Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By EB35
  • 1 Post By EB35

Thread: A newbie's CPAT practice orientation

Forum Member

Default A newbie's CPAT practice orientation

A newbie here. I just finished my first CPAT practice orientation. Like others have said, the stepmill was the part of the test that could be considered moderately, physically challenging. However, since I'm completely new to this, I took my time with each event, walked with the hose (proctor told me that if I ran and accidentally went outside of the barricade, I would be disqualified come test time), was extra careful in placing the saws on the ground as not to drop them during the equipment carry, and in some instances between stations, I accidentally walked outside of the cones, and the proctor made me go back the way I came around the cones and the yellow line, which definately slowed me down. I took too much time lowering the lanyard of the ladder because I was worried that it would slip out of my hands. Also, the proctor, who was very helpful, told me to brace my foot on the inside of the metal cage while doing the pike pole push and pull so I wouldn't have to reposition myself after each set. I was not gassed at the end and finished with 43 seconds to spare. However, next time I will improve my time because I'll pay better attention to details and techniques that will make me more efficient. I'll post an update of our final practice section next weekend. Any other advice from you guys is very much appreciated. Thanks!
    KTung954 likes this.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by EB35 View Post
    A newbie here. I just finished my first CPAT practice orientation. Like others have said, the stepmill was the part of the test that could be considered moderately, physically challenging. However, since I'm completely new to this, I took my time with each event, walked with the hose (proctor told me that if I ran and accidentally went outside of the barricade, I would be disqualified come test time), was extra careful in placing the saws on the ground as not to drop them during the equipment carry, and in some instances between stations, I accidentally walked outside of the cones, and the proctor made me go back the way I came around the cones and the yellow line, which definately slowed me down. I took too much time lowering the lanyard of the ladder because I was worried that it would slip out of my hands. Also, the proctor, who was very helpful, told me to brace my foot on the inside of the metal cage while doing the pike pole push and pull so I wouldn't have to reposition myself after each set. I was not gassed at the end and finished with 43 seconds to spare. However, next time I will improve my time because I'll pay better attention to details and techniques that will make me more efficient. I'll post an update of our final practice section next weekend. Any other advice from you guys is very much appreciated. Thanks!
    How heavy we're the saws? Also the tunnel how did it look like?

Forum Member

The saws were 35 lbs each (fairly light). I just babied them a little too much because I didn't want to drop them. The tunnel was a u shaped tunnel (I can't remember how many feet), and there were a couple ceiling obstacles, a ground obstacle, and the walls had varying width and heigth in different parts of the tunnel.
    KTung954 likes this.

Forum Member

Practice practice practice do it is second nature

Also work out

Forum Member

I do crossfit 4 days a week, and at least once a week I've been practicing with a weighted vest on the stepmill at my gym.

Forum Member

Message deleted
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-08-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Forum Member

Message deleted
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-08-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Forum Member

We had our second practice session before the real thing. I improved 45 seconds since last week, 8:52.

Thread Information