Thread: Florida FD's

Forum Member

Default Florida FD's

Hello everyone looking to move to Florida from the North east. I'm a State of CT Firefighter/Paramedic. I obtained all my certs on my own and through career development. (No Recruit Academy) I was lucky to get hired on a career FD without going to the academy which is not normal for CT. I'm attempting to track my training records to apply for recripocity of FL minimum standards. My question is are there any departments that will hire Single Cert FL Paramedic's? I don't want to leave a golden ticket job just to go back to sitting on a street corner in a blow wagon. Hopefully the Florida Brother and Sisters could help me out.

Forum Member

You usually have to be both a firefighter and a paramedic. There is a lot of competition in Florida and if i am understanding correctly you are asking if paramedics alone are hired. Usually the paramedics alone are hired by private ambulances or in areas were EMS and Fire are separate. Depending on the area in which you plan to move to will determine if it might be possible. If all else fails the academy is about 13 weeks but getting a job is definitely tough and might not be worth it if your already settled down.

Forum Member

I understand that you have to go through minimum standards. I understand that there are a lot of lay offs and people going out for these jobs. Its the same up here. Study hard and prepare well in advance to achieve your goals.
    So long story short a friend of mine from up here retired as a captain and got hired in The Villages with only his State of FL paramedic card, he may have gotten recriprocity for FF1, but he indeed had to go back for FF2. Now 4 years later he's a lieutenant and yada yada yada. Another example would be the city of groveland fire rescue, very small, is current creating a list and it clearly state's will consider single cert paramedic's with completion of minimum standards with in 1 year of employment.
    So my question again is: What other departments will consider single cert paramedic's?
    Sorry if i was mis understood.

MembersZone Subscriber

From my experiences with Florida, I've found that you have to have both Florida Firefighter 1 or 2 certification and Florida EMT or EMTP prior to submitting applications with any dept in the state. Florida is their own animal and they to not accept NREMT and they do not accept IFSAC or PROBOARD certs. They will review your training transcript, if your training provided will fill out the FL paperwork. Your hours must match theirs and most don't, because Florida gives training hours for tests, PT, etc. Most places do not give credit hours for those things. As for the EMT, you can challenge the tests, but here again, you must have all of this prior to applying. I've applied at several departments in FL and I have every certification that you can get except EMT-P, I'm a EMT-B and I get the same answer each time. You must have FL certifications to move on in the process.

Thread Information