Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Honolulu Fire Department

  1. #51
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    No word on the next PAT, but all abstracts were due yesterday, and fingerprinting and physicals are happening next week and the following weeks.

    Class tentatively starts Jan 13, 2014

  2. #52
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Anybody have an idea of how many candidates they will be taking in for the training class?

  3. #53
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Just signed my Offer letter today. HR rep said they are trying to get about 23-25 recruits in the class. Next step is to go buy uniforms, and go to the Orientation on 11-Jan-2014, then class starts on 13-Jan-2014.

  4. #54
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Aloha guys,

    I'm considering taking the next upcoming written exam that the HFD will conduct. Had a few questions for the guys in the HFD or currently in the recruitment class:

    - Is it highly suggested to take the Fire Science course at HCC?
    - Get EMT-B certified?


    Although I have read and heard that it is not necessary to have those certifications, I'm sure it would look great on my resume. But because I currently have a full-time job and have (2) young kids at home, I'm not sure if I'd want to tackle 2-years of college (if it's not necessary).

    At the least, I was planning to get EMT-B certified and do tons of prep-exam studying so I'll be mentally primed come exam time.

    Looking forward to all your advise and suggestions, Mahalo!

    - Joe

  5. #55
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hey Joe,
    The best advice I can give is to actually focus on your test preparation that literally does not require any fire science or EMT knowledge. The test focuses on reading comprehension and mathematical/logical principles. You have a handful of map reading and visual logic as well. The key is to be fast and accurate as after the last written test in July 2012, the initial cutoff score was 89 out of 100 (correct answers). You can find a few "prep tests" online and your hard earned money might be better spent initially on test preparation than HCC or EMT-B cert.

    From the written exam selection comes out "the list", every step after that is pass/fail so your recruitment ranking is based on the written test.

    The Fire Recruit position does not require the HCC course of EMT-B certification. For the panel interview, I would focus on how your life experiences (employment, volunteering, sports, family) have prepared you to enter this career.

    I hope this helps. Ask away if you have more questions,

    Arnaud
    I will be joining the 100th HFD Recruit class on 7/21/14

  6. #56
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnaud Adam View Post
    Hey Joe,
    The best advice I can give is to actually focus on your test preparation that literally does not require any fire science or EMT knowledge. The test focuses on reading comprehension and mathematical/logical principles. You have a handful of map reading and visual logic as well. The key is to be fast and accurate as after the last written test in July 2012, the initial cutoff score was 89 out of 100 (correct answers). You can find a few "prep tests" online and your hard earned money might be better spent initially on test preparation than HCC or EMT-B cert.

    From the written exam selection comes out "the list", every step after that is pass/fail so your recruitment ranking is based on the written test.

    The Fire Recruit position does not require the HCC course of EMT-B certification. For the panel interview, I would focus on how your life experiences (employment, volunteering, sports, family) have prepared you to enter this career.

    I hope this helps. Ask away if you have more questions,

    Arnaud
    I will be joining the 100th HFD Recruit class on 7/21/14
    Thank you for the advice Arnaud!

    I just ordered "Norman Hall's Firefighter Exam Preparation Book". Is there any other prep-exam books that are relevant to the HFD exam(s)?

  7. #57
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhip View Post
    Aloha guys,

    I'm considering taking the next upcoming written exam that the HFD will conduct. Had a few questions for the guys in the HFD or currently in the recruitment class:

    - Is it highly suggested to take the Fire Science course at HCC?
    - Get EMT-B certified?


    Although I have read and heard that it is not necessary to have those certifications, I'm sure it would look great on my resume. But because I currently have a full-time job and have (2) young kids at home, I'm not sure if I'd want to tackle 2-years of college (if it's not necessary).

    At the least, I was planning to get EMT-B certified and do tons of prep-exam studying so I'll be mentally primed come exam time.

    Looking forward to all your advise and suggestions, Mahalo!

    - Joe
    Hey Joe,
    I wouldnt worry about getting EMT or taking a FS course. Most of the present recruit class doesn't have or hasn't had EMT-T or Fire Science courses under their belt.
    Focus on getting a high score on the test and a chance to sit in front of the interview panel. Have they released the next testing date yet? Last I heard they were going to try to take another 40 or so off the present list for another class starting at the beginning of the year.


    Quote Originally Posted by jhip View Post
    Is there any other prep-exam books that are relevant to the HFD exam(s)?
    Unless they do something drastically different for the next test, it should be 100 multiple choice questions that aren't fire specific. Norman Hall's is what a lot of people use. You should be good!

  8. #58
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Howzit everyone,

    Have a quick question for those of you in the current recruit class; What has been the most challenging aspect in your training so far? (mental/physical?) And if you could go back before the start of it, what would you have done to better prepare yourself to meet those challenges you now face?

    Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Aloha!

  9. #59
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Just an idea, if you can afford to take the test on the outer islands I would highly recommend doing so. I took the most recent Maui fire exam, which had many of same questions (word for word) as the last HFD test. The outer islands also seem to test more frequently than HFD. I believe I ended up waiting 4yrs for the last one to come around. Either way it wouldn't hurt getting in as much practice as you can. Study hard and good luck!

  10. #60
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    23

    Default

    I believe the HFD personnel are trained to the first responder level.

  11. #61
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afakhori View Post
    Hey Joe,
    I wouldnt worry about getting EMT or taking a FS course. Most of the present recruit class doesn't have or hasn't had EMT-T or Fire Science courses under their belt.
    Focus on getting a high score on the test and a chance to sit in front of the interview panel. Have they released the next testing date yet? Last I heard they were going to try to take another 40 or so off the present list for another class starting at the beginning of the year.



    Unless they do something drastically different for the next test, it should be 100 multiple choice questions that aren't fire specific. Norman Hall's is what a lot of people use. You should be good!
    Thanks afakhori,

    The person from their employment hotline said the exam won't be till another year or two!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Department won grant, promised not to sell old fire truck to any other fire dept
    By thomastender in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 02:36 PM
  2. 12-07-41 and the Honolulu Fire Department
    By R1SAlum in forum Line of Duty: In Memory Of
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 06:57 PM
  3. 12/07/41 and the Honolulu Fire Dept.
    By R1SAlum in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2002, 09:37 AM
  4. Honolulu, HI HIrise Issues
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2002, 11:23 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-1999, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register