Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default What do you guys with glasses/contacts do when you respond at night?

I always have contacts on during the day so it is not a problem, however they come off at night and i usually wear my glasses. What i usually do on less serious calls which require me to mask up is just wear my glasses under my mask. I always figured for structure fires i would just toss the glasses because i'm not going to be seeing to much in the first place and don't want a leaky mask. How do you guys approach this issue?

MembersZone Subscriber

Air Optix Night & Day are made to be worn for 30 days. I have been wearing contact lenses for 23 years and was never very good at remembering to take them out each night. I would go for a few weeks until they burned and I would finally remember. The current set of the previously mentioned contacts I have had in for about 75 days. Probably not the best and my doctor doesnt recommend it, but he says it is not as much of an issue as it used to be as these contacts can "breathe".

The other alternative is to get glasses brackets for inside your mask.

You shouldn't be wearing your regular eyeglasses under your mask -- the temple pieces compromise the seal and are not allowed under both OSHA regulations and SCBA manufacturers' recommendations.

The best solution is to try lenses that you can wear 24/7 but not everyone tolerates them. Otherwise, you need an alternative to allow you to legally wear corrective lenses inside your SCBA mask.

Eyeglass lens mounting kits are available from all of the major SCBA manufacturers to mount a set of corrective lenses inside your mask. The mounting kits and lenses must be supplied (i.e. paid for) by your employer (the FD) if you are in an OSHA state. (They may have to supply them in some non-OSHA states but that would be a state my state thing...)
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Why not just take a minute to wash your hands and put your contacts in? Thats what I do for night calls and I'm still able to beat a lot of guys to the station.

Forum Member

I second the vote on the Air Optix. I wear them and although I take them out every couple weeks for the night most of the time they're in 24/7. If I do get a call on a night when I'm not wearing them I take a minute and put them in.

Why, if you are going into a scenario where you need to mask up would you risk doing so in a manner that is less than optimal.

I always wore my glasses until I needed to put on a mask. Then I took the glasses off and put them in a glasses holder and in my shirt pocket or in the cab of the apparatus. Most of the time in my shirt pocket.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

In my volunteer department, we are in the process of buying every interior firefighter their own properly fitting SCBA mask. For those that wear glasses, we are providing the kit to mount inside the mask and it is up to the firefighter to get their own lenses. We have a local optician that is giving us a break on the cost of the lenses, should the member choose to go there.
    We felt this was the best approach to insure a proper fitting mask, because not every one can wear a medium mask.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Forum Member

I was given a glasses mounting kit by our department, and my optician cut the lenses from my old glasses to fit for $10.00. Pretty cheap for the proper solution. As noted, you can't see much inside at a night fire, glasses or no glasses, but I'm so nearsighted I need the glasses to find the entry point-or else follow the hose in like a disoriented firefighter drill run backwwards.

The Sperian BAs we have use the Altek spectacle kit; the Altek lens frame has a headband so you can wear it out of the mask. I pull those glasses on when I suit up at the station, then shove them into the mask when I need it.
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I always wore my glasses until I needed to put on a mask. Then I took the glasses off and put them in a glasses holder and in my shirt pocket or in the cab of the apparatus. Most of the time in my shirt pocket.
    This is what I always did and still do.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEMVFD View Post
    This is what I always did and still do.
    About as simple as one can do, eh?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by DubyaVFF View Post
    The Sperian BAs we have use the Altek spectacle kit; the Altek lens frame has a headband so you can wear it out of the mask. I pull those glasses on when I suit up at the station, then shove them into the mask when I need it.
    I dont know about Canada, but here in the states Federal regulations specifically prevent any penetrations of the face seal, including rubber straps from various spec kits, even the ones that were previously (as in no longer) in use by the US Military with M40 chemical/bio masks.

FWIW my mask had manufacturer-specific lens kits, I simply took off my glasses and put them into a hard case, and left them inside the rig. Sure you cant see when smoke is thick, but it is nice to be able to see during overhaul, or during a car fire, haz mat incident, etc etc.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default Glasses

I wear glasses, no-contacts. Never could quite get past sticking a piece of plastic in my eye.

Our SCBA manufactuer (and others) make lens inserts for my mask. I have a crushproof, fireproof, waterproof glasses container that sits in my bunker pants pocket with my bailout kit. If I have to mask up, I just pop the glasses in there, and put my mask on, no problems. Takes me about 10 seconds longer to mask up then a non-glasses wearing brother, but then again, I practice reguarly (to their amusement), and can still beat most of the department anyways.

I don't worry about my glasses getting broken, as I keep my old pair at the firehouse and try to switch them before I get on a truck. If I don't, no big deal. If my case gets smashed/destroyed to the point my glasses get broken, I have much better things to worry about (like if my femur is still intact).

Forum Member

If its a structure fire I take time to put in my contacts, if its a grass fire, mva or something of that nature I just wear glasses

I dont know about Canada, but here in the states Federal regulations specifically prevent any penetrations of the face seal, including rubber straps from various spec kits, even the ones that were previously (as in no longer) in use by the US Military with M40 chemical/bio masks.
    The headband comes off my head and the frame snaps into my facepiece when I'm using the glasses in the facepiece.

Google "Sperian NexSpex" or "Altek specs".
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

I used to take my glasses off when donning my mask and leave them hanging in the truck. But now as I've gotten older I had to get bifocals (hurl) so I'm going to look at this kit, but the issue I'm running into is on a fire ground, when no mask is needed and I can't see. One time I went back to the truck to get my glasses. I didn't want to trip over something.

I've had the same problem, because I am basically blind without my glasses/contacts. When I would sleep in, I ended up just wearing my glasses until I needed my mask, but that obviously means that I can't see when I have my mask on.

Currently investing in these. Best part is, my department will buy them for me. You should find out if yours will.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=6962
    :-J Remmy

Until then, just running blind
    Last edited by Jay Remmy; 01-31-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    :-J Remmy

Forum Member

i'll look into the ones built into the mask since in two of my departments we have our own masks. do they snap in/out easily? eyes are too sensitive for leave-in contacts.

Forum Member

Air Optix. I still take mine out at night, but if I'm at the station it's nice knowing I can just leave them in.

Thread Information