Forum Member

Default Fire Extinguisher?

How many and what type fire extinguishers do you carry on your fire apparatus?

Thanks

Forum Member

Our two pumpers and light rescue each have one:
    -20lb ABC dry chem (or is it 30lb???)
    -One PW (with carry strap)
    -One Ansul-type PKP extinguisher
    -One class D extinguisher
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

1-30 pound CO2
    1-30 pound ABC dry chemical
    2-2 1/2 gallon pessurized water treated with either Class A foam, or more recently with Fire Aide

FWDbuff,

Just curious, why do you carry a purple K and an ABC extinguisher? Seems redundant.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

On our rural pumper, we carry:

1-2 1/2 gallon pressurized water
    1-Dry Chem. Size unknown
    4-15 lb. CO2

The four 15lb. CO2 are for a special hazard we have in the community.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    why do you carry a purple K and an ABC extinguisher? Seems redundant.
    As an ARFF guy, I can tell you PK is more effective on Class B fires than a typical ABC extinguisher (besides the fact that is the ARFF world we are required to use PK due to corrosion issues). However PK is not effective enough on Class A fires to carry a Class A rating. Although I will admit, in my structural life I don't recall ever seeing a PK extinguisher off airport.

Forum Member

Both engines have the same....2 water cans, 1 CO2, 1 dry chem.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Combo Department
    Engines - 1 20lb. ABC Dry Powder
    Service & Utility Trucks - 2 20lb ABC Dry Powder

Volunteer Department
    Brush/Service Truck -
    (2) 21/2 gallon Water Cans
    (1) 20lb ABC Dry Powder

Engines -
    1 20lb ABC Powder
    1 CO2
    1 2 1/2 Gallon Water Can
    1 2 1/2 Gallon Water Cab w/ Class B Foam
    1 2 1/2 Gallon Class K (on 3 of the 5 engines closest to restaurants)
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcwops View Post
    As an ARFF guy, I can tell you PK is more effective on Class B fires than a typical ABC extinguisher (besides the fact that is the ARFF world we are required to use PK due to corrosion issues). However PK is not effective enough on Class A fires to carry a Class A rating. Although I will admit, in my structural life I don't recall ever seeing a PK extinguisher off airport.
    Being a former CFR guy (the name change to ARFF occurred while I was on the job, hated it, and still do) I understand about Purple K, we had a 500 pound system on our P-23. I guess I had just never seen the redundancy of PK and ABC multi-purpose extinguishers on a structural engine.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Thinking back on my firefighting experience (14 years) with 3 departments (rural and suburbia), I can not recall EVER using or some else using a fire extinguisher on a fire. I have trained many on how to use the extinguishes at industrial plants as part of "fire brigade" training. I think most times they are on the vehicle because ISO says you need to have them.

So how often are the fire extinguishers used on an actual fire?? What kind of fire did you use it on?

Yea I know in NYC they use a can ( 2.5 gallon) extingusher.
    Last edited by InsuranceLCRep; 02-04-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by InsuranceLCRep View Post
    Thinking back on my firefighting experience (14 years) with 3 departments (rural and suburbia), I can not recall EVER using or some else using a fire extinguisher on a fire. I have trained many on how to use the extinguishes at industrial plants as part of "fire brigade" training. I think most times they are on the vehicle because ISO says you need to have them.

So how often are the fire extinguishers used on an actual fire?? What kind of fire did you use it on?

I have probably used an extinguisher 6 or 7 times as the initial attack off the engine in my 30 years. A couple of times it was to knock down a running fuel fire at vehicle fires while the main body of fire was hit with a handline. A couple of times it was a water can at a furniture fire in a home, and a couple of times it was a CO2 at a grease fire, primarily as it was the best choice in terms of limiting owner clean-up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by InsuranceLCRep View Post

I have used ABC dry chem extinguishers on a few occasions. A couple of car fires, a railroad tie pile fire, and as a first hit on a fire running in between the original ceiling and a drop ceiling while the hose line was being stretched.

I have used a water extinguisher on several occasions, rubbish fires, small grass fires, during overhaul, and for furniture fuires.

I have never used a CO2 extinguisher on a real fire.

I have never used a Class D extinguinsher.

I have never used a Class K extinguisher.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcwops View Post
    winner winner.......part of our first due is an "affluent" community where several individuals own & operate their own helicopters (yes turbine) that they use to commute to Manhattan, downtown philly or to NE Philly Airport to hop the G-IV to Pittsburgh. Now while it is understood that any fire of size & consequence will be attacked appropriately, the 20lb PKP's are kept around for "minor" incidents....although anyone and everyone who has ever been charged with riding as company officer have said multiple times "if I see ANY fire showing, *** the extinguisher, get the deuce and a half bomb line."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Engine has two ABC, usually one pressurized water (with Class A Foam).
    Tankers each have an ABC.
    Rescue has an ABC, CO2, and a couple of pressurized water cans.

Don't think I've ever used a CO2. The ABC's have been off a few times. The water cans come in handy for trash barrel fires, and even overhaulling the occasional ground cover fire.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Rescue carries 2 cans, 1 CO2 and 1 ABC. Have used the can many times, 2-1/2 gallons can knock down quite a bit of fire. Have only used the CO2 twice, once for a cooking grease recycling container the other because the rear brakes of the rig went up. ABC only in training.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

The only time I've ever used an extiniguisher was at a saw mill fire. There were small piles of saw dust and puddles of grease burning all over the place and dry chem extinguishers about every 20 feet on the walls. While the guys on the hoses were hitting the main bodies of the fire I started pulling the extinguishers off the walls and hitting the little piles and puddles. We carry 20 or 30lb dry chem on all of our trucks but are discouraged from using them if not necessary since water is cheaper and more convenient than refilling the extinguishers.

The official position is don't use it if you don't need to but don't hesitate to use it if there's a real need to do so.

Forum Member

Each engine has 1 water can, 1 dry chem, and 1 CO2. I think each ladder carries the same as well, but might only be water cans. (Sounds like its time to refresh some knowledge!)

Water cans are (in my experience) the most useful, like another poster said they can be used to get a quick knock down on a small fire while a line is being stretched.

Forum Member

Typically most of the units I've been on carry at least 1 water can, (but usually 2), a dry chem, and a CO2. We typically put foam in the water cans, or at least Joy detergent, it makes it effective on small car and fuel fires. Never seen a CO2 used for an actual fire that I remember, but I've seen it used for other things.......

Forum Member

Maybe something I should know, but what's a water can? Is it just a pressure pump sprayer you use at home or is it something special?

Thanks

Forum Member

A "water can" is a slang term for a pressurized 2 1/2 gallon water fire extinguisher. It's very common in the northeast and mid-Atlantic regions.

Forum Member

already answered at the same time.

Forum Member

I have used several types (halon, CO2, dry chem, etc.) of fire extinguishers to fight fires.

I am partial to CO2 extinguishers for electrical fires. CO2 can get in behind walls and behind electrical panels better than dry chem powder. Does not make as much damage as the powder would. CO2 extinguishers are reasonable in cost to recharge.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    A "water can" is a slang term for a pressurized 2 1/2 gallon water fire extinguisher. It's very common in the northeast and mid-Atlantic regions.
    We charge ours with a couple of ounces of Class A foam, and a couple of them have aerator nozzles attached.

We recharge ours in-station, and can recharge them in the field, as we carry the appropriate wrench and adapters for getting air off our apparatus with air brakes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    We charge ours with a couple of ounces of Class A foam, and a couple of them have aerator nozzles attached.

We recharge ours in-station, and can recharge them in the field, as we carry the appropriate wrench and adapters for getting air off our apparatus with air brakes.
    Why not just plumb in a valve and air chuck permanently? We have an outlet on all our trucks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post

My previous department, as well as my current VFD just calls them "foam cans" ... "hey, grab the Class A foam can".

My VFD als carries a spray can on each engine as well as we fill as needed at incidents. We'll throw a tad of Class A foam in for overhaul on brush fires or furniture.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Why not just plumb in a valve and air chuck permanently? We have an outlet on all our trucks.
    Yep. We did. At least one truck has a female-female adapter to put on the fitting we use to charge truck air from the station compressor, though, rather than putting on both male and female fittings.

The wrench is to open the extinguisher.

Thread Information