Forum Member

Default Minuteman hose load

Ok, i have some questions for those of you out there pulling minutemans at actual fires and what not. What are some of the main issues/concerns with it? Do any of you have issues with the nozzle wanting to come out of hose bed? We currently have 2 layer hose wide preconnect beds and so getting the nozzle all the way into the tray is not an option. There is concern if we switch to minuteman that the nozzle will work its way out and fall to grond while out driving. What are some remedies to this or is it even an actual problem? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

We use that same set up. 200ft preconnect with 100ft shoulder load next to the 100 ft drop load. No issues with the nozzle falling out. You just have to make sure that the nozzle is wrapped tightly in the loop. The weight of the shoulder load on top helps hold it in place. Also make sure that the hose bed isn't too wide. Too much extra room will allow the hose to move around and the nozzle may work free.

MembersZone Subscriber

if you are using the flat load try doing the "improvised minute man" or what we teach as "the flip".

it takes a flat and makes it a minuteman in one motion. we load the tray with 250 of hose. then there are folds at the 75'-ish and the 200'-ish. the nozzle stays on top and into the center of the rig. the hose can be pulled off both sides of the pump very easily.

the nozzle man comes and pulls the top loop, brings it half way out and bear hugs the hose to his chest, then turns away from the pumper. this places the nozzle on the shoulder and hose will come off the top. before he walks away the backup man does the same thing down to the 200'ish area of the hose.

what i like is that the flexiability of the flat is still there, need 100'- only use 100', need the full load in either flat or minuteman you've got it.

this is useful in our mcmansions and garden apartments. we also contend with lots of snow and parked cars.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

We run minute man loads at work, with the nozzle on top of the shoulder load. No issues with the nozzle coming off. If you are that concerned about it retrofit your trucks with crosslay nets.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

i have never had a nozzle come off even if there was no tarp or net with a flat load.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

We run what is called around here a 200 ft "modified minute man" in our crosslays. Two hose width wide bed. The first 100 ft is flat laid up against the front of the tray, the 3rd section is laid by starting with the male coupling resting on the ground and feeding back into the tray. Connect the fourth and continue loading. When the 2nd 100 ft is packed you have a male coupling on top of the flat load section and the female from the 2nd 100', connect these together, attach nozzle, and place nozzle on the top of the hose (end up appx. at the center of the truck). We have never had a crosslay come out at either department that I work at when the hose is packed like this.

Everyone has their own little adaptations to it, e.g.- some will put loops in the flat load side to help the nozzleman clear the bed, others don't.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Default minuteman help

We would like to try the minute man but our trays are 3 wide. Any advice? Spacers, three bundles, ????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AC4002 View Post
    We would like to try the minute man but our trays are 3 wide. Any advice? Spacers, three bundles, ????
    Run a flat load or triple layer load.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    We run minute man loads at work, with the nozzle on top of the shoulder load. No issues with the nozzle coming off. If you are that concerned about it retrofit your trucks with crosslay nets.
    Naturally this would be ideal, however I would never get the powers that be sold on this hose load if it costs them money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    i have never had a nozzle come off even if there was no tarp or net with a flat load.
    That's still no reason not to have a tarp or net. People have been killed by hoses coming off of a fire truck going down the street. It's one of the cheapest safety appliances you can put on a truck, even if it just keeps you from having to reload hose in the the middle of the street in the middle of a run. It's also the current standard to have a net or tarp. Maybe you've just been lucky so far.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    That's still no reason not to have a tarp or net. People have been killed by hoses coming off of a fire truck going down the street. It's one of the cheapest safety appliances you can put on a truck, even if it just keeps you from having to reload hose in the the middle of the street in the middle of a run. It's also the current standard to have a net or tarp. Maybe you've just been lucky so far.
    We don't have a tarp or net either. I haven't personally seen a crosslay ever fall out and we run about 170,000 calls each year. In fact pretty much every large city department I can think of doesn't have a net.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AC4002 View Post

Reverse Horseshoe. Do the bottom 50' flat, then start with the horseshoe against the divider, run it around to the other side and then back inside itself. Nozzle in the middle. Reach in, Pull the nozzle out across the shoulder and then shove your arm all the way down and catch the bottom loop. As you're pulling and before the whole thing gets out, twist your arm level so the lengths are laying across your arm. You can shove you arm all the way though and transition it to a should load with practice. Luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    True True. Luck is the main reason most departments dont make change

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    We don't have a tarp or net either. I haven't personally seen a crosslay ever fall out and we run about 170,000 calls each year. In fact pretty much every large city department I can think of doesn't have a net.

I agree, if you load the hose right it won't come out until intended.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I agree, if you load the hose right it won't come out until intended.
    Nonsense. The issue arose most often with one brand of hose that had a slick outer jacket and whether it was loaded right or not made not difference.

And, NO, I will not name the brand of hose because their lawyers can kick my lawyer's ***!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Nonsense. The issue arose most often with one brand of hose that had a slick outer jacket and whether it was loaded right or not made not difference.

And, NO, I will not name the brand of hose because their lawyers can kick my lawyer's ***!
    For what? It is only slander if it isn't true.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    For what? It is only slander if it isn't true.
    Oh it's 100 percent true. And it doesn't matter, because if they sue me I have to defend myself and I have neither the time nor the money to endure that, even if I win.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information