Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    9

    Default TOTALLY online Fire Officer and Instructor courses?

    Does anyone know of any totally online Fire Officer (1, 2, 3, or 4) or Instructor (1, 2, or 3) courses? I know some where you have one day in classroom, but I am looking for something totally online. Would prefer Pro Board of IFSAC but any state certifcations may work as well as they may transfer to WV.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks!


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Also, by chance also looking for Fire Inspector 1 or 2 courses as well.

    Thanks!

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,973

    Default

    out of curosity - why are you adamant about no classroom ?
    ?

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    I personally am not familiar with ANY class that is totally online with no classroom, or some sort of live interaction with an instructor.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default

    I can't imagine doing any fire service class purely online. This is a hands on job, even "book" stuff should be done live. I sure as hell wouldn't want an instructor or officer that got his training by clicking A-D on a website. Any fool can do that. (I should know, I'm a professional nerd by day.)

    I could be wrong but I know of no NYS fire classes that can be done online.
    Last edited by FuturePrimitive; 02-01-2012 at 09:42 AM.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Uijeongbu, South Korea
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I haven't tried it, but it looks like the stuff on here is: http://www.edvancementsolutions.com/open-fire.php

    Little pricey if you're paying out of pocket, which is why I haven't taken any of the courses yet. If you try it let me know how it is.

  7. #7
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smpg2613 View Post
    Does anyone know of any totally online Fire Officer (1, 2, 3, or 4) or Instructor (1, 2, or 3) courses? I know some where you have one day in classroom, but I am looking for something totally online. Would prefer Pro Board of IFSAC but any state certifcations may work as well as they may transfer to WV.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by smpg2613 View Post
    Also, by chance also looking for Fire Inspector 1 or 2 courses as well.

    Thanks!


    Would you like fries with that?

    I doubt that no state will have on line classes for what you want.

    I fact I know Virginia requires you to sit in a class and be a participant and get in front of the class and present a short class on a subject.

    Having been from Instructor 1 - 4 and Officer 1 - 3. I can tell you that you will get nothing by doing these on line. The hours for each are too long to try and get the meat and potatoes from a computer as you sit there eating and having the TV on.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    497

    Default

    In Indiana - there is a very big push for distance education. As a person who works in higher education - I do see the merit - especially for fundamental content delivery (lectures). Remote delivery and 'recorded' lectures would allow students who cannot physically come to class every session the opportunity to take a class. Indiana has been working with Webinar technology and is looking at ways to keep recorded videos available for students. Not sure where that is at though. This does not happen 100% online though. Students still have to physically meet the instructor of record a few times throughout the class.

    That said - I would NEVER sign off a student I never met personally and validated they did in fact get the material of the course. There is WAY to much chance for fraud there. Fortunately, in Indiana, we have practical skills that go with the class and proctored exams where identity is confirmed.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    N. Ridgeville, Ohio
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Ohio has online Fire Officer I, II and III available at limited places. The instructor and inspector classes can be done as half online and half in class. There is no way to do your instructor or inspector class solely online from what I experienced.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

  10. #10
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I fact I know Virginia requires you to sit in a class and be a participant and get in front of the class and present a short class on a subject.

    Having been from Instructor 1 - 4 and Officer 1 - 3. I can tell you that you will get nothing by doing these on line. The hours for each are too long to try and get the meat and potatoes from a computer as you sit there eating and having the TV on.
    Capt, you'd be interested to know that several of these VDFP classes now have required on-line components. In fact, some of them are required to be completed before the first day of class.

    The VFSB and VDFP have been getting bombarded with requests for more on-line training, as this is a means of learning for many people that are entering today's fire service. Interestingly, statewide studies have found that there's actually a higher pass rate for those students who participate with some on-line education built into their course.

    When I was on the committee to re-vamp the Firefighter I & II delivery and testing back as far as 2008, we were getting a lot of pressure from one particular organization in the Commonwealth who wanted Firefighter I delivered completely on-line with some "super weekends" for their practicals. We stood our ground and refused to entertain this, and the VFSB thankfully stood behind us on that decision. Firefighter I the the basis upon which all fire service education is based, and is too valuable to be delivered in the online environment.

    I do have to agree with those that have said that finding these classes completely online is going to be hard to do, and for good reasons. These are intermediate and advanced level classes, and the peer-to-peer and student-to-instructor time during these courses is invaluable.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  11. #11
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,229

    Default

    I wasn't aware that DFP had made those changes. We had similar when I was sitting on committees revising courses and writing new ones. We had requests then to have some on line and the answer then was no. If you want a class and be certified, attend the class.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber N2DFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    S.W. Virginia
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Capt, you'd be interested to know that several of these VDFP classes now have required on-line components. In fact, some of them are required to be completed before the first day of class.

    The VFSB and VDFP have been getting bombarded with requests for more on-line training, as this is a means of learning for many people that are entering today's fire service. Interestingly, statewide studies have found that there's actually a higher pass rate for those students who participate with some on-line education built into their course.

    When I was on the committee to re-vamp the Firefighter I & II delivery and testing back as far as 2008, we were getting a lot of pressure from one particular organization in the Commonwealth who wanted Firefighter I delivered completely on-line with some "super weekends" for their practicals. We stood our ground and refused to entertain this, and the VFSB thankfully stood behind us on that decision. Firefighter I the the basis upon which all fire service education is based, and is too valuable to be delivered in the online environment.

    I do have to agree with those that have said that finding these classes completely online is going to be hard to do, and for good reasons. These are intermediate and advanced level classes, and the peer-to-peer and student-to-instructor time during these courses is invaluable.
    Professor Box is correect and it's not just VFSB and VDFP, the same thing is happening on the EMS side (only for Con-Ed now but the trend is growing). Even NREMT allows for 10 of 48 hours of "Required Content" to be from an online source and 12 of 24 hours of "Flexible Content" online.

    I am also in wholehearted agreement w/ Box that Firefighter I (and II) should NEVER be transitioned to online (even with the super skills weekends) - there is still much learning that takes place thru student interaction in the classroom environment.

    That being said, I can see where Instructor & Officer courses could be made into an online format. I would never advocate an automated "self paced" format, but an online instructor led format could be made to work.

    Having completed an online accelerated BS in Management in this Instructor led format and I can promise you it was harder and more in depth than any in person class I've ever had (college, EMS, or Fire Service) and that includes the pilot Instructor III class I'm in right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I fact I know Virginia requires you to sit in a class and be a participant and get in front of the class and present a short class on a subject.
    Also our good Capt is correct, but on the opposite side of the coin, Liberty University has a "Public Speaking" course that is entirely online. Students are required to present & record speeches (which show proof of a live audience) and submit them at regular intervals. One of my co-workers took this and used his bible study classes for his speeches. Why couldn't a similar approach be done for Instructor I and the student could then video in house training with his/her department.

    As much as us old timers hate to admit it, technology IS changing the way students learn & in turn how we teach.

    My apologies to the OP for taking his thread on a side track - I think this topic is worth of it's own thread b/c we had generated some very good discussion thus far.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Not that I am adamant about no classroom. Just trying to get some things done on my own time at home without having to travel, etc. Most online classes (like the ones I found from Texas) you have to travel someplace to test, do practicals, etc.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I already Firefighter I, Firefighter II, HazMat Ops, Fire Officer I/II, etc., etc.... that was done in person. Just trying to find some other online classes so I can do them on my own time.
    Last edited by smpg2613; 03-08-2012 at 03:22 PM.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default on line classes

    There is an online company that does some classes here in florida. You can check out fireetraining.com and they are accredited

  16. #16
    Forum Member chad_petron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I think blended courses should also be considered as an innovative option. For example Ricky Rescue Training (based out of Florida) has FFP1740 Course Delivery as a combination of online studies with "virtual" interaction on discussion boards followed by traditional classroom time where students do their presentations in front of classmates. I could argue both sides of the topic but online classes do seem to be a decent option when used to complement good old fashioned live, in person classes.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I am actually just starting my first online course in the fire service, Fire Officer II. This is done almost entirely online but here in NJ it is done in conjunction with our municipal fire academy. I believe there is a very small portion of in-classroom presentation and is only available to NJ DFS certified firefighters. Times sure have changed.
    Gary
    Advanced Firefighter -T.R.F.D
    Engine Co. #1 "The House On The Hill"

    "What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Online Medic Courses (intro courses)
    By BennyT373 in forum Career Advancement
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 08:49 AM
  2. 4 year fire degree - totally online
    By lesb246 in forum Career Advancement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 09:40 AM
  3. Online Fire Courses
    By Brouwer in forum Career Advancement
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 06:50 PM
  4. Online Courses
    By roundmtnvfd3 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 03:44 PM
  5. EMR/EMT courses online
    By PFire23 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2001, 12:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts