Forum Member

Default Out of state Firefighters in Florida

I have a couple questions, if anybody could help me out. I live in Georgia, and am starting to look out of state for a good department to join. I've found a lot of places in the Carolinas, and in Florida as well. I've talked to a few guys here and there, and what I've been told is that none of my certifications will transfer down to Florida. Also, somebody said something about a state test of some type that you have to take before any department will even consider looking at your application. Can any of you Florida boys help me out with some answers to get me pointed in the right direction?

Forum Member

I'm not a Florida resident but I've read you have to be a resident to apply to Florida positions.

MembersZone Subscriber

I live in Jacksonville, FL; I hope this helps. Pretty much every single fire department in Florida with the exception of one, requires you to have your Florida firefighter I and II as well as your Florida EMT-B in order to even apply, forget needing it to get hired, you have to have those minimum requirements to even apply. That being said, most fire departments require you to get your Paramedic card within a certain amount of time after hire or have it to get hired. So plan on either having your Paramedic or being in the process of getting it, if you want to get hired here.

As far as your certs go, they more than likely won't transfer... that being said you could look into challenging the Florida tests, but i know my FFI from NY didn't do the trick. Their FFII here in Florida is pretty much the equivalent of a compressed fire academy for some cities in the U.S. its something like 900 hrs or something like that.

Just know that everyone down here at least has their FF I and II and EMT-B, but most either have their paramedic or are working on it. it is extremely hard here in Florida. People like to call it competitive, but i don't consider it competitive if you have to have those Certs to even apply that kinda takes the competitiveness out of it because you can't really have a leg up on someone unless of course your competition all have emt-b and you have paramedic, but again most people either have or are getting their paramedic card.

Again I did say there was one fire department that is an exception to the policy and its no easier to get hired there because there are so many applicants. Miami Dade Fire Rescue as far as I know is the only fire department that does not require you to have the certs, however, they have preferences to military, state fire and emt cert holders and students from high school that are apart of their program. here is a link to their webpage; hope i was helpful. http://www.miamidade.gov/mdfr/hiring.asp
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

I'm having my Fire 1 and 2 from NC looked at by FL Fire College over the next few months to see if they will transfer to FL. I'm not too optimistic that they will. It's being look at as a "courtesy review" I believe you could call it, since I haven't been certified in NC yet. But I'd like to return to FL and will probably do so IF they transfer. If they do not transfer, I will probably remain here in NC. My only other option is to move back down to FL as an EMT and take FF1 and FF2 all over again in FL, then apply all over Central FL. My chances of getting a job are much better here in NC.

One thing you can look into, as well as myself, is to see if GA is IFSAC or ProBoard. FL is ProBoard, not sure what GA is. NC is IFSAC. There is a small fee to pay once certified to get the designation, but totally worth it, and hopefully it helps. I'm not sure if IFSAC can be transfered into a ProBoard designation or not, but I'd research. Not sure if they are equivalent.

And most of the info I have provided is stuff I've read and heard on this board.
    Last edited by Want2BAFF.; 02-01-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: add

Forum Member

Would getting ur medic in GA and transfering to FL be an option? Then going to fire school in FL? I've heard that transfering medic is a lot easier than fire. Maybe others can clarify for you, but this is an option I'm pondering...

Forum Member

Just a quick little vent: Whats the point of FL being Proboard when they wont except it? Isn't the point of these national acceditation agencys to guarentee consistency among the training academy's. I totally under stand that the "cat is outta the bag" with the greatest job in the world down in FL. But there should still be some competition in FL. Who cares who has FF1 or 2 personally I can teach my 2 year old the book work. You still have to pass the test, and interview and some have polygraphs. You can pass the test and still be a *****bag. So professionalism, proper attire and attitude go along way.

As for Paramedic, again theres a thing called National Registry. Its called that for a reason, and a guideline for lecture and practical so its the same national wide. Where it gets different is at the local level. Just an FYI don't tell them your National Registry if you want to challenge the test. They make you take the NREMTP over again. If you tell them your a state of CT Paramedic you just have to take the state of FL test. Another head scratcher!

Just my 0.02. Not intended to offend anyone just a vent session.

Forum Member

What departments have you seen hiring that would be worth the move to Florida? It's slim pickings here. Stay in Georgia or look in another state, FL is flooded with fully certified and experienced applicants all chasing after very few positions.
    Last edited by SVTxDUDE; 02-01-2012 at 04:37 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

texas is a good state to look into...
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

I'm certified in FL and have just tested up in GA and NC. I'm willing to move to find my career. If I find something in FL, great. But I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket so to say. The market here is flooded. It's not uncommon to have 4000 or more FL certified firefighters apply for an opening with one dept.

Thread Information