Forum Member

Exclamation Cranston Fire Department 2011 Application Process

Test was in December and the written score letters were sent out today. I got my letter today saying i scored in the top 10. How did everyone else do ?

They have not hired since 2008 and hopefully they put together a class ! but i heard they pick who they want no matter the score hopefully that isnt true cause it says they will interview everyone until they find a suitable candidate for a vacancy and knowing the state of Rhode Island i hope this isnt the case here.

Warwick Fire is supposedly hiring a bunch of guys and Cranston will skip you if you dont have your Cardiac License in hand when they call so hopefully that helps guys who have their C card.

How did everyone else do ? and does anyone have any information on the rest of the process !

Good Luck !

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure where you heard that they will pick anyone but they are wrong. Will they skip you if you don't have a C, yup, says it when you apply. Rumor has it that a law suit is upcoming over the written test, so I wouldn't expect any hiring any time soon. I guess the test wasn't what they said it was going to be and judging from what some guys have told me about the questions, I don't know how there was a right or wrong answer. I was told one question was something like, a cowboy is sitting on a fence, playing the guitar, what is he thinking? How the hell do you answer that?
    I think they have scheduled the swim test. There is usually a ladder climb and SCBA type maze to test for claustrophobia. There has been talk of possibly hiring some time in the summer but that was before the suit. We are short like 30 guys right now but have agreed to not fill 17 so that puts us 13 down. If they really to mess with the guys in the municipal pension system, that number could easily double or triple by next year. If you don't have your cardiac you better work on it and fast.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info ! .... I heard about the lawsuit through a couple guys on the job and think its a joke. The test was just like it was back in 2008. i know alot of guys who passed it including myself and i know alot of guys who failed it. Rumor about the lawsuit was the guy who failed it has a family member who is a lawyer who is challenging it. the only thing that got me and a couple other guys was the fact we had to sign a form saying if we took the same test in the past 12 months then our old score would be carried over to the cranston test and the score you got in cranston would be void. I did not sign it cause i thought it wasnt fair.

But yes i do have my cardiac license and all my other certs. i was on a department before and was able to obtain everything.

I also know of a couple guys wanting to file a lawsuit if a couple guys on the top 5 of the list get hired cause they only have their basic licenses but have relatives on. I honestly think its a shame with all these lawsuit happy people.

I have my swim test this week coming up so hopefully these lawsuits get thrown out and the guys who deserve a shot get the chance. I have been testing for 7 years and cant wait !

MembersZone Subscriber

Did you get hired?

Cranston just received their Safer Grant to hire 20 guys. Hopefully an academy is started soon and 20 eager and lucky men join the ranks of the greatest job on Earth!

Forum Member

have they hired off the new list or are these 20 going to be the first hired off of it?

Thread Information