Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    Our Chief is selected by our city manager and voted on by city council. Officer positions are posted as they become available and a written test followed by an oral interview conducted with officers from surrounding departments by all candidates who meet a minimum criteria. Total of written versus oral and highest score gets it.
    Is your department volunteer or combination or career?

Volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer534 View Post
    Is your department volunteer or combination or career?

Forum Member

I believe my department use to vote on officers, but since I have been on, the chief has appointed the officers. Funny thing is the first meeting this year the chief walked in and said "This is my 20th year, I'm through," then the 1st Assistant said "Have we been here that long? Well then, me too." So as 2nd Assistant Chief, I became chief by default. I asked for nominees for the vacant positions, but got silence. So I appointed them by the number of fires worked first, training second and my faith in them to make a decision third. So far everyone has been pleased with their positions and we havn't missed a beat.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    Volunteer.
    I congratulate you and your department. Sounds like a great process that would go a long way to finding the best leaders in your department.

MembersZone Subscriber

On the Department I use to be on it was voted on by the membership; meaning your name was brought up seconded and then a ballot vote would occur, this happened for the Chiefs, Asst. Chiefs, Capts and Lts. Those names would then be brought in front of the public on village meeting day and voted on always would be approved. The other Department in town (The Town and Village use to be separate entitys, yet the Village was "part" of the town so there was 2 fire departments) before we merged the chief was appointed by the Town manager and then the Chief appoints his officers. When we finally merged the Chief was picked by the town manager. and then the chief choose his officers.

My current dept the chief is appointed by the Town Manager and the Chief through an application process appoints the Asst Chiefs, Capts and Lt. The association votes for President, V. President, Secretary and Treasurer.

Forum Member

Every line officer and civil position in my dept is by vote and subject to approval by the commission. The term of office is 1 year however the tradition is to serve 2 terms in each position. For line officers, you start at the lowest Lt. and move up every 2 years. Just to get to 2nd asst. Chief takes 8 years of officer experience. To be eligible to run for an officer you must meet certain qualifications. This has worked out well for us. The department is large enough that no one clique is large enough to cram their buddies into office. And for the most part everyone takes it seriously enough to put aside personal issues and vote for who they feel is the most qualified individual.

All of our elected officers (firematic officers and administrative officers) have some type of minimal qualifications (i.e. training and length of service). If anyone meets these qualifications, they can run for an elected office by either putting their name on the "slate of candidates" or running from the floor. We also have 2-3 positions appointed by the chief (engineer, safety officer, fire police captain) that also have some minimal qualifications. Long story short, if you meet the quals, you can run for office. If anyone wants a copy of our bylaws, PM me.

Skojo

Forum Member

My organization is VERY small when compared to most:
    3 Fire Commissioners are voted in by the public,
    they then hire the Fire Chief,
    who hires and promotes everyone else; secretary, AC, DC, BC, FFs......

Promotions aren't always earned, but sometimes they are well overdue. In the end, it all comes down to the Fire Chief. Someone earlier said if there is bad blood amoung line officers it trickles down....I agree! But for an organization with 3 full-time Chiefs and 1 full-time Firefighter what did you expect???

Thread Information