Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Savannah, GA 2012

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Savannah, GA 2012

Good morning, everyone! I wanted to get a thread started for those who will be testing this year in Savannah. I read up on last year's thread and it looks like there are some great plans in the making for the department as far as expansion. They are doing a lot of testing this year...gotta be a good sign!

I am taking my test on February 17th and wanted to see if any of you guys/gals are testing this year. Good luck and see you all down there!

Forum Member

Anyone looking to get into the February 17 test, deadline for submitting an application is today. The March test has been cancelled so you won't have the opportunity to test again until April 20.

Forum Member

You are taking your written test?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm taking the test in April, due to a military conflict in Feb. Just wondering if anyone had any idea of when they are planning on putting a recruit class together, also if they plan on hiring from this list or if they have one already established.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by centerjeep22 View Post
    You are taking your written test?
    That is correct, centerjeep22. It is short notice for me, but I am stoked because I will be back East visiting family during that time already. Is anyone familiar with the study guide? Did it help you out?

Redline, I see that you are on the job there. Do you have any advice for those who are testing, sir?

MembersZone Subscriber

Recruit class 2012-01 is slated for the 4th quarter of this year....up to 30 people

Forum Member

Bruno: I think preparing beforehand is exactly the right attitude to have. The department put together a helpful training aide video for the CPAT, in case you aren't familiar with it. Here's part one; should be able to view the rest easily enough from there.

When the time comes, have a good idea of all the points you want to touch on in your panel interview and DRESS THE PART!!! When I came for my panel interview I met a guy in a golf shirt and khaki shorts waiting alongside me. This was our first and last time meeting. Come in a long sleeve shirt and tie in "safe" colors. I don't recall there being any interview questions out of left field. Be sure to touch on any education, service, or job experience you have and relate the lessons you learned from them to how you would apply them as a firefighter. Just because you wrote it in your resume, don't assume they remembered it. Be someone they'll remember and want to work with.
    Mcalifano85 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    Bruno: I think preparing beforehand is exactly the right attitude to have. The department put together a helpful training aide video for the CPAT, in case you aren't familiar with it. Here's part one; should be able to view the rest easily enough from there.

When the time comes, have a good idea of all the points you want to touch on in your panel interview and DRESS THE PART!!! When I came for my panel interview I met a guy in a golf shirt and khaki shorts waiting alongside me. This was our first and last time meeting. Come in a long sleeve shirt and tie in "safe" colors. I don't recall there being any interview questions out of left field. Be sure to touch on any education, service, or job experience you have and relate the lessons you learned from them to how you would apply them as a firefighter. Just because you wrote it in your resume, don't assume they remembered it. Be someone they'll remember and want to work with.
    Redline, thank you for the video link and for your advice! I cannot wait to get down there and rock the written exam (God-willing). I purchased the study guide, just in case.

I read a great article the other day about the SFES Dive Rescue Team. Do you guys still run that team? If so, it sure would be great to get back in the water! My scuba gear is collecting dust here in the desert!

Here is the link to the story: http://savannahnow.com/news/2009-10-03/diving-toward-fire-underwater-rescue

Forum Member

Bruno: Yes, the dive rescue team is still a service we provide. In fact, green and red lights were just installed at station 3 to pay homage to fallen mariners and identify the swiftwater/dive rescue team. Here's a photo link, not sure if it will work because it's on facebook. The IAFF local 574 runs a very informative facebook feed, if you'd like to check it out. They're listed under Iaff Savannahfirefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    Bruno: Yes, the dive rescue team is still a service we provide. In fact, green and red lights were just installed at station 3 to pay homage to fallen mariners and identify the swiftwater/dive rescue team. Here's a photo link, not sure if it will work because it's on facebook. The IAFF local 574 runs a very informative facebook feed, if you'd like to check it out. They're listed under Iaff Savannahfirefighters.
    Yes, sir! The link did not work, but I love the Facebook page!!

Forum Member

@ bruno - what specific study guide did you get? Just wondering I am getting out of the army this year and am starting to get back in the books this year to prepare for next year.

Forum Member

I took the written test last year and was all set up for the CPAT and a interview in October. 2 weeks before the CPAT/interview I got a letter in the mail saying that all CPAT testing/interviews have been canceled until further notice. Since then I still have not heard anything about further CPAT or interviews. Anybody els in my boat?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by slicwinko View Post
    @ bruno - what specific study guide did you get? Just wondering I am getting out of the army this year and am starting to get back in the books this year to prepare for next year.
    They sent a link with the email letting me know of my test date. The study guide is from IPMA-HR.

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone heard any new developments in the Savannah hiring process? They are testing every month, but I noticed that the March and July test dates have been cancelled. I sent in the required paperwork a few days after the test.

Any word on when they may start the CPAT/Interview portion? I am dying to go back down there!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harry1987 View Post
    I took the written test last year and was all set up for the CPAT and a interview in October. 2 weeks before the CPAT/interview I got a letter in the mail saying that all CPAT testing/interviews have been canceled until further notice. Since then I still have not heard anything about further CPAT or interviews. Anybody els in my boat?
    Same freaking boat, and I came from MidWest, alot of wasted money, would be amazing to work down there though!!

MembersZone Subscriber

CPAT and ladder climb testing is scheduled for June 12th, 13th and 14th. I am glad to see that things are moving forward down there. Interview dates have not been established at this time.

Anyone else headed down next month?

PPH
    Forum Member

I had my interview today, did anyone else have one? They plan to start a class in about a month on October 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PPH View Post
    I had my interview today, did anyone else have one? They plan to start a class in about a month on October 22.
    I had mine as well, PPH. Sent you a PM.

Forum Member

I had mine on the 14th as well. Anyone know anything more?

PPH
    Forum Member

Waiting for an email about the physical is driving me nuts. Anyone hear anything yet?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PPH View Post
    Waiting for an email about the physical is driving me nuts. Anyone hear anything yet?
    Same here, brother. Nothing yet. I'm trying to stay busy on my day off but I cannot stop checking my email as well.

Forum Member

I got 2 email, last one was 430pm-ish on the 20th, about having to resubmit my CPAT. I replied back saying that I took it with Savannah on the 28th of August and got a reply back this morning and saying that it was a mix-up on their end. So, I think that is a good thing . . . for me at least, them wanting to make sure I had all the requirements squared away and whatnot.
    -Corey "Mr O-we-some!" Walsh
    Moron AB Fire Dept USAFE
    Moron, Spain

"I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go." FDNY Battalion Chief John Sullivan at the Black Sunday Fire trial

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruno View Post
    Same here, brother. Nothing yet. I'm trying to stay busy on my day off but I cannot stop checking my email as well.
    I am in the same boat but since I am 6 hours ahead I just check that many more times
    Moron AB Fire Dept USAFE
    Moron, Spain

"I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go." FDNY Battalion Chief John Sullivan at the Black Sunday Fire trial

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything yet?
    Moron AB Fire Dept USAFE
    Moron, Spain

PPH
    Forum Member

Nope, nothing here.

Thread Information