Forum Member

Default Fire Instructor I class questions

I am planning to take the fire Instructor I class and was curious if anyone had any information on what the class and test were like? Do I need to teach so many hours to obtain my certification after I take the class or do I teach a short lesson during the class?

Just looking for what to expect going into it. Haven't been able to find much on the net that pertains to Iowa.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Our curriculum in Virginia requires the student to give multiple presentations during the class, each presentation building upon the previous. Once the Instructor I candidate has successfully completed the classroom portion, they're then required to do 16 hours of student instruction under another seasoned instructor, who then either does or doesn't recommend that the candidate be approved as an instructor.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mach158 View Post
    I am planning to take the fire Instructor I class and was curious if anyone had any information on what the class and test were like? Do I need to teach so many hours to obtain my certification after I take the class or do I teach a short lesson during the class?

Just looking for what to expect going into it. Haven't been able to find much on the net that pertains to Iowa.

Have you checked here??

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/fm/fstb/

May be a phone number listed to call and speak with them.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I already checked the website but haven't called anybody. Thought I would see if anyone knew anything here first.

Forum Member

I am certified Instructor I in Iowa (IFSAC recognized certification). Completed my certification hours last fall after taking the class in the spring. The class is typically four days long, 8 hour days. You will be doing a progressive series of presentations, from just a quick introduction of yourself and a partner to a 15 minute presentation on a prescribed fire service training topic from the FF I manual.

Be prepared for some homework and be prepared to use some technology (laptop, digital projectors, overhead transparency projectors, etc). I did it over a 2 weekend back to back period and spent the evenings between classes preparing for the next day. There is also a written exam based on the class content, which does not get covered at great length due the short format of the class- be prepared to do significant study on your own.

You are rated on your presentations and must have successful evaluations before taking the written test. Written was like the FF I and FF II exams, 150 questions if I remember correctly.

Once you are passed the class itself and have taken the exam, you still need to teach for 20 hours under a supervising instructor (certified Instructor I) and have him or her sign off on the time. There is a teaching log/signoff sheet included with the Instructor I packet from the IFSTB. When you get your hours in, send the sheet off to IFSTB and request that they process your certification.

Good luck with your certification, it is a worth while experience. I know it has been helpful for my small volunteer dept to have an additional certified instructor on hand(total of 3 now). PM me if you want any more info.

Forum Member

Looks like my only problem may be from trying to get the 20 hours under a supervising instructor. Our deptartment does not have any instructors which is why I am looking to get the certification. I'll see if I can't recruit something up with the local community college or neighboring departments but they are limited as well on instructors.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by mach158; 01-30-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Thread Information