Forum Member

Default N.E. Ohio Upcoming Fire Tests

Anyone know anything if Solon, University Heights, or Parma Heights are hiring? All are having upcoming test and just wanted some feeling on who is testing and what not?

Forum Member

Fire chief of solon was a teacher of mine last semester he never mentioned an upcoming test. But he did mention that he wanted to bring on a couple more guys, but they have a list already i believe he will pull from. Not sure on the others

Forum Member

You could always call the the HR department of those cities. Sometimes they know. In my opinion you should take as many tests as you can. You never know what could happen.

Forum Member

It's hit or miss with calling. Most of the times I've called I've got the "were unsure of how many positions, if any will be filled from this list but the list is good for x number of year(s)."

It'd be nice if it was posted someplace...at least a range for something.

Forum Member

If you're truly interested in becoming a FF in NE OH with all the competition you must take every test regardless of whether they are hiring or not. Every test you should be remembering a few questions to look up after you get home, right them down and after a few tests you will have a lot of questions you already know. Also let me remind you that these tests are good for 1-2 years (most 2 yrs) in that 2 years you never know what will happen in these departments. Guys can go out on unexpected medical retirement, some guys plan on retiring next year however haven't told the city yet, some just walk into work and have had enough and retire or quit right than (that does happen). So yes they may not hire in the 2 yrs but you get experience from taking their test, or something comes up and they do hire. These cities are constantly going back and forth hiring, not hiring, hiring, not hiring. You want to be on that list when they do hire. Take every test!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Yeah man I understand taking every test and all but I don't want to feel like I'm just blowing 25 or 30 bucks just to "get on a list". I'm well aware that the more tests you take the better your odds are but I want to better my chances of getting hired someplace by testing for a FD that is going to hire and not just create a list. I am in the top 5 now for a suburban Cleveland FD and it sounds like this year it'll happen so it's a waiting game and of course like everything nothing it set in stone until I start my first day at the FD but from talking to the guys currently on the FD that I see at work, they have at least 3 to retire with the DROP program this year. Again I just want to try and increase my chances of getting on someplace.

And as a side note...I heard Solon filled their 100 applications cap iin one day.

Forum Member

It sucks testing and playing the waiting game, but unfortunately that's how it works. OHfirestopper gave an excellent reason of why you should take every test. Some guys get lucky and get hired after only a few tests. But a lot of guys I know have taken many tests before getting hired. You just have to hang in there and keep testing. On a side note what you heard about Solon was incorrect. That's why it's important to call the respective cities HR department. I know sometimes they don't tell you what you want to hear but they would have basic info about the # of applicants, etc. Good luck.

Forum Member

Oh trust me I'm one of those guys. I've taken upwards of 20-25 tests over the past two years and finally got high enough and found a dept that has DROP retirements this year, so trust me I know the process all too well. As I said, I just wanted to see if there was any talk about any of these fire departments and if they'll be hiring soon. I spoke with one of the University Heights guys at work and he said that he didn't think they'd be hiring but they are applying for a SAFER grant and could get some more guys if they get that.

Again, I'm not against testing anywhere and everywhe possible but it's just nice to hear if what all your going through may pay out in the end. As I have heard this before, the whole civil service process, especially in NE Ohio is like winning the lottery. The more times you play, the better your chance of winning and as we all know with these tests they give, which everyone seems to be a different format, it is like playing the lottery. Only difference is there is a little skill and knowledge involved.

And for Solon, one of the guys I work with told me that. He's good friends with a Solon firefighter who gave him that info but as with everything involving info, it's more than likely wrong.

Forum Member

I have "heard" Parma Heights will be hiring. But I don't work there so I don't know for sure. Sometimes firefighters know the least about the possible hiring of their department. I know that's true for where I work. I know 25 tests seems like a lot but that's about the average for most guys in NE Ohio. A good friend of mine just hired off of his 71st test. I know you're frustration. I have been there before. Good luck and keep trying.

Forum Member

they WILL be giving a test. I am looking at the announcement in the paper right now.

Thread Information