Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Honolulu Fire Department

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rvares View Post
    hey guys. scored a lot lower than I would have liked for the written with a 76. is there any chance AT ALL you guys see me moving on to the physical exam?
    It depends - some guys who scored great may not pass the physical, and I think they just run down the line until they have X number of people pass. Dunno how many people they're taking though.
    Anybody know the # of people they're looking for?

Also, do they do the physical before or after interviews?

Forum Member

The physical test is before the interviews. The HFD anticipates how many positions they'll be filling due to retirement, promotions and other reasons over the next few years, usually between 200 - 250 give or take. They'll invite that many people plus a small percentage more in anticipation to those that won't pass the physical test. After the physical testing is complete a hiring list is made and they will call candidates for interviews based on the written test scores from highest to lowest. They will continue down the list for each recruit class they hold until they've depleted all candidates on the list, or when they deem they need a fresh group of candidates where the whole process starts over again.

The classes are usually held every 6 - 8 months depending on how quickly they need to fill positions. And the class size can vary also depending on positions to be filled. They can also go without hiring for a class for an extended period if not too many positions are opened, or if the C&C says it's not in the budget.

Just because you pass all the tests doesn't mean you're guaranteed to get interviewed. And even if you do interview there's still no guarantee that you will be hired.

The process may not go exactly like this though. The HFD has the option to change any process they like within legal standards. Like I stated before, they don't even plan to use the CPAT test this time around.

Forum Member

Did anybody receive an email for the physical test yet?

Forum Member

nothing yet. Do we just sit tight until they contact us, or is there a point of contact for questions and such?

Forum Member

We pretty much just sit tight. It was about 6 weeks from the day the written test results were given until the scheduling for the orientation and physical test was sent out. There was a recruit class in training the past few months that has either graduated recently, or will graduate within a couple of weeks. I suspect there would be more recruiting action with the conclusion of the class.

If you want to check on things you could try contacting the City & County HR at 768-8536, or HFD admin at 723-7135.

Forum Member

The HFD is putting together a new PAT. I believe on Dec. 9th they will do a test run using a panel of current firefighters, male and female, and of a wide age range. They will use the average results to set a qualifying goal for the next group of recruit candidates. Once they have the results and set the standards they will contact those who have a qualifying written test score.

The physical testing will probably be scheduled sometime early 2013. They will have a cutoff point of applicants they will bring in for the physical test, so even though the passing score is 70 you may not qualify. Even if you don't get a letter right away you could still be called in down the line if the HFD decides they need to bring in more recruits before the next written test is held.

Forum Member

Anyone got an idea when the physical will take place? Hoping this delay wont result in another retake (written) as back in '05-'06. Best of luck to those still in the running. Aloha

Forum Member

I think it should happened by May. I was told the delay is because of the new mayor being elected, and the retirement of chief Silva. Just unfortunate timing. But once both sides set their staff and figure out budgets and schedules things should move along again.
    Also, based on what I was told, the test was legit. No cheating or unfair advantages have been discovered so there won't be a retest like in '05-'06.
    Best of luck to all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nsouza View Post
    I think it should happened by May. I was told the delay is because of the new mayor being elected, and the retirement of chief Silva. Just unfortunate timing. But once both sides set their staff and figure out budgets and schedules things should move along again.
    Also, based on what I was told, the test was legit. No cheating or unfair advantages have been discovered so there won't be a retest like in '05-'06.
    Best of luck to all.
    Thank you for the update!

Forum Member

Anybody hear any updates?

Forum Member

A friend of mine knows somebody that just got an email giving him information on the upcoming physical testing. Has anybody else received an email?

Forum Member

I got one. It reads:

Subject: Fire Fighter Recruit Physical Ability Test

Based on your written test score, you are eligible to participate in the Honolulu Fire Department's (HFD) Physical Ability Test (PAT).

PHASE I: Aerial Ladder Climb Event and PHASE II: Swim/Dive Event are scheduled on:

MONDAY, APRIL 29, 2013

YOU SHOULD EXPECT THE ADMINISTRATION OF PHASES I AND II TO TAKE APPROXIMATELY THE ENTIRE DAY.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Only candidates who pass Phases I and II will be scheduled for Phase III: PAT Event.

PHASE III: PAT Event is scheduled for one of the following dates:

WEDNESDAY, MAY 1, 2013 OR
    THURSDAY, MAY 2, 2013 OR
    FRIDAY, MAY 3, 2013

YOU SHOULD EXPECT THE ADMINISTRATION OF PHASE III TO TAKE APPROXIMATELY 3 - 4 HOURS.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The HFD will send via USPS important testing information (e.g., your assigned scheduled appointment for the Aerial Ladder Climb test and location) by April 5, 2013. You must report at your assigned scheduled appointment. There will be no make-ups. If you do not plan to or cannot attend the PAT, please notify the HFD at hfdpers@honolulu.gov.

Please make sure the address on your application is current. If you have moved since applying, submit an address change to:

City & County of Honolulu
    Department of Human Resources
    650 South King Street, 10th Floor
    Honolulu, Hawaii 96813

Visit the HFD website at www.honolulu.gov/hfd/ and click on the PAT link. A video and related information concerning the PAT will be placed on our website by April 5th.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
    If you are unable to participate in this PAT, you will be eligible to take the PAT when it is administered again.

The HFD plans to administer the PAT approximately every 12 - 18 months.

Even if you pass the PAT, you are required to retake the PAT when it is administered again.

If you do not pass the PAT, you will be eligible to retake the PAT. You will be required to pass all three phases.

Forum Member

What was your written test score?

Forum Member

I got a 92. what about you?

Forum Member

I got an 80. I didn't get an email so I probably didn't make the cut. However I did select to be notified by paper so maybe I'll be getting some news in the mail soon.

Forum Member

Hopefully! The email says by 5 April, so we should find out in a week or so!

Forum Member

To those of you who have been selected to take the PAT, I wish you good luck. I looked at the video that was posted to the HFD's website. It looks pretty tasking, but definitely do-able.

I also ask that you keep us updated with any information you may have for us candidates that still may be in the running for any future PATs that may be scheduled.

Thank you, and once again, good luck.
    Nash

Forum Member

Default Haven't heard anything

I scored an 88 on the written exam but haven't received any mail/email. I contacted Department of Human Resources and politely asked them what the qualifying score was for the physical and if they could double-check my records since I hadn't receieved anything yet. The woman on the other line said she couldn't help me--she told me she had no information for me and she couldn't tell me anything. She then referred me to HFD. I called HFD and the woman on the line told me to call Human Resources. I explained to her that I had called them first and they referred me to HFD. So she tells me she can't help me and that it's Human Resources I should be talking to. So, basically just waiting in limbo right now. If anyone can shed any light on what is currently taking place, please let me/us know.

Aloha

Forum Member

How's it going guys. Just wanted to fill you guys in on what's been happening regarding the tests. I scored a 92 on the test and took the Swim/dive on April 29th, passed, and took the 10-event PAT on May 2nd. Passed everything and was given a slip of paper which read that Human resources were now referring our names to HFD and we will be called in order of written test scores for an oral interview. I heard from multiple people taking the PAT that they took people with a written test score of 89 and above. They physically tested about 80 people from what i seen. I'll let you guys know any news as soon as I find out.
    Aloha

Forum Member

Congrats Nalu! Thanks for the info too. 89 was the cutoff?? I guess one more year until the next physical. Good luck on the interview Nalu.

Aloha

Forum Member

To those that have tested and passed the physical portion, how far along in the process are you? Have you been scheduled for interviews yet?

Nash

Forum Member

Nash, didn't hear back from HFD yet. I'm not sure if they interviewed anyone with higher scores. I scored 92 for the written.

Forum Member

I've got an interview scheduled for next tuesday. I think they scheduled most of the interviews during next week

Forum Member

How's it guys. Just had the interview. It was a formal interview consisting of about 10 basic questions. Didn't take longer than 20 minutes. We are supposed to receive word by October 4th as to whether or not we are moving on to the next step (background check, drivers abstract).
    manoaceo likes this.

Forum Member

Anyone heard when they are doing the PAT again?

Thread Information