Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Having been a lifelong smart*****, I know you're joking of course, but the idea is that you have a plan for how many you're going to recruit since you talked to some of the people that haven't joined and are addressing those issues in this application so that they will join after you're funded... cough, cough...

Forum Member

Yeah, because somehow I can use SAFER funds to make all of the able-bodied people in my District work less, have fewer family commitments, have less stress, and more free time to commit to volunteer work.

Forum Member

Anyone know if you have to buy a sign from a company or a pre-made sign or can you ask for founding to build your own? Also can you ask for funds to cover reahabing your stations older sign?

Wheel: You can ask for anything : What will get funded is something that will convince the reviewers that it will help you increase staffing on calls to make your department more closely meet the standards.
    Some ideas that have been funded in the past:
    scholarship funding for collage education of responding members or their children..
    Advertising in local newspapers for new members
    production of Advertising flyers for recruiting & postage for mailing.
    Monthly recruitment ads in town newspaper.
    Funding to support a junior FF program at local trade school aimed at gaining new YOUNG members.
    A recruitment billboard at the local little league field or high school stadium.
    You also need to address how your dept will continue to fund these operations into the future after the grant money runs out. Which I feel is where many don't get the points.

Forum Member

Our problem is we don't have any schools in our 1st due, No companies & businesses, no incorporated towns, just scattered poverty stricken area. We have been shut down once before due to not having the funds to operate. The cost to start and operate any recruitment project will cost more then we can afford or fund after the award runs out, if lucky we maybe able to find up to a couple hundred dollars to fund this project for maybe a year but unless things in our community change, our funding will continue to drop. Right now with our current budget by the time we pay our bills, we will be lucky to have a 1,000dollars left to cover unexpected cost. That’s not much to fund a couole thousand dollar recruitment & retention program.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelmanEngCo11 View Post
    unless things in our community change, our funding will continue to drop. .
    WheelmanEngCo11, not saying this to be negative but, your problem will never be solved by this grant. The problem here is not your department, it is just as you said above, a community that refuses to recognize that they cannot get something for nothing!I woud dare say that in yoru community as in many others across the US that you would have absolutley no problem walking into just about any home there and finding some "technological gizmo"; an iPad, an Android phone, a laptop rf XBox or Wii system which when asked, every one of them would probablay say is a neccessity to them. However, do they ever stop to think that for the cost of just one of those items, they can prevent themselves from being burned out or from having a loved one die needlessly in a fire? No they don't and until our communities start to prioritize exactly what it is in their lives that truly is important you and many of us will continue to struggle to keep your doors open and fire trucks moving.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Kurt, Not gonna fight you on that one. Im new to this dept, been here just about a year. The Chief brough this at me 2 weeks ago and said here work on this grant.... Theres a good group of responding members trying to make a change, but we don't have the numbers on the responding side to match the numbers of Admin/Fund raising members, So when things come up for a vote we (Responding members) Lose. The chief is a new chief (been a member for 16-17 yrs) and see's that we need change, but the older members holding the higher up positions didn't want to change or keep up with the changing times, So now we are held with needing new equipment, new apparatus, new gear, new members at the sametime all while the funding coming in is less then in years past. We got our work cut out for us. We are not gonna let any grant oppertunity pass us by, Like stated before the SAFER is the hardest grant to do and like I said didn't have much time to put much thought into it and do the months of background work to do it. I have experience with the AFG, but not the SAFER, So its a learning experience.

Secondly we only have 23% of our community donation or attending our fund raisers, This is a drop from 57% in just 2 year. Many of the homes in our area have as many as 3-4 familys living in them, 70% of our area is below the poverty level, many are jobless and on goverment assist. The other 30% are struggling farmers and barely making it blue collar workers, gas here just hit $4.00 per gal. Then there is the other neighborhood we protect (Estimated 16 homes) that are multi million $ homes. The up scale neighborhood accounts for only 1% of our donations/fund raising, It the struggling community members that donate and support us, but if it comes to dinner on the table that night or support us, Well the FH loses. I came from a welloff dept were $ was no problem, But Im also not a stranger to working at a dept were there is no $, Im up for the challenge...If not I wouldn't have excepted to do this grant. Just trying to figure out what to ask that will help us start the process of growing outta this hole and when the grant funds are gone we can continue with these programs and can afford to stay with them. (See my other post)

Kurt - Thanks for your help over the years & again on this one....Its gonna be fun LOL

No problem Was Sunday morning anyway and I guess someone had to preach a sermon! LOL
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

I don't know how you all do these every year and for then one department, This thing is gonna cause the early death of me LOL. Im gonna need a few drinks and a vacation after the 24th....Of course thats about the time I get ready for the next grant.

Wheelman: I'm sure you realize this, But work on a targeted program to get those 16 $$$$$$ homeowners involved and supporting the department. All it takes is for one of them to need your services and then you get them to hold a "wine , cheese and checkbook party" in support of the dept.

We managed to do this a few years ago to fund four AED's for our EMT's. Many of them will claim they haven't been approached for help, but are willing to do something.
    Most of them need the tax breaks at the end of the year.

Forum Member

We have the Hiring Grant done and at 100%, however still a little off on the R&R, trying to get my hands around the Turnout Gear Request and why we would need to do an after grant addendum to cover this cost, also it is written in the grant to give a gift card should this be changed to just reflect the award amount and not use gift card? Anyone have any reccomendations

Forum Member

Not sure I understand what you're looking for with the way the question is worded.

Forum Member

BC79,

One of the guys says we should not include the cost of Gear in the intial grant, just add it in afterwards if we get the grant.

The other question is we have a gift card for the top trainer and the top call runner, should we just say $100 instead of Gift Card?

Forum Member

It has to be in the grant now if you need to purchase new gear for new recruits, all part of the costs.

Also doesn't matter if you use gift/incentive cards or cash, all has to be reported and 1099'd above $600 no matter what.

Forum Member

Thanks BC

This helps to know that if i send in what has been written we will not get gear.

Forum Member

No problem. It's generally not the best/most competitive way to get sets of new gear but for many that's the reason that new members don't join or stick around. If that's been an issue before then it's definitely something to be included in the grant.

Thread Information