Forum Member

Default Boston Mass 2012

Hey, saw the announcement on 911hotjobs.com...

http://911hotjobs.com/find-a-job/sho...id=14446&page=

That is the link, just wondering if anyone had any insight...did a search for it and not too much information came up..

MembersZone Subscriber

my question about the way they do their residency is; it states that boston residents will be placed ahead of non residents, is that overall like if someone scores a 75 and i score a 95 but they're from boston and im not they will be placed ahead of me? or is it if i score a 95 and they score a 95 then they are placed over me because of residency?
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

See this:

http://www.cityofboston.gov/fire/employment/

City of Boston Qualifications At The Time of The Test

You must be at least nineteen (19) years of age at the time of the application deadline and be younger than thirty-two (32) at date of the exam.

You must be a resident of the City of Boston at least one (1) year prior to the examination date to qualify for residency preference. Applicants who have resided in the City of Boston for an entire twelve month period immediately preceding the date of examination are entitled to be placed on the eligible list for Boston ahead of any non-residents.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah thats what my question derived from
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKiefer View Post
    yeah thats what my question derived from

That is what is says. If you are a resident they get preference over non residence. It is the way is has been for years, has been challenged and it still is set in stone hard and fast.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    That is what is says. If you are a resident they get preference over non residence. It is the way is has been for years, has been challenged and it still is set in stone hard and fast.
    Also in Mass any dept covered under Civil Service including Boston, city residents who are also Veterans go to the top of the list over non vet residents regardless if they score 100 or a 70.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=bbell1977;1315917]Also in Mass any dept covered under Civil Service including Boston, city residents who are also Veterans go to the top of the list over non vet residents regardless if they score 100 or a 70.[/QUOTE

what about out of state veterans? does Mass. particularly the Bostone FD accept proboard certs? Just wondering because I have the Fire 1,2 and emt already.

MembersZone Subscriber

what about out of state veterans? does Mass. particularly the Bostone FD accept proboard certs? Just wondering because I have the Fire 1,2 and emt already.[/QUOTE]

It goes like this for all depts under civil service including Boston. Resident Vets go first, then residents, then non resident vets, then non residents. That said some depts like Boston can hire what they need. For example last year they hired 9 guys based on the fact they were fluent in spanish but usually it goes as stated above. Also you have to be under 32 years of age for Boston and it doesn't matter what certs you have as they will want to send you through their academy.

Forum Member

I assumed they put you through an academy, it just says that they require fire 1,2, and emt-b.

does anyone know if there is a need? how many people tested last time? I mean, I don't mind spending the money at all..I just want to know what I'm getting myself into.

MembersZone Subscriber

does anyone know if there is a need? how many people tested last time? I mean, I don't mind spending the money at all..I just want to know what I'm getting myself into.[/QUOTE]

If you are not a vet or resident of a city you are applying in for at least a year it isn't worth the 200.00 bucks to take it. I am not a vet but am a resident of a city call Medford. Got a 99 last time and am # 5o something on a list that will only hire 7 FF's between 2012 and 2013. I have my EMT but it means nothing as they do not run their own ambulance. Boston also has another division for EMS that is separate from BFD.

Forum Member

out of state vet here

Forum Member

If you don't live in Boston don't bother. 402A- Dvets, Vets, Residents, non- resident vet then non residents. That's the order they pick in. I'm on the current list in Boston as a resident and am 269 on the list scoring a 98%. The are known to only put on at the most maybe 2 classes per test. You don't need the ff1 or 2 going in. The emt doesn't really mean **** in Boston again if your not a vet or live there. Other small towns in Mass will take a Emt or Vet over a resident, just beacuse easier on the budget. Trust me if you dont live in Boston dont waste your pic. I moved out and im ****ed with where I live now

Forum Member

Yup. Unless you are a Boston resident you are wasting your time and money. The only non residents they will hire are lay offs from other Mass towns, because that's a state law. Residency is a law in Boston, so even if all the residents get hired off the list (will never happen) the city still won't hire non residents.

The test is a statewide test, so one should look into other cities and towns before giving up.

Thread Information