Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

I have used several types (halon, CO2, dry chem, etc.) of fire extinguishers to fight fires.

I am partial to CO2 extinguishers for electrical fires. CO2 can get in behind walls and behind electrical panels better than dry chem powder. Does not make as much damage as the powder would. CO2 extinguishers are reasonable in cost to recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    A "water can" is a slang term for a pressurized 2 1/2 gallon water fire extinguisher. It's very common in the northeast and mid-Atlantic regions.
    We charge ours with a couple of ounces of Class A foam, and a couple of them have aerator nozzles attached.

We recharge ours in-station, and can recharge them in the field, as we carry the appropriate wrench and adapters for getting air off our apparatus with air brakes.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    We charge ours with a couple of ounces of Class A foam, and a couple of them have aerator nozzles attached.

We recharge ours in-station, and can recharge them in the field, as we carry the appropriate wrench and adapters for getting air off our apparatus with air brakes.
    Why not just plumb in a valve and air chuck permanently? We have an outlet on all our trucks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post

My previous department, as well as my current VFD just calls them "foam cans" ... "hey, grab the Class A foam can".

My VFD als carries a spray can on each engine as well as we fill as needed at incidents. We'll throw a tad of Class A foam in for overhaul on brush fires or furniture.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Why not just plumb in a valve and air chuck permanently? We have an outlet on all our trucks.
    Yep. We did. At least one truck has a female-female adapter to put on the fitting we use to charge truck air from the station compressor, though, rather than putting on both male and female fittings.

The wrench is to open the extinguisher.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

On each of our engines, One 2.5 gallon water can mixed to 10% Cold Fire (9 quarts water/1 quart Cold Fire) & a 20 lb. ABC dry chem. This gives us a coverage from Class A to some Class D fires. The water can at that mixture will put out a small aluminum, titanium, or magnesium fire (like you would find in vehicle fires) along with kicking butt on a Class A fire.
    Yes, we do have a built in air hose connection on each of our engines and we carry the air hose/chuck and the supplies to refill our cans on the scene.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Forum Member

I never thought on this. I always kept considering the uses not such things.

Thread Information