Forum Member

Question Training Division

I just graduated college, which was one of my life goals and now its time to move on to another goal in life. It did not hit me until recently that I want to be a firefighter. So Iím not that familiar with the process of becoming a firefighter and thatís why Iím on this forum. Iím trying to find out the best way to become a firefighter. I live in Texas and would love to get a job around the DFW or central Texas area.
    I have looked online and trainingdivision.com keeps coming up, is this a good program or something to stay away from?

Any info on how to become a firefighter would be helpfully.

Thanks,
    Ron

Forum Member

Great program

Your biggest problem is that some depts in tx want paramedic

The ff cert is the easy part

You might also check fort worth they will train you and are taking apps soon. Not sure if they require college hours

Also check this, and you can see what differently cities require;;;

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Forum Member

Forum Member

It seems like all departments here require EMT-B. Thanks for the information.

Forum Member

dfw area like paramedic, and if you have it pits you in a different class of those that do not

Forum Member

Training Division is a legit and great program. It is mostly online based (meaning that you study and at your pace) and in the end, you do a 2 week boot camp (fire skills). To be a commission firefighter, you must have a medical cert such as ECA, EMT-B, EMT-I, or EMT-P. So, the best bet is probably to get your EMT-B first. Then look into fire school. Fire5555 is correct with his comments, Being a Paramedic is the best bet as most departments in the metroplex and central texas prefer FF/Medics and sometimes will choose FF/EMT-P over FF/EMT-B.

Forum Member

Yeah to be certified by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (the career FF certifying authority) you have to be EMT-B. Certain FDs require medic, some don't. Each dept, DFW and elsewhere have different requirements so check around.

Forum Member

Thanks for the information y’all….. I’m leaning on getting my EMT-B first. I’m a little skeptical about doing it online. I really do want to learn and not just pass a test.

tcd
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by texcowboy4x4 View Post
    Thanks for the information y’all….. I’m leaning on getting my EMT-B first. I’m a little skeptical about doing it online. I really do want to learn and not just pass a test.
    I wouldn't discount online learning as an easy ticket out. Online gets a bad rep due to too many for-profit diploma mills poisoning the waters, but TrainingDivision isn't one of them. Search around here and elsewhere and you'll find many posts regarding their legitimacy and quality of instruction.

Also, you can always try to work out a deal with your volunteer department where you do some weekly training that's coordinated with what you're studying in the academy course. And as some will tell you, the real learning begins once you're on the job.

Now if you're young and can afford to trade a paycheck for a full-time academy, then definitely go that route. There are options around the state that usually cost around $3k-5k (TEEX, community colleges, fire departments, etc.), just do a search and you'll find them.

And finally, start applying to civil service departments as they'll usually provide you with fire and medical training to EMT-B once you're hired.

Good luck.

Thread Information