Forum Member

Default FDNY Chauffeurs- Triple stage pump/ highrise pump question

Can anyone here (that is familiar with the waterous 3 stage pumps) answer a basic question? What are the 3 large gauges on the pump panel, or what do they represent? In New Orleans, and everywhere else that I've seen, we have 2 large gauges high on the pump panel. Obviously, they are for Master Suction and Master Discharge (different verbage from one manufacturer to another) on both single and twin stage pumps. The photos that I've seen of high pressure/ 3 stage pumps show a third large guage where the other two master gauges are located. Do these show pressures of the pump in series, only when transfer valve is set in a particular mode, etc. ? The only photos show the apparatus in "Road" mode, so none of them have any reading. Any info is greatly appreciated, and if possible can you provide how they are marked on the panel, or what Seagrave/Waterous refer to them as?

Forum Member

Because water can be discharged off of the main pump and the high pressure stage pump at the same time the third gauge is probably for the high pressure stage.

Forum Member

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I have seen this on one pumper.

On the pump panel you had the normal 6" Master Intake, Master Discharge gauge. The third one was marked Pump Pressure. Not knowing how it was plumbed, I am assuming that the pump pressure gauge was off the center of the volute chamber. Again, that's an educated guess, and the only one I've ever seen.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Default Any FDNY Chauffeurs here?

Hoping to get the legends or markings on these gauges. Any other info on how the system (including the transfer valve) works will be great. Thank you in advance.

Forum Member

The main pump has a regular transfer valve. Opening of a discharge valve from discharge of the main pump to the intake of the extra pressure stage pump results in HP through 3 stages. If you would like a drawing of the pump e-mail me and I can send you one.

Forum Member

Default Thanks!

I appreciate your taking the time to repond to my question, and I'm going to take you up on your offer to send drawings. Email is: Enigmedic@aol.com

Thread Information