a small novlla in here to cover all of that. I have develkoped and manged quite a few of these in last 5-6 years and if you care to give me a shout and I can fill you in on some of the pros/cons and ptofalls to watch out for. I ma availabel almost anytime 7-7EST seven days a week. 863-551-9598.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information