Forum Member

Default NFPA and Helmets in the Cab

What does everyone do with there helmets inside the cab. Now they don't want us to wear the helmet, so are you installing the helmet holding brackets??? Do you let your firefighters wear their helmet??? We are looking for advice or idea's on what other depatments are doing.

Forum Member

with new apparatus we are essentially "forced" by circumstance to have helmet holders. Older apparatus have the helmets just placed in the cab somewhere.

Let's talk fire trucks!

The holders don't have to be installed if your members are "required" to store their helmets in a compartment enroute to the call.

The reason for the helmet holder rule is that cab ceiling height, seat height, and seatbelt placement were never done with the idea that that a FF would have the helmet on while responding. In the case of a rollover crash, there is a greater chance of a compression neck injury if the member is wearing their helmet.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

To add, the "loose" helmet is also a hazardous flying object, hence the NFPA adding the requirement.

Even before the NFPA stepped in, we installed secure tabbed hooks for the FF's to hang their helmets on. As for SOP/SOG, they have not been allowed to wear the helmets for close to a decade now.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

You want the "legal" response or the real one?

We have a cabinet door on the interior that is for helmet storage while the rig is in motion.

Get in, sit down, place helmet on floor near your feet, SCBA straps on, seatbelt on. When get to scene, disconnect seatbelt and pickup helmet as you stand up and exit.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    To add, the "loose" helmet is also a hazardous flying object, hence the NFPA adding the requirement.

Even before the NFPA stepped in, we installed secure tabbed hooks for the FF's to hang their helmets on. As for SOP/SOG, they have not been allowed to wear the helmets for close to a decade now.

FM1
    That's what we've done for years, although the new apparatus that's being delivered has the helment holders installed at the factory. You can also add a velcro strip or one of those nylon straps and buckles to keep them from swinging on the hooks. All together it wouldn't cost more than around 15 bucks to secure a helmet with a hook and strap. Much cheaper than those brackets that I believe are well over $100 apiece.

Forum Member

We use a compartment. Not perfect, but compliant and effective.
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

MembersZone Subscriber

How about just hold them in your lap!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    How about just hold them in your lap!
    Yea, this is the one.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I guess I could, if there weren't so many other places to place it such as the floor or seat next to me.

Thread Information