Forum Member

Default Smoke detectors for community outreach/fire prevention

I have been trying to get some information on how the departments go about getting grants by the insurance companies to receive smoke detectors for community outreach for fire prevention. I have tried finding some stuff on the internet but am finding only a lot of success stories in forums but nothing much from the companies themselves.

I have heard that some departments have done this in the past locally here, but nobody wants to let us know who to contact. Any help or guidance would be great. We are an all volunteer company in eastern GA.

Thank you

Steve

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slicwinko View Post
    I have been trying to get some information on how the departments go about getting grants by the insurance companies to receive smoke detectors for community outreach for fire prevention. I have tried finding some stuff on the internet but am finding only a lot of success stories in forums but nothing much from the companies themselves.

I have heard that some departments have done this in the past locally here, but nobody wants to let us know who to contact. Any help or guidance would be great. We are an all volunteer company in eastern GA.

Thank you

Steve
    Here in the Philly area, the Channel 6 news (the local ABC Affiliate) has a thing called "Operation 6 Save a Life." They give out CASES of free smoke detectors to local fire departments once a year. Maybe it might be worth your time to contact your own ABC affiliate to see if they do something similar? Just a suggestion.......

-Maybe contact local home supply stores (Lowes/Home Depot?) see if they will donate some in return for recognition??? Same goes for Wal Mart or Target? Anyone that sells SD's....

-How about local politicians? See if your state reps have any "walking around money" they would be willing to issue to you as a grant to purchase SD's??????

-Any large corporations in your first due?? Maybe they would grant some money??????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Like I said....Home Depot......Go to this link, read the information.....maybe Home Depot or Kidde would be willing to expand the program to your area if it doesnt already exist there??? Maybe approach your local ABC affiliate and tell them what Ch 6 in Philly is doing, who knows, maybe they'll do it there??? GOOD LUCK!!!!

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/feature?...nts&id=5878376
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thank you I am going to look into it.

Forum Member

Contact your local tv station(s) and get them involved. Here in Berks County PA we got involved with another station who ran their own Operation Save a Life and we got cases of detectors to give out. Show them the link to Channel 6. They should love the good PR they'll get out of it.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Also contact some of the civil clubs in your area, like lions , woman's, etc

Bigger businesses

For donations

High school clubs looking to do civil projects

Eagle scout looking for a project

Check firehouse sub web site , and contact one if there is one in your area

Churches

Also, if you have meals on wheels they were giving out smoke alarms

Also check with red cross

Forum Member

Yeah I hear ya. Thank you all for your responses. I am from Montgomery county pa originally and this sparked my interest as I remember this vaguely from when I was up there. I really do think that this area would benefit from this. There is a lot of low income housing and an abundance of mobile/modular homes as well.

Forum Member

State Farm has a grant program. Simply contact your local agent or go right to their website.

I beleive that Allstate has given money to some fire departments for smoke detectors in the past as well.

As other posters have stated, there are many local community service groups that can help you fund this program, and in the past, I have used several of them.

Also contact your state fire marshal as they may have experience in this area, or may even have a program to help you fund them or purchase them at a very low cost. In our area, Home depot sells them to me at their cost.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

I will be looking into your ideas as well LaFireEducator. Thank you for your response.

Thread Information