Forum Member

Default Need help with knee brace options post ACL surgery

Hey everyone out there!!! I'm in need of any help (suggestions welcome even if you don't have firsthand experience) that I can get in regards to knee brace options post-acl reconstruction.

I was recently burned while making an interior attack on a fire because my donjoy knee brace heated up on me while inside on the nozzle. My surgeon wants me to wear it for at least a year post surgery but obviously it's not made for that kind of condition.

This is a line of duty injury and all work comp related so time is of the essence as well educated decisions.

Anyone out there have a brace that works for them? Material? Similar situations? Solutions?

Huge thank you!!!

Forum Member

I not sure I have alot to offer, but I think you do. We have a Captain who has just had the same surgery. As you are further along in the recovery I would like to ask you some questions. First you was wearing bunkers correct? Did the brace make that pant leg fit tight? I'm thinking that if that is so there would have been some rapid heat transfer to the brace. What other things have you had trouble with? Limitations? Thanks.

Forum Member

If you are wearing a brace 24/7 or even while you are awake, and it was an on duty injury, then you aren't fit for active fire duty in a company.

However you may be put on light/restricted duty in an office somewhere.

I've had both knees injured on the job. I was off for about 3 months for each one, on light/restricted t duty
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    I not sure I have alot to offer, but I think you do. We have a Captain who has just had the same surgery. As you are further along in the recovery I would like to ask you some questions. First you was wearing bunkers correct? Did the brace make that pant leg fit tight? I'm thinking that if that is so there would have been some rapid heat transfer to the brace. What other things have you had trouble with? Limitations? Thanks.
    Yea I was in turnouts and my brace fits w no issues under my drops. I do however agree that it seemed to heat up on me which is my concern.

The only other issue I had was getting used to crawling around on it but that didn't take long.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    If you are wearing a brace 24/7 or even while you are awake, and it was an on duty injury, then you aren't fit for active fire duty in a company.

However you may be put on light/restricted duty in an office somewhere.

I've had both knees injured on the job. I was off for about 3 months for each one, on light/restricted t duty

While I appreciate your reply it doesn't reply at all to my original post. I'm sure my surgeon, department, physical therapist, and even myself are quite capable of determining if I'm fit for duty. If you have any experience w braces please feel free to share.

Thread Information